Bad clusters

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 17, 2004 10:03:39 AM

When I start my defrag utility I get detected bad clusters
on drive do you want to continue. Is this serious

More about : bad clusters

Anonymous
July 18, 2004 1:47:47 AM

"Altona" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When I start my defrag utility I get detected bad clusters
>on drive do you want to continue. Is this serious

Very serious. Repeated instances of bad clusters on a hard drive are
very often a portent of impending doom.

Determine the make of the hard drive and go to the manufacturer's web
site where you will find a free diagnostic utility. Download this
and run it Usually they create a bootable 3.5 inch diskette and when
you reboot the computer with the diskette in the A: drive the
diagnostic program will load automatically.

If the diagnostic test detects a problem with the drive then you can
safely assume that it is about to join the dearly departed; and you
should take immediate steps to back up your data and to obtain a
replacement hard drive.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--