windowsxp professional won't reconize floppies from 95

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
August 4, 2004 11:48:20 PM

Hello, I'm running windows xp professional. problem is my
floppies are not reconized or has different format. Is
there a driver or program I can download? Info on disc is
critical.
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 1:33:21 AM

If you can't access files on your floppy disks then
perhaps you don't have the same applications installed on
your new system. For isntance, if the files were created
using MS-WORKS then perhaps you haven't installed WORKS
yet.
In many cases you don't need the exact same application,
just one that is compatible. In other cases there might
be a utility to convert the file for you.

August 5, 2004 8:51:08 AM

If the floppy disks were created using Windows 95, it uses
the FAT16 or FAT32, (most probably FAT32 because only the
first two versions of 95 used FAT16)and XP uses NTFS, so
to read the disks, create a partition and format it as
FAT32 or FAT16 depending on the FAT used to create the
disks.

I would just install a secondary hard drive temporarily
and then use the DOS FDISK utility to create a FAT
partition.

You can the install the program you want to on that
partition and access the disks.

Eric,
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/
http://www.sharedbirthday.co.uk/

Anonymous
August 5, 2004 11:15:08 AM

Are you saying the actual format is not seen, ie, XP just says the disc is
not accessible? If so, then I'd say its not the problem with Windows, its a
problem with the two drives being mis aligned.

I had this same problem with a commercial floppy the other day.

The way I solved it was to move the drive into the other computer and then
copy between the two, so the contents were made on a known good drive.

Other problems can be...

The old floppy was indeed written with an old back up program which uses
itts own format. No way to get round this one unless an XP version exists.

The disc was drivespaced, leaving you with just two visible files.

No way around this either, apparently unless you use a multboot machine and
extract the data and the boot XP and read the uncompressed data from the 98
partition.

Brian

Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
__________________________________

"Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I'm running windows xp professional. problem is my
> floppies are not reconized or has different format. Is
> there a driver or program I can download? Info on disc is
> critical.

---
August 5, 2004 12:25:39 PM

Eric. All floppy drives are formatted in FAT 16, regardless of the
operating system.
I go along with the other answers, either the tracks are misaligned or the
file format does not match software on board.

"Eric" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If the floppy disks were created using Windows 95, it uses
> the FAT16 or FAT32, (most probably FAT32 because only the
> first two versions of 95 used FAT16)and XP uses NTFS, so
> to read the disks, create a partition and format it as
> FAT32 or FAT16 depending on the FAT used to create the
> disks.
>
> I would just install a secondary hard drive temporarily
> and then use the DOS FDISK utility to create a FAT
> partition.
>
> You can the install the program you want to on that
> partition and access the disks.
>
> Eric,
> http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/
> http://www.sharedbirthday.co.uk/

August 5, 2004 11:56:56 PM

Eric and Ray,

I believe all floppy disks are formated in FAT12 actually.

Paul

"Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> Eric. All floppy drives are formatted in FAT 16, regardless of the
> operating system.
> I go along with the other answers, either the tracks are misaligned or the
> file format does not match software on board.
>
> "Eric" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > If the floppy disks were created using Windows 95, it uses
> > the FAT16 or FAT32, (most probably FAT32 because only the
> > first two versions of 95 used FAT16)and XP uses NTFS, so
> > to read the disks, create a partition and format it as
> > FAT32 or FAT16 depending on the FAT used to create the
> > disks.
> >
> > I would just install a secondary hard drive temporarily
> > and then use the DOS FDISK utility to create a FAT
> > partition.
> >
> > You can the install the program you want to on that
> > partition and access the disks.
> >
> > Eric,
> > http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/
> > http://www.sharedbirthday.co.uk/

Anonymous
August 5, 2004 11:56:57 PM

Quite right. Forgot that floppy disks kept the old 12 bit FAT that was
used before DOS 3.

"Paul" <please@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Eric and Ray,
>
> I believe all floppy disks are formated in FAT12 actually.
>
> Paul
>
> "Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> > Eric. All floppy drives are formatted in FAT 16, regardless of the
> > operating system.
> > I go along with the other answers, either the tracks are misaligned or
the
> > file format does not match software on board.
> >
> > "Eric" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > If the floppy disks were created using Windows 95, it uses
> > > the FAT16 or FAT32, (most probably FAT32 because only the
> > > first two versions of 95 used FAT16)and XP uses NTFS, so
> > > to read the disks, create a partition and format it as
> > > FAT32 or FAT16 depending on the FAT used to create the
> > > disks.
> > >
> > > I would just install a secondary hard drive temporarily
> > > and then use the DOS FDISK utility to create a FAT
> > > partition.
> > >
> > > You can the install the program you want to on that
> > > partition and access the disks.
> > >
> > > Eric,
> > > http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/
> > > http://www.sharedbirthday.co.uk/

August 7, 2004 11:25:06 PM

Op Thu, 5 Aug 2004 08:25:39 -0700 schreef "Richard Goh"
<me@mailinator.com>:

>Eric. All floppy drives are formatted in FAT 16, regardless of the
>operating system.

If you're using Windows or DOS as your OS ...
Other formats exist for different Operating Sytems.

Bart
--
Bart Broersma
broersma.juda_ANTISPAM_@tiscali.nl