WS2_32.dll

Betty

Please help me, anytime that I want to download some
application or software, I got the message " required
dll.file not found WS2_32.dll , thanks for your help

The file is part of the Winsock 2 Update.

Go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/default.asp
for the Winsock 2 Update for Win 95, and the Year 2000 Update for Winsock 2.

Winsock 2:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/WUAdminTools/S_WUNetworkingTools/W95Sockets2/Default.asp

Read all the info on the web page, and all the links.
Also linked on that page, under Recommended Updates- Networking,
is the Year 2000 Update for Winsock2, which must be installed afterwards:

Microsoft DUN 1.3 and Winsock2 Year 2000 Update
http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUNetworking/dunwinsky2k/Default.asp

I would be wondering why you are getting the error whenever you try to download something, however.

Update your anti-virus app and then run a full-system virus scan.

Use CWShredder, the CoolWeb removal tool, available here:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
http://aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip

In addition, install Ad-Aware 6 free edition, start it, click its 'Check for Updates' link in the app to install updates, then use it to scan your system, and remove what it finds.
Ad-Aware:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Install, update and run SpyBot Search & Destroy, scan your system, and then remove the items in RED only.
SpyBot S&D:
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 07:13:33 -0400, "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com>

>The file is part of the Winsock 2 Update.

It's generally present on Win98 and later but not Win95 unless
retro-fitted. As such, it's a common reason for apps that need it to
appear incompatible with Win95.

If using utilities against commercial malware, this is one of two
dependencies you will commonly see:

1) Needs Winsock 2

Affected: AdAware, Spybot 1.2 (haven't tested 1.3 without Winsock 2)

The nice thing is, these two apps don't really need Winsock 2
installed as such. All they need are the two relevant .DLL to be
sitting in thier own base directories, so if you are reluctant to
upgrade Winsock in the troubleshooting context, do that.

The files are WS2_32.DLL and WS2HELP.DLL - just make sure these really
are what the names suggest, however.

2) Needs Visual Basic 6 runtime library

Affected: Tools from "merijn", others

The merijn site is clear on this and states all utils from the site
require this. Having said that, the tool I use most often from there
(Cool Web Search Shredder) hasn't complained so far.

>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
The most accurate diagnostic instrument
in medicine is the Retrospectoscope
>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

Betty

After I download the winsock 2 update, I could run Adaware
aplication, but I have a problem when I try to open
microsoft page updates, I have warning an error has
ocurred in the scrip on this page
URL;HTTP;/www.microsoft.com/window95/downloads/contents/UWc
ritical/q271216/default.asp Do you want to continue
running scrip, Yes or No, but, any one I click, the
warning come back and I can not go to the page. Please
help me too. Thanks

What version of Internet Explorer are you using?

Click Start>Settings> Control Panel> Internet Options> Advanced tab:
Check the box for "Disable script debugging"
AND
Un-check the box for "Display a notification about every script error"
Click OK.

See here -
How to disable script and runtime errors in Internet Explorer:
http://www.sureshotsoftware.com/articles/scripterrors.html