Laptop worth trying to upgrade?????

I have been given a Compaq Presario 1210 laptop that is
bearing working. I would like to use it for email and
surfing in my bedroom or outside on the deck. I have a
Pavilion desktop with a broadband connection also. The
laptop specs are: Intel Pent. Proc. 150mhz, 16 mb
Memory, CD-Rom drive, floppy drive, 1.5 GB hard drive,
and Windows 95 os, 1 PCMCIA slot.
My question is, can I use this for email and surfing
wireless with my broadband connection? And what would I
have to buy to do that? Memory is expandable to 2 slots
of 64mb at $50 each. I have never used a laptop before
and know nothing about wireless connections. Any
suggestions and/or opinions would be appreciated.
10 answers Last reply
More about laptop worth upgrade

    "morem" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have been given a Compaq Presario 1210 laptop that is
    > bearing working. I would like to use it for email and
    > surfing in my bedroom or outside on the deck. I have a
    > Pavilion desktop with a broadband connection also. The
    > laptop specs are: Intel Pent. Proc. 150mhz, 16 mb
    > Memory, CD-Rom drive, floppy drive, 1.5 GB hard drive,
    > and Windows 95 os, 1 PCMCIA slot.
    > My question is, can I use this for email and surfing
    > wireless with my broadband connection? And what would I
    > have to buy to do that? Memory is expandable to 2 slots
    > of 64mb at $50 each. I have never used a laptop before
    > and know nothing about wireless connections. Any
    > suggestions and/or opinions would be appreciated.

    a little more ram would be *nice*(wouldn't bother with more than 64mb for
    win95) , if the system is running , all you need is a PCMCIA Ethernet card
    and possibly a router to share the internet connection

    Yeah, but if he is using wireless comms, he would be better with a PCMCIA
    direct to radio thingy. Trouble is, these seldom come with drivers for Win
    95.

    I feel the machine is borderline speed wise. I have a similar Dell here and
    it can be very slow at times with OE and IE, though the Netscape package
    seemed faster to me.

    Brian

    Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    __________________________________

    "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "morem" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have been given a Compaq Presario 1210 laptop that is
    > > bearing working. I would like to use it for email and
    > > surfing in my bedroom or outside on the deck. I have a
    > > Pavilion desktop with a broadband connection also. The
    > > laptop specs are: Intel Pent. Proc. 150mhz, 16 mb
    > > Memory, CD-Rom drive, floppy drive, 1.5 GB hard drive,
    > > and Windows 95 os, 1 PCMCIA slot.
    > > My question is, can I use this for email and surfing
    > > wireless with my broadband connection? And what would I
    > > have to buy to do that? Memory is expandable to 2 slots
    > > of 64mb at $50 each. I have never used a laptop before
    > > and know nothing about wireless connections. Any
    > > suggestions and/or opinions would be appreciated.
    > >
    > a little more ram would be *nice*(wouldn't bother with more than 64mb for
    > win95) , if the system is running , all you need is a PCMCIA Ethernet
    card
    > and possibly a router to share the internet connection

    ---
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    "Brian Gaff" <Briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Yeah, but if he is using wireless comms, he would be better with a PCMCIA
    > direct to radio thingy. Trouble is, these seldom come with drivers for
    > Win
    > 95.

    that is true , difficult to find a win95 compatible wireless , but an older
    wired PCMCIA would still do the trick(most wireless routers still have a
    jack or two for adding a wired system)

    > I feel the machine is borderline speed wise. I have a similar Dell here
    > and
    > it can be very slow at times with OE and IE, though the Netscape package
    > seemed faster to me.

    granted it is not the fastest thing in the world , but i remember using a
    286 and an external modem when i started :>

    slow by todays standards , but not unusable....

    Dave
    > Brian
    >
    > --
    >
    > Brian Gaff....Note, this account does not accept Bcc: email.
    > graphics are great, but the blind can't hear them
    > Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    > __________________________________
    >

    > "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "morem" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have been given a Compaq Presario 1210 laptop that is
    >> > bearing working. I would like to use it for email and
    >> > surfing in my bedroom or outside on the deck. I have a
    >> > Pavilion desktop with a broadband connection also. The
    >> > laptop specs are: Intel Pent. Proc. 150mhz, 16 mb
    >> > Memory, CD-Rom drive, floppy drive, 1.5 GB hard drive,
    >> > and Windows 95 os, 1 PCMCIA slot.
    >> > My question is, can I use this for email and surfing
    >> > wireless with my broadband connection? And what would I
    >> > have to buy to do that? Memory is expandable to 2 slots
    >> > of 64mb at $50 each. I have never used a laptop before
    >> > and know nothing about wireless connections. Any
    >> > suggestions and/or opinions would be appreciated.
    >> >
    >> a little more ram would be *nice*(wouldn't bother with more than 64mb for
    >> win95) , if the system is running , all you need is a PCMCIA Ethernet
    > card
    >> and possibly a router to share the internet connection
    >>

    > ---

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    I am so glad for your suggestions. I don't know anything
    about wireless, routers, or PCMCIA, could you go into
    more detail and explain the costs involved??? Thanks

    __________________
    >> __________________________________
    >>

    >> "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in
    message

    >>> "morem" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    in message
    and
    have a
    The
    drive,
    would I
    slots
    before

    >>> a little more ram would be *nice*(wouldn't bother
    with more than 64mb for
    >>> win95) , if the system is running , all you need is
    a PCMCIA Ethernet
    >> card
    >>> and possibly a router to share the internet connection
    >>>

    >> ---
    >> Checked by AVG anti-virus system
    (http://www.grisoft.com).
    16/08/2004

    >.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    >I am so glad for your suggestions. I don't know anything
    > about wireless, routers, or PCMCIA, could you go into
    > more detail and explain the costs involved??? Thanks

    here is a quick rundown .... you have a cable modem for your highspeed
    connection...between that and your computer goes a router (with a built in
    firewall hopefully)...the router will let you share your connection to
    multiple computers.

    PCMCIA card goes in one of the slots in the side of your laptop and lets you
    connect to the router (home network)...you would need to look for an older
    PCMCIA card that will work in your laptop..

    the wireless aspect is the same but involves a "wireless" router and a
    "wireless" PCMCIA card (which you would have trouble finding for win95 , so
    stick to the wired scenario)

    there are some tutorials on the sites i sent you with more details ...
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    oh yeah ...last router i bought new was 48$+tx CDN

    if you can find an old PCMCIA ...prob around 20-25$

    > "morem" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I am so glad for your suggestions. I don't know anything
    >> about wireless, routers, or PCMCIA, could you go into
    >> more detail and explain the costs involved??? Thanks

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Okay, I don't understand. So, I would have to be
    connected to my other computer with a cable whenever I
    use it?? That would make the laptop unneccessary,
    wouldn't it? If I upgraded to Win 98 would that work for
    wireless? or is that too difficult to do? and where do
    I find out what "older PCMCIA card would work with my
    laptop"??? Also, do you have any ideas where I could
    find a manual on this computer? I tried the hp compaq
    site and I can't even find the product specs. I really
    appreciate your help. Thank you again.

    Date:
    >>> 16/08/2004

    >> here is a quick rundown .... you have a cable modem
    for your highspeed
    >> connection...between that and your computer goes a
    router (with a built in
    >> firewall hopefully)...the router will let you share
    your connection to
    >> multiple computers.
    >>
    >> PCMCIA card goes in one of the slots in the side of
    your laptop and lets
    >> you connect to the router (home network)...you would
    need to look for an
    >> older PCMCIA card that will work in your laptop..
    >>
    >> the wireless aspect is the same but involves
    a "wireless" router and a
    >> "wireless" PCMCIA card (which you would have trouble
    finding for win95 ,
    >> so stick to the wired scenario)
    >>
    >> there are some tutorials on the sites i sent you with
    more details ...

    >.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Oh yeah, you said you sent me links to tutorials????

    Date:
    >>> 16/08/2004

    >> here is a quick rundown .... you have a cable modem
    for your highspeed
    >> connection...between that and your computer goes a
    router (with a built in
    >> firewall hopefully)...the router will let you share
    your connection to
    >> multiple computers.
    >>
    >> PCMCIA card goes in one of the slots in the side of
    your laptop and lets
    >> you connect to the router (home network)...you would
    need to look for an
    >> older PCMCIA card that will work in your laptop..
    >>
    >> the wireless aspect is the same but involves
    a "wireless" router and a
    >> "wireless" PCMCIA card (which you would have trouble
    finding for win95 ,
    >> so stick to the wired scenario)
    >>
    >> there are some tutorials on the sites i sent you with
    more details ...

    >.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    didn't I ? :>

    General reference /Networking
    http://www.aumha.org/index.php
    http://www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm
    http://support.microsoft.com/
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    http://www.pctechnicians.ca/
    http://www.wown.com/

    check out "practically networked"

    info on your computer
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/siteHome?dlc=en&lc=en&cc=us&

    type in "presario 1210" or if the link doesn't work try this

    http://www.compaq.com/athome/support/

    :> yeah , running a cable out to the patio would be sortof useless....I just
    don't know if you could find a PCMCIA wireless card to work with win95

    yes win98SE is better equipped for wireless (more driver support than win95)
    but your CPU is sortof slow for 98...and you WOULD need to upgrade memory

    as far as finding a PCMCIA card ....a "forsale" newsgroup in your area would
    be a good start...know any computer techies ?

    :>

    > Oh yeah, you said you sent me links to tutorials????

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    "morem" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have been given a Compaq Presario 1210 laptop that is
    >bearing working. I would like to use it for email and
    >surfing in my bedroom or outside on the deck. I have a
    >Pavilion desktop with a broadband connection also. The
    >laptop specs are: Intel Pent. Proc. 150mhz, 16 mb
    >Memory, CD-Rom drive, floppy drive, 1.5 GB hard drive,
    >and Windows 95 os, 1 PCMCIA slot.
    > My question is, can I use this for email and surfing
    >wireless with my broadband connection? And what would I
    >have to buy to do that? Memory is expandable to 2 slots
    >of 64mb at $50 each. I have never used a laptop before
    >and know nothing about wireless connections. Any
    >suggestions and/or opinions would be appreciated.

    You will need to:
    - upgrade the RAM to at least 64 mb
    - upgrade the operating system to Windows 98 Second Edition
    - purchase a wireless home router
    - purchase a wireless PCMCIA (PC Card) network adapter

    Before spending any money on the machine go to the Compaq web site and
    make sure they have driver updates available for Windows 98 on your
    specific Compaq model. Otherwise it will probably not work okay.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP