How do I re-format my C Drive & reinstall Windows 95?

elaine

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2003

We have a system built in 1997 that we wish to dontate to charity. How do we wipe out all of our data? I know the best way is to reformat the C: drive and reinstall the operating system (W95). I have many disks/floppys including: Original W95 CD, original W95 flopopy with handwriting "Not Y2K version - use other floppy", floppy marked W95 Y2K Start up Disk 12-99. I can boot to DOS but don't know where to go from there. I don't need to create any partitions, just want to wipe out the hard drive and re-install W95. Please help so we can get this antique out of our closet! Thank you.
--
Elaine

"Elaine" <Elaine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a system built in 1997 that we wish to dontate to
charity. How do we wipe out all of our data? I know the best
way is to reformat the C: drive and reinstall the operating
system (W95). I have many disks/floppys including: Original W95
CD, original W95 flopopy with handwriting "Not Y2K version - use
other floppy", floppy marked W95 Y2K Start up Disk 12-99. I can
boot to DOS but don't know where to go from there. I don't need
to create any partitions, just want to wipe out the hard drive
and re-install W95. Please help so we can get this antique out
of our closet! Thank you.

This will destroy all your data: emails, email addresses,
documents, etc. You have been warned (g).

I assume you have the Product ID (OEM code or Product Key or
Certificate of Authenticity) for your Windows 95

Create a boot floppy using an appropriate utility for Windows 95
from www.bootdisk.com. By default Windows 95 does not have
cd-rom drivers on boot floppys. By using this utility, you
_will_ have access to the cd-rom.

Boot with the floppy. This may require a change to your bios.
Put the Windows 95 CD in the drive.

Type (without the quotes) "format c: /q /b" (the spaces are
important) and hit enter. Answer Y and enter when it asks you to
confirm. It will ask you for a volume name, any combination of
letters and numbers will do, up to 8 characters (or it can be
left blank)

Type the following sequence and hit enter after each line. (F3
means strike the F3 function key). There is a space after the md
and the copy, but no other spaces.

c:
md \windows
F3\options
F3\cabs
cF3
copy r:\win95\*.*
setup

You can remove the cd and floppy at this time.
Follow the instructions onscreen for installing Windows 95.

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Just put in your product recovery cd /Turn off the PC
then restart it again.It will tell you everything you
have to do.