Bad clusters

When I start my defrag utility I get detected bad clusters
on drive do you want to continue. Is this serious
1 answer Last reply
More about clusters

    "Altona" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >When I start my defrag utility I get detected bad clusters
    >on drive do you want to continue. Is this serious

    Very serious. Repeated instances of bad clusters on a hard drive are
    very often a portent of impending doom.

    Determine the make of the hard drive and go to the manufacturer's web
    site where you will find a free diagnostic utility. Download this
    and run it Usually they create a bootable 3.5 inch diskette and when
    you reboot the computer with the diskette in the A: drive the
    diagnostic program will load automatically.

    If the diagnostic test detects a problem with the drive then you can
    safely assume that it is about to join the dearly departed; and you
    should take immediate steps to back up your data and to obtain a
    replacement hard drive.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --