Hyper-Threading problem

dragosgorjan

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
I have a very strange problem...From a few days i have a new processor P4 630 after the setup,entering win and : 2 programs not working RegCleaner and Services.msc(not working after i duble-click them,but after i try to click them for 4-5 times they work)First i diseable de XD-bit,but the same problem and then i reinstall win still the same problem
I diseable the HTT and its working better overall the whole system..What i have to do?With HTT eneable i think all it is a little slower
Change the Processor or the MB(MB its suporting HTT and all intel new things)

dragosgorjan

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
And something diferent with HTT diseable is that the CPU tempereture its having more fluctuation from 38-43, 43-36(it wil afect him HTT diseable?)
the system seems to work fine without him..

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
WIN XP(32 bit) SP 2
I have all the updates
there is an special update for HTT?
The first versions of WinXP didn't support HT. They needed an update. I think that was included in the SP1 stuff, but either way, if you have all of the updates, then you're good to go in that respect.

Other than that, I can't think of a single thing that's causing it. Of course I don't use RegCleaner, so I've no idea if there's anything funny there. But checking services has always worked fine on my P4 with HT. **shrug**

dragosgorjan

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
before the 630 i had a Celeron 335j 2.8 wihtout HTT and EM64T,and it work very well with all the programs including RegCleaner.
I first think that should be a problem with RegCleaner but with Services too?And its seems to work faster without the HTT(i am not using super apllication) very,very strange,i'm wonder why I pay extra for P4 630 because its not a big diference in comparation with 335j.
I could be a problem with the processor(mabe just me i have this problem) should i go for warranty?

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Theoretically your problems could be happening if your temps are higher than you indicated or you're right on the cusp of having power issues. If your temps were on the verge of throttling with HT disabled, there might be minor throttling with HT enabled. Likewise, if your voltages were just barely enough with HT disabled, they might be slightly not enough with HT enabled. But to be on either of those cusps would be pretty rare. I still think it's probably software. (But I could be wrong.)

You did actually reinstall Windows from scratch after you installed the new processor, right? Because Windows needs to install the multi-processor HAL to use HT. To check, run devmgmt.msc and open the Computer heading. If it says Uniprocessor, that's your problem. If it says Multiprocessor, then you're right.

And its seems to work faster without the HTT
Well yeah. If you're not multi-tasking or multi-threading, then yeah. HT splits the resources of the CPU so that it can handle multiple tasks more fluidly. If you're not giving the CPU multiple tasks to perform, then you're just splitting those resources for ... nothing. Generally this performance difference is unnoticeably small however.

Likewise, if you're running a lot of simultaneous processes, then you can also see a slowdown. This is because HT splits the CPU to handle these processes relatively equally, so you're not dedicating a ton of resources to a single thread anymore. Other softwares might be trying to take advantage of thinking that they have more free processing power to work with than is actually the case, thereby slowing down what you're running.

But either way, HT is for multi-threading. If you don't do much (or any) multi-threading, then HT is pretty unhelpful.

i'm wonder why I pay extra for P4 630 because its not a big diference in comparation with 335j.
Only you can answer that question. Why did you buy the P4 630?

I could be a problem with the processor(mabe just me i have this problem) should i go for warranty?
It's possible. You could certainly call tech support and ask them what they think.

dragosgorjan

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
Yes it is Multiprocessor.
"Why did i buy a P4 630..."
....For more performance(3.0MHz)for HTT for 2Mb Cache.But is not radicaly faster in comparation with 335j it is a 10-15% faster.My temps are corect but the fluctuation its very fast(with HTT it is more stable)(the refresh rate is 1sec).One big diference is when i do virus scan, defrag, adobe,uninstall a game and messenger in the same time not at full speed but without blocking the system this is HTT.But overall it is faster without HTT in single apllication.Mabe i need to buy an 840 EE :) i want 50% faster and mabe it is something wrong with my windows...

Anyway thanks for the information .

dragosgorjan

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
I have the ASUS probe,CPUz, Pc Wizard2006 all of them tells me the voltage and the temp,its not very different from the 335j,and the temps are 36-38 idle and 46-48 in apllication,i have 4 aditional fans and there are 2directly on processor fan. 1 to Mb and the last to drive out the air,and the speed of processor it is 1600-1700 allways like the older one but with the same cooling system.
Without them i have other temp like 60 in apllication and other Cpu fan rotation like 4500..
The voltage with C1 control enable is 1.32-1.3 Vcore
The voltage with C1 control disable is 1.43-1.44
I think there are functioning corect.
Mabe if i raise a little the voltage it will work better with HTT activate?
But the system it will work fine without HTT??with exception of multi-thread programs i think.