upgrade win 95 version 4.00.950b to win 98 se

I have an old computer that is a friend's trying to upgrade it and clean it
up etc. I got a win 98se upgrade disk off ebay which says it will upgrade
win 3.1 or 95 to 98se. When I try to use it it says I have the wrong disk
and need to get win 98 upgrade. Does anyone know anyway to get around this?
Also, could I start it in msdos and try to run it? If so, how? I'm not
familiar with dos. Thanks for any suggestions.
--
Ruth
4 answers Last reply

    Sounds like you got a Win98SE OEM disk and not a Win98SE Upgrade disk. Or
    Possibly a Win98SE update disk which requires a prior version of Win98 to be
    installed.

    "rubeckf" <rubeckf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have an old computer that is a friend's trying to upgrade it and clean
    it
    > up etc. I got a win 98se upgrade disk off ebay which says it will upgrade
    > win 3.1 or 95 to 98se. When I try to use it it says I have the wrong disk
    > and need to get win 98 upgrade. Does anyone know anyway to get around
    this?
    > Also, could I start it in msdos and try to run it? If so, how? I'm not
    > familiar with dos. Thanks for any suggestions.
    > --
    > Ruth

    "rubeckf" <rubeckf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have an old computer that is a friend's trying to upgrade it and clean
    it
    > up etc. I got a win 98se upgrade disk off ebay which says it will upgrade
    > win 3.1 or 95 to 98se. When I try to use it it says I have the wrong disk
    > and need to get win 98 upgrade. Does anyone know anyway to get around
    this?
    > Also, could I start it in msdos and try to run it? If so, how? I'm not
    > familiar with dos. Thanks for any suggestions.
    > --
    > Ruth

    rename win.com in your windows folder
    then install back in the original windows folder
    usually C:\windows
    (do not go with the default of C:\windows.000)
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    "philo" wrote:

    > "rubeckf" <rubeckf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have an old computer that is a friend's trying to upgrade it and clean
    > it
    > > up etc. I got a win 98se upgrade disk off ebay which says it will upgrade
    > > win 3.1 or 95 to 98se. When I try to use it it says I have the wrong disk
    > > and need to get win 98 upgrade. Does anyone know anyway to get around
    > this?
    > > Also, could I start it in msdos and try to run it? If so, how? I'm not
    > > familiar with dos. Thanks for any suggestions.
    > > --
    > > Ruth
    >

    > rename win.com in your windows folder
    > then install back in the original windows folder
    > usually C:\windows
    > (do not go with the default of C:\windows.000)
    >
    > thanks, I'll try that. This is an upgrade disk which says it's for 3.1 or 95 upgrade.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    "rubeckf" wrote:

    > "philo" wrote:
    >

    > > "rubeckf" <rubeckf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have an old computer that is a friend's trying to upgrade it and clean
    > > it
    > > > up etc. I got a win 98se upgrade disk off ebay which says it will upgrade
    > > > win 3.1 or 95 to 98se. When I try to use it it says I have the wrong disk
    > > > and need to get win 98 upgrade. Does anyone know anyway to get around
    > > this?
    > > > Also, could I start it in msdos and try to run it? If so, how? I'm not
    > > > familiar with dos. Thanks for any suggestions.
    > > > --
    > > > Ruth
    > >

    > > rename win.com in your windows folder
    > > then install back in the original windows folder
    > > usually C:\windows
    > > (do not go with the default of C:\windows.000)
    > >
    > > thanks, I'll try that. This is an upgrade disk which says it's for 3.1 or 95 upgrade.

    If it doesn't work, format your PC or try deleting C:\windows\*.* and
    C:\windows\system\*.* and other files.

Microsoft Windows