Upgrade Licensing Issues

sammy

We have a customer running DOS based applications for
their manufacturing lines - they want to upgrade from
Windows 95 to Windows 98, Second Edition for stability
reasons . . . their computers are Pentium II's and won't
be able to handle anything higher than Windows 98.

They aren't going to upgrade their computers as there is
no need . . . they have Windows 98 media and want to do
the right thing and buy licenses for all 300 PC's.

Microsoft has told them that licenses aren't available.
The customer is just shrugging their shoulders and
laughing. Contacting Microsoft directly to discuss this
issue is a joke. You would think that if Microsoft were so
worried about piracy, they would allow customers to
contact them to discuss licensing options.

Does anyone have any suggestions for these guys?

sammy

Sorry - was able to speak directly with Microsoft. They
said that Windows XP Pro license would work. Thanks!

"Sammy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Sorry - was able to speak directly with Microsoft. They
>said that Windows XP Pro license would work. Thanks!

A Windows XP Pro license that includes downgrade rights will do what
you want.

Regular retail Windows XP Pro licenses will not, as they do not
include downgrade rights. But a multiple license version of Windows
XP Pro will normally include downgrade rights to run Windows 98 Second
Edition, as will the generic OEM version of Windows XP Pro purchased
from Microsoft.

However before laying out the cash for 300 XP Pro licenses you should
read the End User License Agreement for the exact license that your
are buying so as to ensure that the downgrade rights are included.

You would then need a single copy of Windows 98 Second Edition Retail
Upgrade (or Retail Full Install) as the source for your installations.
You would use the product key from that copy for each and every
installation. You could also use an OEM version of Windows 98 Second
Edition (probably easier to find than the retail versions) provided
you were going to do clean installs of Windows 98 SE. OEM versions
will normally not install as an upgrade over top of Windows 95.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP