Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 20, 2004 7:48:04 AM

I have been given a Compaq Presario 1210 laptop that is
bearing working. I would like to use it for email and
surfing in my bedroom or outside on the deck. I have a
Pavilion desktop with a broadband connection also. The
laptop specs are: Intel Pent. Proc. 150mhz, 16 mb
Memory, CD-Rom drive, floppy drive, 1.5 GB hard drive,
and Windows 95 os, 1 PCMCIA slot.
My question is, can I use this for email and surfing
wireless with my broadband connection? And what would I
have to buy to do that? Memory is expandable to 2 slots
of 64mb at $50 each. I have never used a laptop before
and know nothing about wireless connections. Any
suggestions and/or opinions would be appreciated.

More about : laptop worth upgrade

August 20, 2004 1:09:03 PM

"morem" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been given a Compaq Presario 1210 laptop that is
> bearing working. I would like to use it for email and
> surfing in my bedroom or outside on the deck. I have a
> Pavilion desktop with a broadband connection also. The
> laptop specs are: Intel Pent. Proc. 150mhz, 16 mb
> Memory, CD-Rom drive, floppy drive, 1.5 GB hard drive,
> and Windows 95 os, 1 PCMCIA slot.
> My question is, can I use this for email and surfing
> wireless with my broadband connection? And what would I
> have to buy to do that? Memory is expandable to 2 slots
> of 64mb at $50 each. I have never used a laptop before
> and know nothing about wireless connections. Any
> suggestions and/or opinions would be appreciated.

a little more ram would be *nice*(wouldn't bother with more than 64mb for
win95) , if the system is running , all you need is a PCMCIA Ethernet card
and possibly a router to share the internet connection
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 20, 2004 9:22:42 PM

Yeah, but if he is using wireless comms, he would be better with a PCMCIA
direct to radio thingy. Trouble is, these seldom come with drivers for Win
95.

I feel the machine is borderline speed wise. I have a similar Dell here and
it can be very slow at times with OE and IE, though the Netscape package
seemed faster to me.

Brian

Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
__________________________________

"Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message

> "morem" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have been given a Compaq Presario 1210 laptop that is
> > bearing working. I would like to use it for email and
> > surfing in my bedroom or outside on the deck. I have a
> > Pavilion desktop with a broadband connection also. The
> > laptop specs are: Intel Pent. Proc. 150mhz, 16 mb
> > Memory, CD-Rom drive, floppy drive, 1.5 GB hard drive,
> > and Windows 95 os, 1 PCMCIA slot.
> > My question is, can I use this for email and surfing
> > wireless with my broadband connection? And what would I
> > have to buy to do that? Memory is expandable to 2 slots
> > of 64mb at $50 each. I have never used a laptop before
> > and know nothing about wireless connections. Any
> > suggestions and/or opinions would be appreciated.
> >
> a little more ram would be *nice*(wouldn't bother with more than 64mb for
> win95) , if the system is running , all you need is a PCMCIA Ethernet
card
> and possibly a router to share the internet connection

---
August 20, 2004 9:22:43 PM

"Brian Gaff" <Briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Yeah, but if he is using wireless comms, he would be better with a PCMCIA
> direct to radio thingy. Trouble is, these seldom come with drivers for
> Win
> 95.

that is true , difficult to find a win95 compatible wireless , but an older
wired PCMCIA would still do the trick(most wireless routers still have a
jack or two for adding a wired system)

> I feel the machine is borderline speed wise. I have a similar Dell here
> and
> it can be very slow at times with OE and IE, though the Netscape package
> seemed faster to me.

granted it is not the fastest thing in the world , but i remember using a
286 and an external modem when i started :>

slow by todays standards , but not unusable....

Dave
> Brian
>
> --
>
> Brian Gaff....Note, this account does not accept Bcc: email.
> graphics are great, but the blind can't hear them
> Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
> __________________________________
>

> "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "morem" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have been given a Compaq Presario 1210 laptop that is
>> > bearing working. I would like to use it for email and
>> > surfing in my bedroom or outside on the deck. I have a
>> > Pavilion desktop with a broadband connection also. The
>> > laptop specs are: Intel Pent. Proc. 150mhz, 16 mb
>> > Memory, CD-Rom drive, floppy drive, 1.5 GB hard drive,
>> > and Windows 95 os, 1 PCMCIA slot.
>> > My question is, can I use this for email and surfing
>> > wireless with my broadband connection? And what would I
>> > have to buy to do that? Memory is expandable to 2 slots
>> > of 64mb at $50 each. I have never used a laptop before
>> > and know nothing about wireless connections. Any
>> > suggestions and/or opinions would be appreciated.
>> >
>> a little more ram would be *nice*(wouldn't bother with more than 64mb for
>> win95) , if the system is running , all you need is a PCMCIA Ethernet
> card
>> and possibly a router to share the internet connection
>>

> ---

a b D Laptop
August 20, 2004 9:22:44 PM

I am so glad for your suggestions. I don't know anything
about wireless, routers, or PCMCIA, could you go into
more detail and explain the costs involved??? Thanks

__________________
>> __________________________________
>>

>> "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in
message

>>> "morem" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message
is
and
have a
The
drive,
would I
slots
before

>>> a little more ram would be *nice*(wouldn't bother
with more than 64mb for
>>> win95) , if the system is running , all you need is
a PCMCIA Ethernet
>> card
>>> and possibly a router to share the internet connection
>>>

>> ---
>> Checked by AVG anti-virus system
(http://www.grisoft.com).
16/08/2004

>.

August 20, 2004 9:22:45 PM

>I am so glad for your suggestions. I don't know anything
> about wireless, routers, or PCMCIA, could you go into
> more detail and explain the costs involved??? Thanks

here is a quick rundown .... you have a cable modem for your highspeed
connection...between that and your computer goes a router (with a built in
firewall hopefully)...the router will let you share your connection to
multiple computers.

PCMCIA card goes in one of the slots in the side of your laptop and lets you
connect to the router (home network)...you would need to look for an older
PCMCIA card that will work in your laptop..

the wireless aspect is the same but involves a "wireless" router and a
"wireless" PCMCIA card (which you would have trouble finding for win95 , so
stick to the wired scenario)

there are some tutorials on the sites i sent you with more details ...
August 20, 2004 9:22:46 PM

oh yeah ...last router i bought new was 48$+tx CDN

if you can find an old PCMCIA ...prob around 20-25$

> "morem" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I am so glad for your suggestions. I don't know anything
>> about wireless, routers, or PCMCIA, could you go into
>> more detail and explain the costs involved??? Thanks

August 20, 2004 9:22:47 PM

Okay, I don't understand. So, I would have to be
connected to my other computer with a cable whenever I
use it?? That would make the laptop unneccessary,
wouldn't it? If I upgraded to Win 98 would that work for
wireless? or is that too difficult to do? and where do
I find out what "older PCMCIA card would work with my
laptop"??? Also, do you have any ideas where I could
find a manual on this computer? I tried the hp compaq
site and I can't even find the product specs. I really
appreciate your help. Thank you again.

Date:
>>> 16/08/2004

>> here is a quick rundown .... you have a cable modem
for your highspeed
>> connection...between that and your computer goes a
router (with a built in
>> firewall hopefully)...the router will let you share
your connection to
>> multiple computers.
>>
>> PCMCIA card goes in one of the slots in the side of
your laptop and lets
>> you connect to the router (home network)...you would
need to look for an
>> older PCMCIA card that will work in your laptop..
>>
>> the wireless aspect is the same but involves
a "wireless" router and a
>> "wireless" PCMCIA card (which you would have trouble
finding for win95 ,
>> so stick to the wired scenario)
>>
>> there are some tutorials on the sites i sent you with
more details ...

>.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 20, 2004 9:22:47 PM

Oh yeah, you said you sent me links to tutorials????

Date:
>>> 16/08/2004

>> here is a quick rundown .... you have a cable modem
for your highspeed
>> connection...between that and your computer goes a
router (with a built in
>> firewall hopefully)...the router will let you share
your connection to
>> multiple computers.
>>
>> PCMCIA card goes in one of the slots in the side of
your laptop and lets
>> you connect to the router (home network)...you would
need to look for an
>> older PCMCIA card that will work in your laptop..
>>
>> the wireless aspect is the same but involves
a "wireless" router and a
>> "wireless" PCMCIA card (which you would have trouble
finding for win95 ,
>> so stick to the wired scenario)
>>
>> there are some tutorials on the sites i sent you with
more details ...

>.

August 20, 2004 9:22:48 PM

didn't I ? :>

General reference /Networking
http://www.aumha.org/index.php
http://www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
http://www.pctechnicians.ca/
http://www.wown.com/

check out "practically networked"

info on your computer
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/siteHome?dlc=en&lc=e...

type in "presario 1210" or if the link doesn't work try this

http://www.compaq.com/athome/support/

:> yeah , running a cable out to the patio would be sortof useless....I just
don't know if you could find a PCMCIA wireless card to work with win95

yes win98SE is better equipped for wireless (more driver support than win95)
but your CPU is sortof slow for 98...and you WOULD need to upgrade memory

as far as finding a PCMCIA card ....a "forsale" newsgroup in your area would
be a good start...know any computer techies ?

:>

> Oh yeah, you said you sent me links to tutorials????

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 21, 2004 12:00:37 AM

"morem" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have been given a Compaq Presario 1210 laptop that is
>bearing working. I would like to use it for email and
>surfing in my bedroom or outside on the deck. I have a
>Pavilion desktop with a broadband connection also. The
>laptop specs are: Intel Pent. Proc. 150mhz, 16 mb
>Memory, CD-Rom drive, floppy drive, 1.5 GB hard drive,
>and Windows 95 os, 1 PCMCIA slot.
> My question is, can I use this for email and surfing
>wireless with my broadband connection? And what would I
>have to buy to do that? Memory is expandable to 2 slots
>of 64mb at $50 each. I have never used a laptop before
>and know nothing about wireless connections. Any
>suggestions and/or opinions would be appreciated.

You will need to:
- upgrade the RAM to at least 64 mb
- upgrade the operating system to Windows 98 Second Edition
- purchase a wireless home router
- purchase a wireless PCMCIA (PC Card) network adapter

Before spending any money on the machine go to the Compaq web site and
make sure they have driver updates available for Windows 98 on your
specific Compaq model. Otherwise it will probably not work okay.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP