upgrading Windows 95?

My son has just inherited his grandmother's old Compaq
Presario 1230, which only has Windows 95. He needs at
least Windows 98 for his computer games. How do we
upgrade to Windows 98? Is it even sold any more? Any
online downloads available? Many thanks, MN

"Mirembe Nantongo" <mirembe_nantongo@hotmail.com> wrote:

>My son has just inherited his grandmother's old Compaq
>Presario 1230, which only has Windows 95. He needs at
>least Windows 98 for his computer games. How do we
>upgrade to Windows 98? Is it even sold any more? Any
>online downloads available? Many thanks, MN

Microsoft doesn't make or sell it anymore, but you can find it in
larger retailers or at eBay or other Web sites. Look for Win98SE,
since much software and most peripherals these days specify that as a
minimum. Look for a full retail CD, or an upgrade CD. Avoid OEM disks,
since they won't upgrade an existing system. (If you intend to wipe
the disk and install clean, then an OEM disk would work.)

Also, isn't the Presario a laptop? Those usually have proprietary
hardware built-in, and getting drivers can be difficult. It would be a
good idea to look into this problem before you try to upgrade.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

"Mirembe Nantongo" <mirembe_nantongo@hotmail.com> wrote:

>My son has just inherited his grandmother's old Compaq
>Presario 1230, which only has Windows 95. He needs at
>least Windows 98 for his computer games. How do we
>upgrade to Windows 98? Is it even sold any more? Any
>online downloads available? Many thanks, MN

The Presario 1230, according to the HP-Compaq web site, dates from
June 1998. It has a 233 mhz CPU, 32 mb of RAM, and a 3.2 gb hard
drive. The Compaq part number should be 332300-003. And according to
the web site it came with Windows 98

It should therefore give reasonable performance running Windows 98 SE,
which you will probably have to purchase via eBay or another auction
site. And then update with the drivers for that model from the
HP-Compaq web site.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--