Win 95b "Opti-Pack" update any good?

My 1997 Sony VAIO desktop is 95b Pentium 233 with 96 RAM-
Resources 78% free- (yeah I got lots of stuff on it-
music, recipes, love letters- ha ha, don't I wish?)
I love Firefox for browser! Question is has anyone
experience with offer from www.on-disk.com --
$4.95 "Includes everything you need to turn Microsoft 95b
to a Modern Operating System"- Or should I consider
upgrading to Win 98 SE?

THEN, somehow I lost whatever needed to play MP3 files.
RealPlayer doesn't support Win95 anymore . . . THANKS! ~Ed

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I would upgrade to 98 Se because Microsoft is supporting
it until June 30 2006.

But The Windows Media Player version 6.4 plays MP3 files,
so try entering mplayer2 in the Start => Run box to make
Windows use it.

It works in 98 SE, but I don't know if it does in 95B.

Eric,
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/
http://www.sharedbirthday.co.uk/

Windows Media Player 6.4 for Windows 95 and Windows NT:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/win32otherx86.aspx
or
http://snipurl.com/ox1
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Eric" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I would upgrade to 98 Se because Microsoft is supporting
> it until June 30 2006.
>
> But The Windows Media Player version 6.4 plays MP3 files,
> so try entering mplayer2 in the Start => Run box to make
> Windows use it.
>
> It works in 98 SE, but I don't know if it does in 95B.
>
> Eric,
> http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/
> http://www.sharedbirthday.co.uk/

Thanks for all the good advice.
I have Media Player 6.4.07.1112 -- BUT when I click that,
it says "Cannot find VBRUN300.DLL windows needs file to
play MP3" -- I went to Microsoft and downloaded the file,
but now what do I do with that? Could not find any info so
I'm sorry to bother you guys further. Thanks! ~Ed

Ed Langley wrote:

> My 1997 Sony VAIO desktop is 95b Pentium 233 with 96 RAM-
> Resources 78% free- (yeah I got lots of stuff on it-
> music, recipes, love letters- ha ha, don't I wish?)
> I love Firefox for browser! Question is has anyone
> experience with offer from www.on-disk.com --
> $4.95 "Includes everything you need to turn Microsoft 95b
> to a Modern Operating System"- Or should I consider
> upgrading to Win 98 SE?
>
> THEN, somehow I lost whatever needed to play MP3 files.
> RealPlayer doesn't support Win95 anymore . . . THANKS! ~Ed

You probably mean that the most recent RealPlayer doesn't play
with Windows 95?

You need not use the newest one, you'll do fine with an older one.
I would select RealPlayer 8 Basic, and download it from here:

http://forms.real.com/real/player/blackjack.html

After installation, you can see the installed components by
- View ->Preferences -> Upgrade tab -> RealPlayer Plug-ins ->
Settings... , and you are shown what's installed.

You need to update and get new plug-ins by selecting
- Help -> Check for Update (RP connects to Real server for a list)

Use some judgement and taste to select what updates to install, as
all of them are really not necessary. After upgrading you'll have
adequate setup. However, I am not sure whether Real has ceased to
serve upgrades for this version, as I downloaded my upgrades some
time ago.

You were also presented some alternatives in other replies,
from which to choose.

--
S.Suikkanen

"Sauli Suikkanen" <ei@posti.osoitetta.notvalid> wrote in message
> Ed Langley wrote:
> >
> > My 1997 Sony VAIO desktop is 95b Pentium 233 with 96 RAM-
> > Resources 78% free- (yeah I got lots of stuff on it-
> > music, recipes, love letters- ha ha, don't I wish?)
> > I love Firefox for browser! Question is has anyone
> > experience with offer from www.on-disk.com --
> > $4.95 "Includes everything you need to turn Microsoft 95b
> > to a Modern Operating System"- Or should I consider
> > upgrading to Win 98 SE?
> >
> > THEN, somehow I lost whatever needed to play MP3 files.
> > RealPlayer doesn't support Win95 anymore . . . THANKS! ~Ed
>

> You probably mean that the most recent RealPlayer doesn't play
> with Windows 95?
>
> You need not use the newest one, you'll do fine with an older one.
> I would select RealPlayer 8 Basic, and download it from here:
>
> http://forms.real.com/real/player/blackjack.html
>
> After installation, you can see the installed components by
> - View ->Preferences -> Upgrade tab -> RealPlayer Plug-ins ->
> Settings... , and you are shown what's installed.
>
> You need to update and get new plug-ins by selecting
> - Help -> Check for Update (RP connects to Real server for a list)
>
> Use some judgement and taste to select what updates to install, as
> all of them are really not necessary. After upgrading you'll have
> adequate setup. However, I am not sure whether Real has ceased to
> serve upgrades for this version, as I downloaded my upgrades some
> time ago.
>

> You were also presented some alternatives in other replies,
> from which to choose.
>

> --
> S.Suikkanen

You are correct, of course. I have RealPlayer 8 installed on Win95B with no
problems. I turn off Smart Start and updating options after install.

Here is another link to the download you mentioned:
http://forms.real.com/real/player/legacy.html?type=mlb
Direct download:
http://software-dl.real.com/230d0b8f20b8d9698e20/windows/rp8-setup.exe
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Put it in the Windows\System folder.
--

"Ed Langley" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Thanks for all the good advice.
I have Media Player 6.4.07.1112 -- BUT when I click that,
it says "Cannot find VBRUN300.DLL windows needs file to
play MP3" -- I went to Microsoft and downloaded the file,
but now what do I do with that? Could not find any info so
I'm sorry to bother you guys further. Thanks! ~Ed

Thanks Glen- NOW, how do I do that?
Sorry I can't seem to grasp what to do with the file.
It appears to be a DOS file- vbrun300 -
- "Self Extract Utility Version 2.04g 02-01-93"
Then says "WARNING! VBRUN.DLL already exists. Overwrite (y/n)?
What do I do with it? Thanks again . . .
~Ed

"glee" wrote:

> Put it in the Windows\System folder.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> "Ed Langley" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for all the good advice.
> I have Media Player 6.4.07.1112 -- BUT when I click that,
> it says "Cannot find VBRUN300.DLL windows needs file to
> play MP3" -- I went to Microsoft and downloaded the file,
> but now what do I do with that? Could not find any info so
> I'm sorry to bother you guys further. Thanks! ~Ed

Please post the link where you got the file.
--

"ed61115" <ed61115@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Glen- NOW, how do I do that?
> Sorry I can't seem to grasp what to do with the file.
> It appears to be a DOS file- vbrun300 -
> - "Self Extract Utility Version 2.04g 02-01-93"
> Then says "WARNING! VBRUN.DLL already exists. Overwrite (y/n)?
> What do I do with it? Thanks again . . .
> ~Ed
>
> "glee" wrote:
>
> > Put it in the Windows\System folder.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > "Ed Langley" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for all the good advice.
> > I have Media Player 6.4.07.1112 -- BUT when I click that,
> > it says "Cannot find VBRUN300.DLL windows needs file to
> > play MP3" -- I went to Microsoft and downloaded the file,
> > but now what do I do with that? Could not find any info so
> > I'm sorry to bother you guys further. Thanks! ~Ed

Sorry Glen, just went to Google and found one. Went back but couldn't find
the exact place. It seems to work tho- thanks for all your input. ~Ed