HELP upgrading from windows 95 to 98

I have been given an Ascentia P Series laptop and it has
windows 95 on it. The person that gave it to me said That
I would hav to " wipe the disk" So I have tried to start
to remove all the progeams that I could but I have no idea
how to remove windows 95 from the computer. I need to
remove it so I can install windows 98. I have the cd to
install 98. But when I try to I am told I have 95 and
need to get the upgrade cd in stead of the install one.
Is it not possible to remove 95 completely and then load
98? If this is something that is possoble PLEASE HELP
me. Tell me what I need to do to remove 95.

Thank you all in advance for any help I can get.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

http://aumha.org has all of the information in tutorial
form that you need.

It's not difficult. You just format the C: drive and then
access the CD-ROM drive with the Windows CD in it, change
to the drive letter for the CD-ROM drive, and enter the
command: setup to make Windows run its setup program.

Just be sure to disable any boot-sector virus protection
setting in the BIOS before you install Windows 98, because
it can interfere with and ruin the setup.

See this page if you don't know what the BIOS is:
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/BIOS.htm

Eric,
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/
http://www.sharedbirthday.co.uk/

Formatting will remove Win95 but read here first:

http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/w98_restore.html

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion, "j-sonspad"

>I have been given an Ascentia P Series laptop and it has
>windows 95 on it. The person that gave it to me said That
>I would hav to " wipe the disk" So I have tried to start
>to remove all the progeams that I could but I have no idea
>how to remove windows 95 from the computer. I need to
>remove it so I can install windows 98. I have the cd to
>install 98. But when I try to I am told I have 95 and
>need to get the upgrade cd in stead of the install one.
>Is it not possible to remove 95 completely and then load
>98? If this is something that is possoble PLEASE HELP
>me. Tell me what I need to do to remove 95.
>
>Thank you all in advance for any help I can get.

If the version of windows you are using is like mine (windows 95B), it
has usb support on the cd (chances are no one bothered installing
it--see www.usbman.com for details on installing usb), it uses the
fat32 filing system, too. I have a windows 98 cd at my disposal, but
why bother! I love '95! -Dave

david.mattern@gmail.com (David Mattern) wrote:

>If the version of windows you are using is like mine (windows 95B), it
>has usb support on the cd (chances are no one bothered installing
>it--see www.usbman.com for details on installing usb), it uses the
>fat32 filing system, too. I have a windows 98 cd at my disposal, but
>why bother! I love '95! -Dave

It has a first attempt at USB support, it's buggy and incomplete, and
simply doesn't work with a lot of USB gear. Most USB peripherals on
the market today specify Win98SE as a minimum requirement.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)