[Hardware upgrade] It's a new flight sim! :-)

Hi,

It took a little while before my local computer guy could take my
computer and install the new hardware and do some other bits of
maintenance, but he took it yesterday, and returned it today! :)

Here's the new setup:

Motherboard: ASUS P4S533 MX (not changed...yet)
CPU: P4 2.8 Ghz (new)
RAM: 1 GB (512x2) PC2700 DDR SDRAM (new)
Video card: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro w/128 MB memory (new)

Naturally, the first thing I did was to install some nice new water
textures...and they work! I can even see those fancy reflections
now! :)

I've also pushed most of the scenery sliders to their maximum
settings, and everything is looking very nice so far.

I've increased my target frame rate to 25 FPS, and even flying over
Seattle, and landing at KSEA the frame rate never drops below 22 or
so. Usually it's pushing up against the target limit, and movement
is very smooth! :)

Now, I have some questions about anti-aliasing and anisotropic
filtering (two things I couldn't use with my old video card)...

Currently, I have them set at these values (to be controlled from the
video card settings, not by the programs):

anti-aliasing: 4x (highest possible is 6x)
anisotropic filtering: 8x (highest possible is 16x)

Everything looks good, but are there better settings I should try for
these two things?

And finally, how about "Vertical Sync" and "TRUFORM"? I don't really
know what these are for. Currently, "Vertical Sync" is set to be
controlled by applications (currently in the middle between
"performance" and "quality"), and "TRUFORM" is off.

Finally, I think I've now installed the latest Catalyst drivers
(v5.4), but when I look at the driver version in my video card
settings, it says this:

Date: 3/22/2005
Driver version: 6.14.10.6525 <---is that the correct number?

If I've done something wrong with my driver installation, I would
appreciate some instruction in how to go back and do it correctly.

Any ideas for further tweaking my new video card and/or fs9 settings
would be much appreciated. Thanks!

- --
Melissa

PGP Public Keys: http://www.freewebs.com/kuviahunnihautik/

Nice to see you back.

Mr. Steve of (Bellingham originally)
"Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message

> [...]

> anisotropic filtering: 8x (highest possible is 16x)
>
> Everything looks good, but are there better settings I should try for
> these two things?
>
> And finally, how about "Vertical Sync" and "TRUFORM"? I don't really
> know what these are for. Currently, "Vertical Sync" is set to be
> controlled by applications (currently in the middle between
> "performance" and "quality"), and "TRUFORM" is off.
>
> Finally, I think I've now installed the latest Catalyst drivers
> (v5.4), but when I look at the driver version in my video card
> settings, it says this:
>
> Date: 3/22/2005
> Driver version: 6.14.10.6525 <---is that the correct number?
>
> If I've done something wrong with my driver installation, I would
> appreciate some instruction in how to go back and do it correctly.
>
> Any ideas for further tweaking my new video card and/or fs9 settings

Congratulations, Melissa. Now you have even more things to tinker with. I
am running AA at 4x and AF at 8x on my card and am pretty satisfied with
those settings. Things sure take on a different appearance with the new set
up don't they? Have fun. Bill

The driver versions are confusing. But one is the Catalyst version and the other should be the actual video card driver
version.

Vertical sync just means don't show the picture on screen until the entire screen has painted. Probably not an issue
either way but FPS could be a bit faster with it off.

Play with the AA filters and see what you like best. The more filtering the less FPS. Anti-aliasing is the important
one.

Make sure DAC snoop is turned off in BIOS.

Happy flying and congratulations on your new hardware!!!!

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"Lawn Dart" <willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> wrote in message news:ln2q33dgw4bw.dlg@uni-berlin.de...

> Hi,
>
> It took a little while before my local computer guy could take my
> computer and install the new hardware and do some other bits of
> maintenance, but he took it yesterday, and returned it today! :)
>
> Here's the new setup:
>
> Motherboard: ASUS P4S533 MX (not changed...yet)
> CPU: P4 2.8 Ghz (new)
> RAM: 1 GB (512x2) PC2700 DDR SDRAM (new)
> Video card: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro w/128 MB memory (new)
>
> Naturally, the first thing I did was to install some nice new water
> textures...and they work! I can even see those fancy reflections
> now! :)
>
> I've also pushed most of the scenery sliders to their maximum
> settings, and everything is looking very nice so far.
>
> I've increased my target frame rate to 25 FPS, and even flying over
> Seattle, and landing at KSEA the frame rate never drops below 22 or
> so. Usually it's pushing up against the target limit, and movement
> is very smooth! :)
>
> Now, I have some questions about anti-aliasing and anisotropic
> filtering (two things I couldn't use with my old video card)...
>
> Currently, I have them set at these values (to be controlled from the
> video card settings, not by the programs):
>
> anti-aliasing: 4x (highest possible is 6x)
> anisotropic filtering: 8x (highest possible is 16x)
>
> Everything looks good, but are there better settings I should try for
> these two things?
>
> And finally, how about "Vertical Sync" and "TRUFORM"? I don't really
> know what these are for. Currently, "Vertical Sync" is set to be
> controlled by applications (currently in the middle between
> "performance" and "quality"), and "TRUFORM" is off.
>
> Finally, I think I've now installed the latest Catalyst drivers
> (v5.4), but when I look at the driver version in my video card
> settings, it says this:
>
> Date: 3/22/2005
> Driver version: 6.14.10.6525 <---is that the correct number?
>
> If I've done something wrong with my driver installation, I would
> appreciate some instruction in how to go back and do it correctly.
>
> Any ideas for further tweaking my new video card and/or fs9 settings
> would be much appreciated. Thanks!
>
> - --
> Melissa
>
> PGP Public Keys: http://www.freewebs.com/kuviahunnihautik/

2D version and the .NET Version. Same stuff different interface.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.