How do I re-format my C Drive & reinstall Windows 95?

We have a system built in 1997 that we wish to dontate to charity. How do we wipe out all of our data? I know the best way is to reformat the C: drive and reinstall the operating system (W95). I have many disks/floppys including: Original W95 CD, original W95 flopopy with handwriting "Not Y2K version - use other floppy", floppy marked W95 Y2K Start up Disk 12-99. I can boot to DOS but don't know where to go from there. I don't need to create any partitions, just want to wipe out the hard drive and re-install W95. Please help so we can get this antique out of our closet! Thank you.
--
Elaine
2 answers Last reply

    "Elaine" <Elaine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We have a system built in 1997 that we wish to dontate to
    charity. How do we wipe out all of our data? I know the best
    way is to reformat the C: drive and reinstall the operating
    system (W95). I have many disks/floppys including: Original W95
    CD, original W95 flopopy with handwriting "Not Y2K version - use
    other floppy", floppy marked W95 Y2K Start up Disk 12-99. I can
    boot to DOS but don't know where to go from there. I don't need
    to create any partitions, just want to wipe out the hard drive
    and re-install W95. Please help so we can get this antique out
    of our closet! Thank you.

    This will destroy all your data: emails, email addresses,
    documents, etc. You have been warned (g).

    I assume you have the Product ID (OEM code or Product Key or
    Certificate of Authenticity) for your Windows 95

    Create a boot floppy using an appropriate utility for Windows 95
    from www.bootdisk.com. By default Windows 95 does not have
    cd-rom drivers on boot floppys. By using this utility, you
    _will_ have access to the cd-rom.

    Boot with the floppy. This may require a change to your bios.
    Put the Windows 95 CD in the drive.

    Type (without the quotes) "format c: /q /b" (the spaces are
    important) and hit enter. Answer Y and enter when it asks you to
    confirm. It will ask you for a volume name, any combination of
    letters and numbers will do, up to 8 characters (or it can be
    left blank)

    Type the following sequence and hit enter after each line. (F3
    means strike the F3 function key). There is a space after the md
    and the copy, but no other spaces.

    c:
    md \windows
    F3\options
    F3\cabs
    cF3
    copy r:\win95\*.*
    setup

    You can remove the cd and floppy at this time.
    Follow the instructions onscreen for installing Windows 95.

    Just put in your product recovery cd /Turn off the PC
    then restart it again.It will tell you everything you
    have to do.

Windows 95 Windows