upgrade win 95 version 4.00.950b to win 98 se

I have an old computer that is a friend's trying to upgrade it and clean it
up etc. I got a win 98se upgrade disk off ebay which says it will upgrade
win 3.1 or 95 to 98se. When I try to use it it says I have the wrong disk
and need to get win 98 upgrade. Does anyone know anyway to get around this?
Also, could I start it in msdos and try to run it? If so, how? I'm not
familiar with dos. Thanks for any suggestions.
--
Ruth

Sounds like you got a Win98SE OEM disk and not a Win98SE Upgrade disk. Or
Possibly a Win98SE update disk which requires a prior version of Win98 to be
installed.

"rubeckf" <rubeckf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have an old computer that is a friend's trying to upgrade it and clean
it
> up etc. I got a win 98se upgrade disk off ebay which says it will upgrade
> win 3.1 or 95 to 98se. When I try to use it it says I have the wrong disk
> and need to get win 98 upgrade. Does anyone know anyway to get around
this?
> Also, could I start it in msdos and try to run it? If so, how? I'm not
> familiar with dos. Thanks for any suggestions.
> --
> Ruth

Philo

"rubeckf" <rubeckf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have an old computer that is a friend's trying to upgrade it and clean
it
> up etc. I got a win 98se upgrade disk off ebay which says it will upgrade
> win 3.1 or 95 to 98se. When I try to use it it says I have the wrong disk
> and need to get win 98 upgrade. Does anyone know anyway to get around
this?
> Also, could I start it in msdos and try to run it? If so, how? I'm not
> familiar with dos. Thanks for any suggestions.
> --
> Ruth

rename win.com in your windows folder
then install back in the original windows folder
usually C:\windows
(do not go with the default of C:\windows.000)

"rubeckf" wrote:

> "philo" wrote:
>

> > "rubeckf" <rubeckf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have an old computer that is a friend's trying to upgrade it and clean
> > it
> > > up etc. I got a win 98se upgrade disk off ebay which says it will upgrade
> > > win 3.1 or 95 to 98se. When I try to use it it says I have the wrong disk
> > > and need to get win 98 upgrade. Does anyone know anyway to get around
> > this?
> > > Also, could I start it in msdos and try to run it? If so, how? I'm not
> > > familiar with dos. Thanks for any suggestions.
> > > --
> > > Ruth
> >

> > rename win.com in your windows folder
> > then install back in the original windows folder
> > usually C:\windows
> > (do not go with the default of C:\windows.000)
> >
> > thanks, I'll try that. This is an upgrade disk which says it's for 3.1 or 95 upgrade.

If it doesn't work, format your PC or try deleting C:\windows\*.* and
C:\windows\system\*.* and other files.