windows 95

tae

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2004

I am trying to install a new printer (Lexmark X6150). My
computer does not recognize the USB port that I have the
printer connected to. If you can help, thank you in
advance.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You can only install the USB support file for USB 1.1 on
Windows 95 OSR2, not earlier versions, and even then its
very buggy.

If I were you I would get Windows 98 SE and a PCI USB2
adapter card so that you can run USB 1.1 and USB2 devices.

Windows 98 and 98 SE do not support USB2 natively, they
require specific USB2 device drivers. Many USB devices
won't support Windows 98, only 98 SE.

See this page:
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/USB.htm

Eric,
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/
http://www.sharedbirthday.co.uk/

Check with Lexmark for minimum requirements, though there is very
little in the way of USB printers (or any USB devices) that will work
with Win95 OSR2.x and if you have earlier Win95, then their is no USB
support at all.

I suggest you look for a copy of Win98 SE on eBay or a large online
store (assuming your computer will handle it)

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html