Overclocking AMD Athlon 2900+

BEASTizzle

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I know you guys have probally never heard of this cpu but I have an amazing fan that keeps my computer cool, but when i bring the cpu clock up to 210 it boots all the way until windows comes and loads but then it just reboots. I checked the temperature and it is the same as if I never overclocked, i dont get it. And 210 isnt overclocking that much, so what is the problem?

XP 2900? sure have never heard of that

when you overclock the fsb it overclocks everything with it - cpu/agp/pci/ram/ide etc.

Might be a vcore limited thing, or ram, or anything! heat mightnt be the issue.

chronic

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2004
Yeah their are other ways, for 1 you need to check if the multiplyer is unlocked if so clock by that way as that will not put the mother board through hell, if the multiplyer is locked then u can find posts on the net about how to unlock them,

Just google search it: how to unlock amd 2900 xp multiplyer.

Clocking by fsb is alright to a point but never take it to far. Hope you have luck if so remember to post about it, :D

BEASTizzle

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Yeah their are other ways, for 1 you need to check if the multiplyer is unlocked if so clock by that way as that will not put the mother board through hell, if the multiplyer is locked then u can find posts on the net about how to unlock them,

Just google search it: how to unlock amd 2900 xp multiplyer.

Clocking by fsb is alright to a point but never take it to far. Hope you have luck if so remember to post about it, :D
Thanks, but how do i check if the multiplyer in locked or unlocked? And how do i oc by the multiplyer?
Thanks for help, please just answer these two questions

BEASTizzle

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Here are my cpu specs:
AMD Athlon 2900+
SOYO Kt600 Dragon Plus<-- MoBo
Radeon 9800 Pro
1 gig of ram
400 Wat Power Supply

chronic

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2004
Ok bro it should be in the bios where you can change the fsb rate, it should be something like 12x as a default try changing it to 13x and see if their is a change in your core speed of the chip, also remember when clocking u may need to up the voltage abit, but forget that for now just try putting the multiplyer up by 1 for a test, if the change makes no speed increase go back into the bios and see if it has gone back to 12x if so u may find that the chip is locked, let us know how it goes,

and just incase u ask press the DEL button to get into the bios at the start of power up of the machine,

ow also if u get just a blank screen after clocking then u need to reset the cmos bat, put the jumper on pin 2-3, after taking the power cable out of the back of the pc, leave for 20 secs then put the jumper back on pin 1-2 then plug the power back in, u will have to set ur bios settings again, but worth it when it comes to OC ing,
Good Luck, Keep me informed, :wink:

chronic

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2004
ok, looks like it will be by fsb then, but u can get strips to put on the chip that connects the bridges 2gether which can unlock the multiplyer, i don't know where to get them yet, i'm looking for 1 for my 2800+ barton.

Will let u know if i find them. :D