2 GB RAM Suggestion for Asus 478 Motherboard

Sfc-Hoot

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I have an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe with an Intel P4 3Ghz (prescott) Chip, ATI AIW9800Pro Video, 1GB (2x512) of OCZ memory OCZ4001024P3DC-K 3-4-4-8 and I would like some recommendations on increasing the memory TO 2 GB Either adding 2x512 or pulling an placing 2x1024. Eventually i will hand this system down and put the original memory back in it and use the new memory in a future AMD Project with Monster Video....so Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

Sfc-Hoot

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I should have mentioned that when I doubled up the same type of memory, the system became very unstable and I would almost prefer to go with two new 1GB x 2

Sfc-Hoot

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Ok, thank you for your suggestions....I would like a suggestion on memory that I can buy in 2x1GB sticks that i can put in this machine and in 6 months when I am finally single again I can move into my new monster AMD Build....

I would like to do it this way so that I am buying some parts now that I can put in my monster machine, but that wont sit on a shelf while i am waiting to gather funds and singleness....

Hoot

xientist

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
One thing of getting 2 1GB Rams is that you'll leave the 2 other slots for future upgrades. However, for my case, i find that my 925XE motherboard has a noticeable increase in performance using 2x 1GB configuration than 4x 512MB... coould be the latency problems...

Sfc-Hoot

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I was looking for someone with success using this mobo and 5x512. I badly want an AMD 939 system with dual sli, I just can force myself to hit submit for the credit card processing because I have a decent working system.....however if I tell myself the ole...."its making my current system better" i can buy components piecemeal and fool myself into a new system a little sooner.

Yes I know i am nuts but that is just how i think. if something is good enough, I cannot buy the same thing only cooler just for the coolness factor.

Thanks for everyones suggestions.....

Hoot

Sfc-Hoot

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Guys,

Thank you for all the info. I will have to make some tough decisions, however I think i will lean towards getting a 2X1GB set and put my 2x512 aside until i am ready for my new machine and then put it back in this one so my daughter can have a nice computer too.

Thanks again.

Hoot