Rise of The Machines: Two go-arounds, traffic jam, and mor..

Rise of the machines? I don't know, but this just happened to me:

After a long flight, I'm landing my 737 at Houston, TX. Perfect
approach, everything looks great. The lady in the tower gives me the
clear-to-land - ILS on 33R. Just before landing I notice that the
runway is not _exactly_ clear, but there is a tiny speck smack in
the middle of it, that upon closer examination, turns out to be a
conceit AI, just sitting there in his shiny new Cessna, evidently
enjoying the sunset! "Go around!" says the controller lady, and I go
around.

One "circle" later. Good approach, set on final, got my blessing
from that princess in the tower. 30 seconds before touchdown, with
a sharp turn from the left comes another arrogant AI, and lands his
dirty DC-something, full with smug fat AI passengers, on _my_ runway!
While I'm making a desperate maneuvre to avoid hitting the
DC-something, that witch from the tower comes on the radio - "Go
around!!!" tells me, her voice sounding as if it's all my fault!

Another loop on the merry-go-round. Turning toward the airport, that
controller monster asks me to land visual on 33L, which is shorter,
narrower, and in any other respect inferior to _my_ 33R. Why?! 33R
too good for me?! I do not deserve ILS?! Or maybe there was another
planeload of tiny AIs in hurry to meet their little AI families
somewhere inside my computer; who knows, I may splash on their clean
nice AI-only runway, or something, so then _they_ might have to go
around! Nooo, we cannot have this, nooo...

So, I _finally_ land on 33L, then exit the runway ("when able", says
that witch, jabbing at my already sea-level-and-going-down self-
esteem), and come to a jarring stop, fourth in a long line of
stationar AI planes. In a few seconds they begin doing this: inch
ahead, stop, inch ahead, stop, inch ahead, stop... I feel like I'm
on highway 101! They were probably are all looking in their rear-
view mirrors, making fun of me...

At some point all movement stops. Waiting, waiting, waiting...
Nothing! I hop down from the plane (switch to external view), to
check what's the matter. The first of the planes on my taxiway is
standing at an intersection, and a 747 is standing on the other
side. They don't move. Exchanging pleasantries, I assume - "You
first, sir!", "No, you first, please!", "No, nooo, please, you
first!" ...

All the time while I'm waiting I could just imagine all that AIs
from the DC-something, sitting in the arrivals lounge cafe, their
little fat AI kids having fun poiting their little greasy fingers
at me.

Just when I was seriously considering should I cut short through
the grass to my assigned gate, the two over-polite gentlemen finally
reach a consensus, and the 747 guy reluctantly goes first.

This time I finally reach my gate! And what a gate it is!!! The
painted taxiway toward it is no wider than a Cessna to go through!
Only mine is that narrow - all around there are many oversized
gates. All empty!!!

But they are reserved...

For AIs!!!

Scary...

--
Alex

Arthur

Hey Alex, that would be a great nightclub routine. Definitely a humourous
and true description of what we've all been through at one time or another.
Definitely made me smile, which, when I'm only 1/4 awake, is quite an
accomplishment.

On the other hand, I think therapy is adviseable and maybe you need some
fresh air : )

Arthur

"Alexander Avtanski" <avtanski@ispwest.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> standing at an intersection, and a 747 is standing on the other
> side. They don't move. Exchanging pleasantries, I assume - "You
> first, sir!", "No, you first, please!", "No, nooo, please, you
> first!" ...
>
> All the time while I'm waiting I could just imagine all that AIs
> from the DC-something, sitting in the arrivals lounge cafe, their
> little fat AI kids having fun poiting their little greasy fingers
> at me.
>
> Just when I was seriously considering should I cut short through
> the grass to my assigned gate, the two over-polite gentlemen finally
> reach a consensus, and the 747 guy reluctantly goes first.
>
> This time I finally reach my gate! And what a gate it is!!! The
> painted taxiway toward it is no wider than a Cessna to go through!
> Only mine is that narrow - all around there are many oversized

So much for incompetent AI ground staff -- sack the lot of them I say !

You are probably aware that if an AI aircraft is sitting on the ground
waiting for someone else to move first and that someone else doesn't shift
it's arse, then after approximately 5 minutes of waiting, the program calls
a halt to that flight and boots that particular aircraft out of existence
(ie. suddenly and instantaneously disappears from the screen).

Very realistic !!!

Moke G.

Talon

Well written Alex!

Paul

"Talon" <paul.NOSPAMpearsonone@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
> Well written Alex!
>
> Paul

Nice one Alex!

Chris

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 02:15:33 -0700, Alexander Avtanski
<avtanski@ispwest.com> wrote:

>Just when I was seriously considering should I cut short through
>the grass to my assigned gate, the two over-polite gentlemen finally
>reach a consensus, and the 747 guy reluctantly goes first.
>
>This time I finally reach my gate! And what a gate it is!!! The
>painted taxiway toward it is no wider than a Cessna to go through!
>Only mine is that narrow - all around there are many oversized
>gates. All empty!!!
>
>But they are reserved...
>
>For AIs!!!

>Scary...

I wonder if they'd been as arrogant if you'd been in an F-16?..LOL
I really am quite astonished how AI has improved in FS2004.I had
a small little AI episode...but wasn't quite as slow paced:

I was cruising at 31000...I am checking out the scenery...and all of
a sudden...swoooosh!.An AI jet seemed to streak by me at warp
speed going the other way...by the time I looked back..it was a
fading contrail!I mean this was close...I was told by my buddy who
flies an MD-83...he said that this is commonplace...incredible.

The more I fly this thing...the more I love it:)Superbly written
Alex...very interesting as well.

Doug