Upgrade from 95 to 98

Can anyone tell me how to upgrade from windows 95 to 98.
I have a old system I want to keep and this will make it
at least a little bit updated. Can I do this over the
internet and if so what is the cost if any? sc9gie@aol.com
3 answers Last reply
More about upgrade

    You can't download it, you have to buy a copy of the
    upgrade version of Windows 98 SE or the full product,
    which is more expensive.

    The upgrade version can build the upgrade on the existing
    installation of 95, or you can format the drive and do a
    clean installation and use the 95 Cd as proof of
    entitlement when asked to insert it.

    The full product has to be installed on a computer without
    Windows on it unless you rename the win.com file. Then the
    Full version will install into the Windows folder and
    replace the existing 95, but at first it will want to
    install to a Windows.ooo folder, and you have to change it
    to Windows when the opportunity arises, otherwise you'll
    have a Windows.ooo folder that has 98 in it and a Windows
    folder with 95 in it. The 98 folder will be the active one.

    You'll have to reinstall all of your apps, but the file
    structure will remain intact.

    See this site for more information:
    http://aumha.org/

    Ebay is a good place to get a cheap copy, but a Google
    search will find other vendors in you country.

    Eric,
    http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/
    http://www.sharedbirthday.co.uk/

    "Eric" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >The full product has to be installed on a computer without
    >Windows on it unless you rename the win.com file.

    Not quite. You're talking about the OEM version. The full retail CD
    will upgrade an existing system or install on an empty disk. It
    originally came with free support from Microsoft, but since MS no
    longer supports Win95 at all, that's no longer an issue.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(DTS)

    "Scott G" <sc9gie@aol.com> wrote:

    >Can anyone tell me how to upgrade from windows 95 to 98.
    >I have a old system I want to keep and this will make it
    >at least a little bit updated. Can I do this over the
    >internet and if so what is the cost if any? sc9gie@aol.com

    You should be aware that the hardware requirements for Windows 98 are
    more demanding than those for Windows 95. Depending on the age of
    your computer it is possible that it does not have a fast enough CPU,
    and/or enough RAM, and/or enough available space on the hard drive so
    as to be able to install Windows 98 and use it effectively.

    It should have at least a Pentium 120 mhz CPU, at least 32 mb of RAM,
    and at least 500 mb of unused space on the hard drive.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP