VPN and internet

Am I correct in saying that if my Win XP machine is set up to accept
incoming VPN connections, that I am NOT able to browse the web from the same
machine on the same connection?
Thanks in advance - RZ

No, you are not correct.

If you are using the built in VPN client of Windows XP then you simple go into the properties of the connection, go to networking, go into the TCPIP properties, go into the advanced button and turn off "use default gateway on remote network" If the remote network has multiple subnets you need to access through the VPN then you will likely loose access to all the subnets except for the one your VPN router is directly connected to. If you require access to the subnets and your local internet connection at the same time you will need to manually create a batch file to setup routing entries directing traffic for those subnets over the VPN (using "route add" command)

--
WARNING! Email address has been altered for spam resistance.
Mike Drechsler (mike.newsgroup@-deletethispart-.upcraft.com)

"RZ" <spam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:DbGdnU34w9D-qlrdRVn2ug@giganews.com...
> Am I correct in saying that if my Win XP machine is set up to accept
> incoming VPN connections, that I am NOT able to browse the web from the same
> machine on the same connection?
> Thanks in advance - RZ

This tab does not exist on the TCP/IP properties page. I see:

Network access
Allow callers to access my local area network

TCP/IP address assignment
Assign TCP/IP addresses automatically using DHCP
Specify TCP/IP address
From:____________
TO:______________
Total:_____________
Allow calling computer to specify its own IP address
OK

This is on the computer that is receiving the connection. I would like to be
able to
leave my computer at home open to a VPN connection, but still be able to
access
the internet. Does anyone know if this possible?
Thanks - RZ
=============================

"Mike Drechsler - SPAM PROTECTED EMAIL"
<mike.newsgroup@-DELETETHISPART-.upcraft.com> wrote in message
No, you are not correct.

If you are using the built in VPN client of Windows XP then you simple go
into the properties of the connection, go to networking, go into the TCPIP
properties, go into the advanced button and turn off "use default gateway on
remote network" If the remote network has multiple subnets you need to
access through the VPN then you will likely loose access to all the subnets
except for the one your VPN router is directly connected to. If you require
access to the subnets and your local internet connection at the same time
you will need to manually create a batch file to setup routing entries
directing traffic for those subnets over the VPN (using "route add" command)

--
WARNING! Email address has been altered for spam resistance.
Mike Drechsler (mike.newsgroup@-deletethispart-.upcraft.com)

"RZ" <spam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Am I correct in saying that if my Win XP machine is set up to accept
> incoming VPN connections, that I am NOT able to browse the web from the
same
> machine on the same connection?
> Thanks in advance - RZ

TRENDING THREADS