Upgrade computer

Hello, My name is Christopher I am trying to help my
mother upgrade her computer, she has a windows 95 version
and want to upgrade to a 6.0 version. Is there anyone
whom can tell or email me on how to do this??
Thank you for your help

Christopher Peugh
Vickey@quixnet.net

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Your mother must be trying to upgrade to Internet Explorer
6.0 SP1 to access sites that don't work with an earlier
version, but it doesn't work on Windows 95, so download
Mozilla Firefox from http://www.mozilla.org/.

In my opinion, it's a better browser than Internet
Explorer and is much less prone to breaches of security.

Eric,
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/
http://www.sharedbirthday.co.uk/

"Christopher Peugh" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello, My name is Christopher I am trying to help my
>mother upgrade her computer, she has a windows 95 version
>and want to upgrade to a 6.0 version. Is there anyone
>whom can tell or email me on how to do this??

Not sure what you're asking for. There's no 6.0 version of Windows.
There is a 6.0 version of Internet Explorer, but it won't run on
Win95. (IE 5.5SP2 will, it's available here:
http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit. Newer browsers from Netscape and
Mozilla will also work.)

If it's really the operating system you want to upgrade, you probably
will want to look for a Win98SE full retail CD or Win98SE upgrade CD.
(Avoid OEM disks, they won't upgrade an existing system.)

But what are you really trying to accomplish?

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

E-mail support not available - sorry. It is not a good idea to include your
e-mail address in a newsgroup post as it will be harvested by spammers and
viruses

The upgrade from Windows 95 would be Windows 98 or Windows 98SE. There is no
Windows 6 version.

What exactly are you trying to upgrade?
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (DTS)

Christopher Peugh wrote:

> Hello, My name is Christopher I am trying to help my
> mother upgrade her computer, she has a windows 95 version
> and want to upgrade to a 6.0 version. Is there anyone
> whom can tell or email me on how to do this??
> Thank you for your help

I assume you mean she wants to upgrade MSN Messenger or Internet
Explorer to version 6? That is not possible with Windows 95. To do this
she first needs to upgrade the operating system from Windows 95 to
Windows 98 or newer but that may not work with her hardware (computer).
I've read somewhere that one should at least have a 166 - 200 MHz
processor and 32 MB RAM (memory) for Windows 98 to run smoothly. That
may not be the case if she bought the computer around 1998 or earlier.

The latest version of MSN Messenger for Windows 95 is 5.0
The latest version of Internet Explorer for Win95 is 5.5 sp2.

You can get MSN Messenger 5 from Microsoft's web site. Look for "Windows
95". However, Internet Explorer 5.5 or earlier for Windows 95 cannot be
obtained from Microsoft anymore. You can find the last version for
Windows 95 on http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit/5.5_SP2 where you can
download the full exe-file of over 84 MB (takes a while!) - but your
mother may already have this version, I suppose.

A used CD with Windows 98 can probably be bought or given to you almost
everywhere. ;-)
Make sure you have a valid product ID number!

There are of course other *new and updated* browsers out there that
still work with Windows 95, but they require more from the hardware than
most PC's from, say, 1995-97 can manage.

Hope this clears things up!

--
/ Frank, Sweden.