95 to 98

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have received a older computer with windows 95. I
understand I could download windows 98 and therefore
enable hi-speed with my router. Is this true and if so is
there site where a may download windows 98? Anything else
I need to know concerning downloading 98?

"Gary" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have received a older computer with windows 95. I
>understand I could download windows 98 and therefore
>enable hi-speed with my router. Is this true and if so is
>there site where a may download windows 98? Anything else
>I need to know concerning downloading 98?

You cannot download Win98, or any other Microsoft operating system.
All are available only for sale, they cannot (legally) be obtained for
free.

There's no reason (IMHO) that Win95 should not be able to work with
your broadband connection.

If you do decide to go to Win98, go all the way to Win98SE. Much
software and many peripherals specify Win98SE as a minimum, so going
there in the first place will spare you considerable grief. You'll
need a Win98SSE full retail CD, or a Win98SE upgrade CD. Avoid OEM
CDs, since they won't upgrade an existing system. Check eBay, or a
large retailer, or do a Google search.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

I have the same question and hope someone can help us with
this question. Please help us by posting your directions
soon. Thanks

I know of no site that offers a free download of Windows 98. If there
is a site that offers a free download of Windows 98, the site is
illegal.

You can find Windows 98 on sale by searching the Internet. The last
time I did this, I found prices around $100. You should be cautious
about buying OEM versions of Windows 98 rather than Microsoft
versions. If you are installing on a laptop, you might need an OEM
version that has been modified to match the hardware in your laptop.
Otherwise, you might want to avoid an OEM version that has been
modified to match hardware that you do not have.

Bill Starbuck (MVP)