windows 95a upgrade

Colin

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002

I have windows 95 version 4.00.950a and wish to upgrade to version b. Is
this possible and where do I find the dowload to do it ?

There are not upgrade disks for this. The b version was sold to OEM's for
installation. You might find a old copy of Windows 95 OEM on e-bay. But
you will have to do a clean install, not an upgrade, to use this disk.
I would suggest you consider looking (e-bay) for a copy of Windows 98SE
upgrade. I would be a far better OS for you. Be careful of RAM
requirement. W98 should have at least 64 MBytes.

"Colin" <Colin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have windows 95 version 4.00.950a and wish to upgrade to version b. Is
> this possible and where do I find the dowload to do it ?

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I agree, get Windows 98 SE.

Ive had it running on a computer with a 233Mhz processor,
32MB of RAm and a 2MB video card quite happily.

Eric,
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/
http://www.sharedbirthday.co.uk/

Windows 95B (and also Windows 95C) was only available as an OEM
product, intended for use with new computers. It was never available
as a retail product and there is no upgrade from the original or a
versions to B or C.

You can purchase Windows 95 B/C at some clearance houses or on auction
sites such as eBay.

It is often possible to "trick" an OEM version of Windows 95 into
installing as an upgrade, even though they are intended for clean
installs only. See MVP Ron Badour's web page at
http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/upgrade.html

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 20:55:09 -0700, "Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com>
wrote:

>There are not upgrade disks for this. The b version was sold to OEM's for
>installation. You might find a old copy of Windows 95 OEM on e-bay. But
>you will have to do a clean install, not an upgrade, to use this disk.

I've had OK mileage with over-old "upgrade" installation, i.e. as good
as can be expected for any new-OS-over-old installation.

Being an OEM Win9x does require some fancy footwork to avoid the
installer refusting to install, i.e. renaming away the existing
WIN.COM first. If no joy, rename away VER.EXE and the "three stooges"
KRNL386.EXE, USER.EXE and GDI.EXE

Sorry I can't remember the details, but I seldom do ANY
new-OS-over-old upgrades, because several things can go wrong - e.g.
the new OS inherets device drivers and other software that don't work
with it. In the case of Win95 SR2.x ("Win95 B") this includes the F8
boot option to run "Previous version of MS-DOS".

>I would suggest you consider looking (e-bay) for a copy of Windows 98SE
>upgrade. I would be a far better OS for you. Be careful of RAM
>requirement. W98 should have at least 64 MBytes.

Can do OK on 32M, actually, but 16M is pushing it. Be aware that
every version of IE that ships with any Windows older than XP is unfit
for use, and so you'd have to upgrade that. See...

http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/mimehole.htm

....on that topic. At least Win98xx lets you use IE 6

Never turn your back on an installer program