Basic card for output to tv?

titanik

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I'm looking for a cheapo video card that can output video to my TV via S-Video output. I don't do much gaming so I don't need anything serious. I would prefer dual so I can work on the computer while playing the video on the TV. Can anyone recommend a card for me?

Right now I'm running an ancient video card (TNT2-M64) with a MSI KT4-Ultra motherboard, AMD XP 1500+ and 1.25GB of RAM.

cleeve

Illustrious
Get a cheap all-in-wonder 9600. Games decently for the price, has nice TV input & output capabilities. Video editing software, remote, and lots of other extras too.

Great card, not the best at games but quite playable.

pauldh

Illustrious
If you have not already used a computer displayed on a TV via SVHS, just be aware that it is no monitor replacement. You'll have to run lower resolution, increased font sizes, and try and balance between blurry text or shaking text. I'd absolutely hate using one for most tasks like Office Aps, internet surfing, email, etc. Gaming is actually one of the better uses. Mine is basically just for a spare gamer, recording/watching tv shows, and listening to music through the home theater setup. I can last maybe 15 minutes on the web before getting fed up with it.

titanik

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I'd only be using the tv to watch movies off my desktop. No spreadsheets...

The All-In-Wonders have nasty reviews, especially the drivers. What about some $30-$60 "generic" or equivalent?

pauldh

Illustrious
I've used quite a few AIW's; no complaints.

I'd say a radeon 8500le would do you fine, and they are dirt cheap. But better yet(since you won't game on it) go for a Radeon 9200 with passive heatsink. My last couple cheap Sapphire 8500le's had noisy fans. If you want to game, a Radeon 9550 128-bit or Radeon 9600 should be your minimum.

titanik

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
First of all thanks for all the help so far.

I do minimal gaming and have had no problems using my TNT2-M64. Would these Radeons provide at least that level? If so, that's fine.

The 9550 looks cheap at Amazon. Is this the one?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._3/104-8389959-4746339?n=507846&s=pc&v=glance

Does the 9550 have the abilty to simultaneously run video (normal desktop applications, etc) to my pc and different video (movie) to my TV? The specs say it's "dual channel" but I don't understand and want to confirm. http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9550/specs.html

As for the AIW reviews. I read bad reviews on CNET - I always check user reviews there over the editorial reviews. I also saw people reporrting problems in reviews listed on various online retailer reviews listed with each item. Some people like it once they get it working but there were a hge number of compaints regarding drivers/software. Sounds like a nightmare if you have any trouble.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
I have a 9600XT AIW, and it works great! The drivers weren't any problems, but the included video editing software was pretty crappy. (I think it was Pinnacle Studio 8 - really buggy and crashy) But you don't need that to make the card work well in your computer. All features ran as advertised.
I read CNET stuff with a large grain of salt - the customer reviews even more so.

I haven't set it up like you want it (w/ the S-video), but its dual-monitor compatible, etc etc.

The "dual-channel" mentioned on the 9550 refers to the memory on the video card. I am not sure if it can run like you want it to.
Hopefully someone else can answer that part. :)

cleeve

Illustrious
I do minimal gaming and have had no problems using my TNT2-M64. Would these Radeons provide at least that level?

Even a lowly Radeon 9550 is approximately 5 to 10 times faster than a TNT2-M64 as far as gaming goes.

I'm not even kidding.

titanik

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Oooo, me likey. Cheap. Does dual. I won't be feeding any CATV so this looks perfect. I'll order. Thanks everyone!