screen saver turned on automatically

Hi,

Twice today I had 2 different users return to their
Windows 95 workstations to find the screen saver was on
in password protected mode. In each case the wkstn had
never had the screen saver set previously. And in each
case the screen saver would not accept the user's current
system password. The only solution was to manually turn
the computer off and restart it. I am using eTrust 6 with
the July 28/04 signature.

Thanks,
Gumper
1 answer Last reply
More about screen saver turned automatically

    It looks as if the previous settings have somehow been
    retained.

    I would use find to search for *.pwl files, which are
    password files in Win95, and delete them all.

    Then I would search for *.scr files, which are the
    screensaver files and delete them.

    Then open Add/Remove Programs => Windows Setup =>
    Accessories and reinstall the screensavers - if you need
    them.

    A moden SVGA monitor doesn't need to use a screensaver to
    save the screen.

    It would be better to install the free Wizmo utility from
    http://grc.com/ and program it and place an icon on the
    taskbar of each PC for the monitor hibernation setting.

    You just click the icon on the taskbar and the monitor
    shuts down and can be reactivated by moving the mouse.

    Eric,
    http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/
    http://www.sharedbirthday.co.uk/

Cases Windows