OC vs temp (FX-60)

Maxiius

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
I have a quick question about OC'in. I have a Zalman 9500 running ontop a FX-60. I used the asus AIbooster to throw a 10% OC to it and now its running at 2860ghz. But my voltage stayed the same, which is fine by me, but main concern in my temps. My idle temps seem to be at around 41-42C and stress around 48 to a max of 50C. How do these temps compare to others running a similar setup ( an X2 dual core any kinda with air cooling ) ? Could it be air flow in my case is not enough? Maybe I didnt put thermal paste on correctly? Trying to look for possible solutions or explanations to the situation.

My setup is in sig. Maybe it could my case too. I thought even on air it would run a little cooler then the above temps.

Thanks

~Maxiius

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
well, your cpu temperatures dont seem bad in all honesty... i have my 3800+ X2 clocked up to 2400MHz on air cooling, stock heatsink, stock voltages, AS5 thermal paste, idling about 38C degrees under cool n quiet, and maxing out at close to 60C degrees under full load... i think you can go upto about 65C degrees on your dual core cpu before you would have any heating or stability problems at all... i have only 2 80mm system fans running in my case on the side panel, and 1 80mm low speed fan cooling the HDDs, i would have more on, but it ended up being too noisy for me, its completely stable though even still... was kinda toying with the idea of maybe getting water cooling, but then thought, 'naah' lol

Maxiius

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
What exactly is that Cool & Quiet option? I thought that was that extra fan that came with the A8N32-Deluxe and said not to use it if you have a big heatsink because of air flow issues?

~Maxiius

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
well, the best way i can think to explain it, is when your cpu has very little demand placed on it, as far as what its processing, below 50% usage (i think), then your clock speed drops down to half, and cpu voltage cuts down too, and temperatures and power usage end up dropping, but as soon as the % usage increases by much at all, your cpu speed is back up to full immediately... but to enable it, i think your motherboards bios might have an option,you would have to download the right cpu drivers from AMDs site, and set your 'Power Scheme' under 'Power Options Properties', to 'Laptop/Portable', and that should enable cool n quiet, theres also a 'Dashboard Demo' utility on AMDs site you can download and install that will show realtime cpu usage, temperatures and such... some people say you shouldnt have cool n quiet enabled when you overclock, cuz of problems and such, but i havent had any issues with it like that

Maxiius

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Ah ok, thanks for that quick explanation.

was kinda toying with the idea of maybe getting water cooling, but then thought, 'naah' lol

I'm still gathering info on that subject. I'm kinda the same on watercooling right now, but i'm looking into as a possible solution to heat issue.

~Maxiius

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
youre welcome... as far as water cooling though, my main contention with it, and the reason i really dont want to get it, and am very weary of it, regardless of its benefits, are that components in your tower could be very quickly ruined, particularly if there happens to be an accident of some kind... i guess other than that though, if all the proper precautions are taken and exercised... then its a very viable alternative to air cooling

robGL

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Do not up the vcore on the FX60...

I'm running an FX60 right now, 10x300 for 3GHz... It maxed out at 350FSB, but will not go past 3GHz, no combination of FSB or multipliers will make my FX60 faster than 3.0GHz... But @ 3.0GHz it's totally prime95 stable with load temp of 48c...

When I tried to push past 3.0GHz by upping the voltage... I went from 1.4 to 1.55 (only .15v increase) and it increased my temperatures 20c... from 40c idle to 60c idle... i didn't even want to try under load

and i still didn't get over 3GHz..

Maxiius

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Yeah, I will when my vid cards come in. I haven't actually played tweaked with my computer that much at all. UPS says my vid cards are suppose to be on a truck for delivery today, but I live in Katrina affect area's so we'll see if they live up to their D-date.

Maxiius

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
I did what you said, and did the bios way now, vid cards did come in yesterday, but I have another problem, go figure. I upped the FSBor whatever its called to 220 which puts me at 2890ghz and the computer boots up fine and runs normal, but when I run Prime95 it shoots an error back after about a minute or 2. I read through the stress readme, and said try upper vcore or adjusting mem timings.

I know how to adjust these in the bios, but when it comes to adjusting mem timings, I have no f'in clue what i'm doing hehe. ( Haven't actually taught myself anything about mem timings yet, anyone have a link to a good FAQ or how to guide? ) Just want to get some opinions on what to do next? I thought uppering the vcore was last on the list to do, so I figured i'd try to mess w/ mem timings b4 doing that. Any suggestions? Temp wise @ 2.89ghz is idle at about 42C. (dunno about burn, because I can't burn w/ prime95 hehe)

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I'm going to side step the X2 discussion since I don't have any experiance OC'ing one. What advice I can offer is in the area of watercooling. I have a Koolance PC3720 case that wc's my sli setup and my proc and I love it. You stated that your worried about accidents and spillages, which is understandible.

However there is a way to combat it. I use PC Ice fluid in my rig because its totaly nonconductive. Go to Frozencpu.com and find the liquid, there should be a video of them pouring the fluid onto a powered up computer and the computer never glitches. I'm talking pouring it directly onto the mobo/vid card.

The best advice I can give is test it. Jump the power on the PSU attached to the watercooling setup with w paper clip and watch it run for abit. It's a scary idea, but if you take your time and read up its no harder than building a computer. Go in with the mind set of making Watercooling your bitch and own it!!! lol

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
i dont like to mess w/latencies b/c you dun get much outta messing with em

just make sure that your ram is running @ whatever speed they're rated for, eg knock down ram to 400/(220/200)=363mhz (or the closest divider you can get).

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
As long as it doesn't go over 60c your cpu will be fine. Im just wondering why a big baller like you pawning an FX60 doesn't have a water cooling. Should get one to overclock past 10%. :D

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
i have a clawhammer core... so my cpu runs hot no matter what, it idles at 50, and gets as high as 67 during full load, i have an amd3700 on socket 754, and i was concerned about my temps just like u were, but right now those temps are decent, they arnt crazy low, but there within boundrys... if u dont have excellent AC in the summer u might wanna consider water cooling since the south is hot in the summer (duh) but as for right now i wouldnt worry about the temps. if ur really hellbent on getting a low temp/good oc get a machII from frozencpu, its 900 bux + 100 for the cpu plate, but keeps ur cpu running around -60c under load... thats if u wanna drop the cash for it, but persoanlly if i was u (assuming u have a bit of money, since u have a nice cpu) id consider it, if not look at it to see if it would suit ur needs, the machII will most likely be able to work with any cpu u buy for at least the next 5 years...but if the price is too steep then consider putting in more powerful fans for summer or going to watercooling, or even run it at stock speeds in the summer since an fx60 is the fastest cpu out right now anyways, theres really no need to overclock it :p

Maxiius

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Hehe, the only reason I havent setup a watercooling system yet is because I just not quite confident in setting it up myself. Last thing I need is water leaking on 4grand worth of parts.

How bout one of you l33t WC experts come set one up for me? :D :D

zanta

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Maxiius,

I just finished a build of a new system last week with an AMD FX-60 and recently upgraded the HSF to a Zalman 9500 as well. My temperatures are as follows:

Running two instances of Prime95 each focused on one core –
After 15 Minutes -
MB Temp 34C
CPU Temp 46C

I have an Antec P180 case with the lower fan set to Medium and the top exhaust fans set to High. Additionally, I added an Antec TriCool 120mm fan in the middle drive bay that is also set to High. I use the power supply box to control the speed of 3 fans and only turn them up when gaming or while running the above test. I believe Artic Silver 5 takes approximately 200 hours or so to reach optimal cooling efficiency, so the temps “may” :wink: come down a degree or two.

Edit: I forgot to include that I do have a slight overclock on the CPU to 2.85GHz.

I hope this helps.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
i forgot what the rest odf the thread was about but 46 while running 2 prime95's means that u should close speedfan and never look at ur temps again, if u plan to overclock u might be able to get 200mhz out of each core, but why overclock an fx60?

TRENDING THREADS