Upgrading from Windows 95

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
August 17, 2004 10:36:06 AM

I have been having trouble with the Windows 95 operating
system that is currently on my personal PC. The problem is
the system stops operating (hangs up)and I have to restart
the system. I have been told that Windows 95 will not
allow you to upgrade to Windows 2000 or XP. Is this true?
If so what version of Windows can I use to upgrade. Is
there a web site that I can use to download a newer
version of Windows?

More about : upgrading windows

Anonymous
August 17, 2004 4:35:21 PM

"ed hoffman" <ethoffman@pdq.net> wrote:

>I have been having trouble with the Windows 95 operating
>system that is currently on my personal PC. The problem is
>the system stops operating (hangs up)and I have to restart
>the system. I have been told that Windows 95 will not
>allow you to upgrade to Windows 2000 or XP. Is this true?

No, it's not true. Win95 is a qualifying product for the WinXP upgrade
CD. But XP will not upgrade a Win95 system. You'd have to delete Win95
from your system, then start the XP install from the upgrade disk. At
some point you'd be asked to provide proof of a qualifying system. At
that point, you'd put your Win95 CD into the drive. Since you deleted
Win95, you'd now have to install all your applications.

But....if your system is old enough to be running Win95, it's
extremely unlikely that it would have enough horsepower to run XP.
Also, you may very well find it impossible to get XP drivers for your
peripherals. The same observations apply to Win2K.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

You should upgrade to Windows 98 SE.

Youi can buy the full product that has to be installed
cleanly or you can buy the upgrade version that build
itself on the existing 95 installation.

You can get it new or used on sites such as eBay and
amazon.com.

If I remember correctly Windows 95 doesn't qualify as a
version of Windows that allows the upgrade version of
Windows XP to be used.

But, your hardware probably isn't up to running XP
properly, if at all.

This site has all of the upgrade info you might need:
http://aumha.org/.

Eric,
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/
http://www.sharedbirthday.co.uk/