  • Microsoft
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
August 9, 2004 4:19:04 PM

When I turn on my computer it say it can not find certin files, I press any
key to get through it. I purchased a windows 95 disc and tryed to reload in
hopes that it will restor the missing files but it will not let me reload.
What do I do to reinstall windows 95 over windows 95.

More about : load

Anonymous
August 9, 2004 8:08:56 PM

"Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When I turn on my computer it say it can not find certin files, I press any
>key to get through it. I purchased a windows 95 disc and tryed to reload in
>hopes that it will restor the missing files but it will not let me reload.
>What do I do to reinstall windows 95 over windows 95.

If you have a retail disk, this should not be a difficult operation.
Just insert it, and click "install". If you have an OEM CD, you're
stuck. These things are designed to be installed on an empty disk (or
at least one that doesn't already have an OS installed).

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=129260

You didn't supply enough information.

It would appear as if you are using an OEM version to
reinstall Windows 95.

If so, it isn't an upgrade version and won't install over
the existing installation of 95 unless you rename the
win.com file something like xwincom and then run the setup
program.

Just remember to change the default installation folder to
Windows when it asks if you want to install to a
Windows000 folder.

It does this because the Windows folder already uexists,
but you want it to install over the existing version, so
change Windows000 to Windows. If you don't, it will
install Windows in a folder called Windows000 and keep the
existing installation in the Windows folder.

Also remember to turn off any boot sector virus protection
in the BIOS before you reinstall Windows 95 and 98,
because it can ruine the setup.

Eric,
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/
http://www.sharedbirthday.co.uk/