VPN Access Slowdown

I can start VPN without any problems. However, when I begin to access
files/folders on the server, there appears to be a slowdown occuring.
Initially, after connecting, I can write to these files, but usually
within a few seconds it becomes "Impossible to write in this file
[filename]" (the error I get when saving from within a program). And
at this point it's also impossible to navigate through the
directories; I get the error: "[filename] is not accessible. You might
not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
admin..."

I have a second PC (a laptop provided for me by the office) that can
make this connection without any problem whatsoever. I've also noted
that the Bad PC asks me for a username and password when initially
trying to access the server's directories, while the Good PC does not.

I've tested using the same cable plugged into each machine, and have
what appears to be the exact same properties for the VPN on each
machine.

The differences between the two boxes (well, the ones that seem to be
applicable to my problem) are: The Good PC uses WinXP Pro, and has a
Netgear ethernet card installed. The Bad PC uses WinXP Home, and has
an Intel PRO/100 in it.

Any suggestions on how to make the Bad PC perform like the Good PC?

Verify if there are "Domain Settings" in your WinXP pro config (at logon
prompt). If so, you're baked since WinXP Home doesn't support access to
domain controllers and your office network must use one to deploy
security policies.

Good luck !