Closed

how to open a winmail.dat file -- another thing

hi,
i dLoaded a program called fenton and there were instructions for using
it to open .dat file types (by default)
1. there were no dat files listed under file types.
2. i must have done something wrong b/c with "associated extensions (the
dialogue box when one hits "new" as dat" when trying to create the open
action (new) i get "the extension 'dat' is already in use by file type
'datfile'. choose another extension"
i tried also tnf and got the same dialogue (error)
how can i disassociate both tnf and dat and start over?
tnf nor dat (nor datfile) etc are NOT listed in the list of file type
tia
4 answers Last reply
More about open winmail file thing

    You do NOT need to associate .dat files with Fentun.
    Fentun does not associate .dat files so something else has produced
    that (probably unnecessary) association.

    Deleting the .tnf association is not necessary as it has nothing to do
    with opening winmail.dat files.
    If you want to remove it, then go to File TYpes and remove Microsoft
    MS-TNEF FORMAT (.tnf) but it will not alter anything.

    I just created a shortcut to Fentun.exe in the folder where my email
    attachments are and I drag winmail.dat files and drop them on that
    shortcut, though I rarely get a good result as most are garbage.

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    Alan Edwards wrote:

    > You do NOT need to associate .dat files with Fentun.
    > Fentun does not associate .dat files so something else has produced
    > that (probably unnecessary) association.

    i'd read 2 instructions showing how to set fenton up for dat and or tnf
    files.

    > Deleting the .tnf association is not necessary as it has nothing to do
    > with opening winmail.dat files.
    > If you want to remove it, then go to File TYpes and remove Microsoft
    > MS-TNEF FORMAT (.tnf) but it will not alter anything.

    thank you -- there were 2 references to MS-TNEF FORMAT (.tnf) and (.dat) both
    relating to fenton which i removed.

    > I just created a shortcut to Fentun.exe in the folder where my email
    > attachments are and I drag winmail.dat files and drop them on that
    > shortcut, though I rarely get a good result as most are garbage.

    i tried that and both the winmail.dat and the winmail.tnf (which i created
    due to whatever i'd done wrong yesterday) and both have "there is no
    attachment found in ms-tnef data"

    also tried wordpad with rtf. result: hieroglyphs
    thanks again
    sincerely
    Tanya

    > ...Alan
    >
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >

    > In microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion, Tanya
    > <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote:
    >
    > >hi,
    > >i dLoaded a program called fenton and there were instructions for using
    > >it to open .dat file types (by default)
    > >1. there were no dat files listed under file types.
    > >2. i must have done something wrong b/c with "associated extensions (the
    > >dialogue box when one hits "new" as dat" when trying to create the open
    > >action (new) i get "the extension 'dat' is already in use by file type
    > >'datfile'. choose another extension"
    > >i tried also tnf and got the same dialogue (error)
    > >how can i disassociate both tnf and dat and start over?
    > >tnf nor dat (nor datfile) etc are NOT listed in the list of file type
    > >tia
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    I will send you a proper .tnf file.
    See how you go.

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion, Tanya
    <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote:

    >Alan Edwards wrote:
    >
    >> You do NOT need to associate .dat files with Fentun.
    >> Fentun does not associate .dat files so something else has produced
    >> that (probably unnecessary) association.
    >
    >i'd read 2 instructions showing how to set fenton up for dat and or tnf
    >files.
    >
    >> Deleting the .tnf association is not necessary as it has nothing to do
    >> with opening winmail.dat files.
    >> If you want to remove it, then go to File TYpes and remove Microsoft
    >> MS-TNEF FORMAT (.tnf) but it will not alter anything.
    >
    >thank you -- there were 2 references to MS-TNEF FORMAT (.tnf) and (.dat) both
    >relating to fenton which i removed.
    >
    >> I just created a shortcut to Fentun.exe in the folder where my email
    >> attachments are and I drag winmail.dat files and drop them on that
    >> shortcut, though I rarely get a good result as most are garbage.
    >
    >i tried that and both the winmail.dat and the winmail.tnf (which i created
    >due to whatever i'd done wrong yesterday) and both have "there is no
    >attachment found in ms-tnef data"
    >
    >also tried wordpad with rtf. result: hieroglyphs
    >thanks again
    >sincerely
    >Tanya
    >

    >> ...Alan
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    >> http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >>

    >> In microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion, Tanya
    >> <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> >hi,
    >> >i dLoaded a program called fenton and there were instructions for using
    >> >it to open .dat file types (by default)
    >> >1. there were no dat files listed under file types.
    >> >2. i must have done something wrong b/c with "associated extensions (the
    >> >dialogue box when one hits "new" as dat" when trying to create the open
    >> >action (new) i get "the extension 'dat' is already in use by file type
    >> >'datfile'. choose another extension"
    >> >i tried also tnf and got the same dialogue (error)
    >> >how can i disassociate both tnf and dat and start over?
    >> >tnf nor dat (nor datfile) etc are NOT listed in the list of file type
    >> >tia

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    thank you very much.
    i dragged it onto fentun.exe and it opened in paint -- no problem -- unlike the
    winmail.dat.
    sincerely
    Tanya

Extension Windows