windows 95a upgrade

I have windows 95 version 4.00.950a and wish to upgrade to version b. Is
this possible and where do I find the dowload to do it ?
4 answers Last reply
More about windows upgrade

    There are not upgrade disks for this. The b version was sold to OEM's for
    installation. You might find a old copy of Windows 95 OEM on e-bay. But
    you will have to do a clean install, not an upgrade, to use this disk.
    I would suggest you consider looking (e-bay) for a copy of Windows 98SE
    upgrade. I would be a far better OS for you. Be careful of RAM
    requirement. W98 should have at least 64 MBytes.

    "Colin" <Colin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have windows 95 version 4.00.950a and wish to upgrade to version b. Is
    > this possible and where do I find the dowload to do it ?

    I agree, get Windows 98 SE.

    Ive had it running on a computer with a 233Mhz processor,
    32MB of RAm and a 2MB video card quite happily.

    Eric,
    http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/
    http://www.sharedbirthday.co.uk/

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    "Colin" <Colin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have windows 95 version 4.00.950a and wish to upgrade to version b. Is
    >this possible and where do I find the dowload to do it ?

    Windows 95B (and also Windows 95C) was only available as an OEM
    product, intended for use with new computers. It was never available
    as a retail product and there is no upgrade from the original or a
    versions to B or C.

    You can purchase Windows 95 B/C at some clearance houses or on auction
    sites such as eBay.

    It is often possible to "trick" an OEM version of Windows 95 into
    installing as an upgrade, even though they are intended for clean
    installs only. See MVP Ron Badour's web page at
    http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/upgrade.html

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 20:55:09 -0700, "Richard Goh" <me@mailinator.com>
    wrote:

    >There are not upgrade disks for this. The b version was sold to OEM's for
    >installation. You might find a old copy of Windows 95 OEM on e-bay. But
    >you will have to do a clean install, not an upgrade, to use this disk.

    I've had OK mileage with over-old "upgrade" installation, i.e. as good
    as can be expected for any new-OS-over-old installation.

    Being an OEM Win9x does require some fancy footwork to avoid the
    installer refusting to install, i.e. renaming away the existing
    WIN.COM first. If no joy, rename away VER.EXE and the "three stooges"
    KRNL386.EXE, USER.EXE and GDI.EXE

    Sorry I can't remember the details, but I seldom do ANY
    new-OS-over-old upgrades, because several things can go wrong - e.g.
    the new OS inherets device drivers and other software that don't work
    with it. In the case of Win95 SR2.x ("Win95 B") this includes the F8
    boot option to run "Previous version of MS-DOS".

    >I would suggest you consider looking (e-bay) for a copy of Windows 98SE
    >upgrade. I would be a far better OS for you. Be careful of RAM
    >requirement. W98 should have at least 64 MBytes.

    Can do OK on 32M, actually, but 16M is pushing it. Be aware that
    every version of IE that ships with any Windows older than XP is unfit
    for use, and so you'd have to upgrade that. See...

    http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/mimehole.htm

    ....on that topic. At least Win98xx lets you use IE 6

    Never turn your back on an installer program

Windows 95 Microsoft Windows