Overclocking a Opteron 165 is it good for GAMING?

adreen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Having trouble finding info on this, so sorry if there is already a topic about this. What are some clock rates people are getting with the Opteron 165 on air? Is it easy to overclock it? I have no prior overclocking experience, so that might be a problem. Also is it 2mb (1mb x 2) combined l2 cache? Or 512k x 2 (1mb) l2 cache?

Is the Opteron 165 good for gaming???

Fox_granit

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
Yeah you can do it on both, but if you still want to overclock on air, i'd go with a Zalman heat sink with some Articsilver paste. And yes you can hit atleast 2.8 with it overclocked on air.

sykoben

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
i just ordered myself an opteron 165
this is a really nice dual core processor, 939 pin, works with most new motherboards with at most a bios flash.
there are several batch codes for these processors, and im still not sure which one i will get, and from the sounds of things i wont know untill it gets here, i hope i get a cabye or cabne as i have heard horrible things about the cbbge

at 1.8 ghz stock, with a locked max multiplier of nine, you can set the ram setting from ddr 400 to ddr 333, change the voltage to 1.45 for the cpu, set the fsb at 245, youll bring that baby up to 2.2 stable.
this will set your ddr 400 back to its origional bus speed withought overclocking the ram at all.
as far as overclocking beyond that point, i have heard that the origional hsf
will provide enough cooling for up to 2.5 ghz, thats quite an overclock right there 700mhz WOW, thats withought extra cooling, ive heard of these fuckers flying at 3 ghz no problem with the proper techniques and cooling,

well, i hope youre overclocking goes well, i will have fun with this one when it gets here. as soon as it does and is installed, I`ll be able to really stress out my a64 3000+ which has a venice core. this one can hit up to 3.7 ghz with good cooling . i have tested this one at up to 2.5 but havent found it to be stable at all over 2.2
but im going to try it in a dfi mobo instead of this shitty little a8n-e.

happy overclocking