hard drive dying

This pertains to my Windows 95 machine which I still use. Last Fall I was
booting the computer and it beeped and said there were possible errors on the
disk and I had to run a thorough scan to check the drive. It found one bad
sector. I rebooted the computer and it ran scandisk again and found another
bad sector. It was okay until this Spring when it found another bad sector.
Now yesterday and today it found two more bad sectors.
I've had the computer for seven years and have always made it a habit to run a
thorough scandisk and a defrag on a regular basis. I have a few questions.
First, based on your experience and the fact that scandisk is only finding one
or two errors at a time how much longer do you think the drive is going to
last?
Second, it takes scandisk at least 30 minutes to complete a scan, and that's if
it doesn't find any errors. If more disk errors pop up during a boot sequence
is it safe to stop scandisk and let Windows finish booting up and then run
scandisk at a more convenient time?

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Make and model of the hard drive?

Download, install, and run the free diagnostic utility that
you can obtain from its manufacturer's site.

If you don't know the make and model try using the Belarc
Advisor - creates an analysis of the hardware and software
on a computer - http://www.belarc.com/

Eric,
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/
http://www.sharedbirthday.co.uk/

Bart

Op 07 Jul 2004 05:40:46 GMT schreef djs0302@aol.comnospam (DJS0302):

>This pertains to my Windows 95 machine which I still use. Last Fall I was
>booting the computer and it beeped and said there were possible errors on the
>disk and I had to run a thorough scan to check the drive. It found one bad
>sector. I rebooted the computer and it ran scandisk again and found another
>bad sector. It was okay until this Spring when it found another bad sector.
>Now yesterday and today it found two more bad sectors.
>I've had the computer for seven years and have always made it a habit to run a
>thorough scandisk and a defrag on a regular basis. I have a few questions.
>First, based on your experience and the fact that scandisk is only finding one
>or two errors at a time how much longer do you think the drive is going to
>last?
>Second, it takes scandisk at least 30 minutes to complete a scan, and that's if
>it doesn't find any errors. If more disk errors pop up during a boot sequence
>is it safe to stop scandisk and let Windows finish booting up and then run
>scandisk at a more convenient time?

As you state in the subject of your posting, your HD is dying on you.
(Happened to me too once before)
Make backups now !!
It may give way any day soon, so tomorrow may be too late.

>Second, it takes scandisk at least 30 minutes to complete a scan, and that's if
>it doesn't find any errors. If more disk errors pop up during a boot sequence
>is it safe to stop scandisk and let Windows finish booting up and then run
>scandisk at a more convenient time?

Sounds tricky to me ...
I wouldn't dare, but then again who am I ?

Greetings,

Bart
--
Bart Broersma
broersma.juda_ANTISPAM_@tiscali.nl

If Scandisk takes a long time that may indicate that it is re-testing
sectors before declaring them OK. This suggests that the list of bad sectors
will continue to grow. The only problem with stopping the scan and doing it
later is that Windows might not boot, or that a bad sector will cause loss
of data, for instance when you try to save a file. With the price of hard
disks, I wouldn't hesitate about replacing it.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (DTS)