cannot startup

Hello. I have recently installed Win95 and it cannot startup, after
installing, after the "Win95 is starting for the first time" screen, it says
that is has a problem with the IOS controller. I formatted and installed
again, and the same happened. Any suggestion?
Thanks in advance :)

What is the exact message?

Has W95 run on this machine before? How much RAM is installed in this
machine, and what speed is it running at?
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> Hello. I have recently installed Win95 and it cannot startup, after
> installing, after the "Win95 is starting for the first time" screen, it
> says
> that is has a problem with the IOS controller. I formatted and installed
> again, and the same happened. Any suggestion?
> Thanks in advance :)

Hi. Thank you for replying so quickly!
I have never ran Win95 in this machine before. But I have WinXP and Win98
running and they work ok. It's a Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz 256 mb ram, so it should
work perfectly ok.
The exact message is the following (actually it's a translation because I
have Win95 in Spanish but it's the same, right?): "When initializing the IOS
device: Protection error. It is necessary to reboot the machine".
Thank you ^^

"Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
> What is the exact message?
>
> Has W95 run on this machine before? How much RAM is installed in this
> machine, and what speed is it running at?
> --
> Jeff Richards
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> "Damian Waics"
> <faku@speedy.remove.this.and.the.-spam-.at.the.end.com.ar-spam-> wrote in
> message news:ejL3VeYiEHA.592@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > Hello. I have recently installed Win95 and it cannot startup, after
> > installing, after the "Win95 is starting for the first time" screen, it
> > says
> > that is has a problem with the IOS controller. I formatted and installed
> > again, and the same happened. Any suggestion?
> > Thanks in advance :)

HAGGIS

message news:%23Sx0XKgiEHA.2340@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Hi. Thank you for replying so quickly!
> I have never ran Win95 in this machine before. But I have WinXP and Win98
> running and they work ok. It's a Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz 256 mb ram, so it
> should
> work perfectly ok.
> The exact message is the following (actually it's a translation because I
> have Win95 in Spanish but it's the same, right?): "When initializing the
> IOS
> device: Protection error. It is necessary to reboot the machine".
> Thank you ^^
>
> "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
>> What is the exact message?
>>
>> Has W95 run on this machine before? How much RAM is installed in this
>> machine, and what speed is it running at?
>> --
>> Jeff Richards
>> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
>> "Damian Waics"
>> <faku@speedy.remove.this.and.the.-spam-.at.the.end.com.ar-spam-> wrote in
>> message news:ejL3VeYiEHA.592@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> > Hello. I have recently installed Win95 and it cannot startup, after
>> > installing, after the "Win95 is starting for the first time" screen, it
>> > says
>> > that is has a problem with the IOS controller. I formatted and
>> > installed
>> > again, and the same happened. Any suggestion?
>> > Thanks in advance :)

you would need this patch for processor of that speed and win95 (originally
K6-2 350 AMD patch) to allow win95 to run on systems 350mhz and up

http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUServicePacks/AMDPatch/Default.asp

Hi, thank you so much for helping.
I checked that page and it says I need certain version of Windows in order
to use it. How can I check which version I have? I cannot startup the system
but I can see the files in the partition where it's installed. Tried opening
Winver but it just says "Windows 95".
Thanks!

"Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Damian Waics"
> <faku@speedy.remove.this.and.the.-spam-.at.the.end.com.ar-spam-> wrote in
> message news:%23Sx0XKgiEHA.2340@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > Hi. Thank you for replying so quickly!
> > I have never ran Win95 in this machine before. But I have WinXP and
Win98
> > running and they work ok. It's a Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz 256 mb ram, so it
> > should
> > work perfectly ok.
> > The exact message is the following (actually it's a translation because
> > have Win95 in Spanish but it's the same, right?): "When initializing the
> > IOS
> > device: Protection error. It is necessary to reboot the machine".
> > Thank you ^^
> >
> > "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
> >> What is the exact message?
> >>
> >> Has W95 run on this machine before? How much RAM is installed in this
> >> machine, and what speed is it running at?
> >> --
> >> Jeff Richards
> >> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> >> "Damian Waics"
> >> <faku@speedy.remove.this.and.the.-spam-.at.the.end.com.ar-spam-> wrote
in
> >> message news:ejL3VeYiEHA.592@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> >> >

> you would need this patch for processor of that speed and win95
(originally
> K6-2 350 AMD patch) to allow win95 to run on systems 350mhz and up

http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUServicePacks/AMDPatch/Default.asp

i tried opening it anyway from WinXP and it says "This update is not
designed for Windows NT"

message news:eQtoY%23jiEHA.3612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hi, thank you so much for helping.
> I checked that page and it says I need certain version of Windows in order
> to use it. How can I check which version I have? I cannot startup the
system
> but I can see the files in the partition where it's installed. Tried
opening
> Winver but it just says "Windows 95".
> Thanks!
>
> "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Damian Waics"
> > <faku@speedy.remove.this.and.the.-spam-.at.the.end.com.ar-spam-> wrote
in
> > message news:%23Sx0XKgiEHA.2340@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > > Hi. Thank you for replying so quickly!
> > > I have never ran Win95 in this machine before. But I have WinXP and
> Win98
> > > running and they work ok. It's a Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz 256 mb ram, so it
> > > should
> > > work perfectly ok.
> > > The exact message is the following (actually it's a translation
because
> > > have Win95 in Spanish but it's the same, right?): "When initializing
the
> > > IOS
> > > device: Protection error. It is necessary to reboot the machine".
> > > Thank you ^^
> > >
> > > "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message

> in
> it
> > >> >

> > you would need this patch for processor of that speed and win95
> (originally
> > K6-2 350 AMD patch) to allow win95 to run on systems 350mhz and up

http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUServicePacks/AMDPatch/Default.asp

What does your installation CD say about the Windows version?
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"Damian Waics"
<faku@speedy.remove.this.and.the.-spam-.at.the.end.com.ar-spam-> wrote in
message news:eQtoY%23jiEHA.3612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hi, thank you so much for helping.
> I checked that page and it says I need certain version of Windows in order
> to use it. How can I check which version I have? I cannot startup the
> system
> but I can see the files in the partition where it's installed. Tried
> opening
> Winver but it just says "Windows 95".
> Thanks!

HAGGIS

> What does your installation CD say about the Windows version?
> --
> Jeff Richards
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> "Damian Waics"
> <faku@speedy.remove.this.and.the.-spam-.at.the.end.com.ar-spam-> wrote in
> message news:eQtoY%23jiEHA.3612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Hi, thank you so much for helping.
>> I checked that page and it says I need certain version of Windows in
>> order
>> to use it. How can I check which version I have? I cannot startup the
>> system
>> but I can see the files in the partition where it's installed. Tried
>> opening
>> Winver but it just says "Windows 95".
>> Thanks!

check control panel >system if under system it does not have a version
number with a "B" on the end ...your version of win95 is an earliers version
"4.00.9500 B"

this patch is only good for win95B/C (OSR SR2) ...I'm afraid if you don't
have that version , you won't get very far on that computer without the
patch...

hope that helps :>

HAGGIS

> "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
>> What does your installation CD say about the Windows version?
>> --
>> Jeff Richards
>> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
>> "Damian Waics"
>> <faku@speedy.remove.this.and.the.-spam-.at.the.end.com.ar-spam-> wrote in
>> message news:eQtoY%23jiEHA.3612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>> Hi, thank you so much for helping.
>>> I checked that page and it says I need certain version of Windows in
>>> order
>>> to use it. How can I check which version I have? I cannot startup the
>>> system
>>> but I can see the files in the partition where it's installed. Tried
>>> opening
>>> Winver but it just says "Windows 95".
>>> Thanks!
>>

> check control panel >system if under system it does not have a version
> number with a "B" on the end ...your version of win95 is an earliers
> version "4.00.9500 B"
>
> this patch is only good for win95B/C (OSR SR2) ...I'm afraid if you don't
> have that version , you won't get very far on that computer without the
> patch...
>
> hope that helps :>

oops , right you said you can't start system...not even safe mode to try to
patch? (won't hurt to try it , it will either work or not :> )

Thanks for helping ^^
No, I can't start the system =\
The version I have is 4.00.950 B so it applies for the patch, the problem is
how do I install it?
Thanks in advance :)

> "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
> >> What does your installation CD say about the Windows version?
> >> --
> >> Jeff Richards
> >> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> >> "Damian Waics"
> >> <faku@speedy.remove.this.and.the.-spam-.at.the.end.com.ar-spam-> wrote
in
> >> message news:eQtoY%23jiEHA.3612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> >>

> > check control panel >system if under system it does not have a version
> > number with a "B" on the end ...your version of win95 is an earliers
> > version "4.00.9500 B"
> >
> > this patch is only good for win95B/C (OSR SR2) ...I'm afraid if you
don't
> > have that version , you won't get very far on that computer without the
> > patch...
> >
> > hope that helps :>
> >

> oops , right you said you can't start system...not even safe mode to try
> patch? (won't hurt to try it , it will either work or not :> )

HAGGIS

can you get into safe mode at all? (tapping F8 during boot)

if you can ...that would be the only way I can think of (at the moment :> )

message news:Okc%23IFsiEHA.1644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Thanks for helping ^^
> No, I can't start the system =\
> The version I have is 4.00.950 B so it applies for the patch, the problem
> is
> how do I install it?
> Thanks in advance :)
>
> "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
> in
>> >>

>> > check control panel >system if under system it does not have a version
>> > number with a "B" on the end ...your version of win95 is an earliers
>> > version "4.00.9500 B"
>> >
>> > this patch is only good for win95B/C (OSR SR2) ...I'm afraid if you
> don't
>> > have that version , you won't get very far on that computer without the
>> > patch...
>> >
>> > hope that helps :>
>> >

>> oops , right you said you can't start system...not even safe mode to try
>> patch? (won't hurt to try it , it will either work or not :> )

See "Option 2" on the following page.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/techpubs/customer_advisories/DB010327_CW01_2.html

Ben

"Damian Waics" <faku@speedy.remove.this.and.the.-spam-.at.the.end.com.ar-spam-> wrote in message news:Okc#IFsiEHA.1644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Thanks for helping ^^
> No, I can't start the system =\
> The version I have is 4.00.950 B so it applies for the patch, the problem is
> how do I install it?
> Thanks in advance :)
>
> "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
> in
> > >>

> > > check control panel >system if under system it does not have a version
> > > number with a "B" on the end ...your version of win95 is an earliers
> > > version "4.00.9500 B"
> > >
> > > this patch is only good for win95B/C (OSR SR2) ...I'm afraid if you
> don't
> > > have that version , you won't get very far on that computer without the
> > > patch...
> > >
> > > hope that helps :>
> > >

> > oops , right you said you can't start system...not even safe mode to try
> > patch? (won't hurt to try it , it will either work or not :> )

No, I can't =\
And the program does not run under MS DOS.

> can you get into safe mode at all? (tapping F8 during boot)
>
> if you can ...that would be the only way I can think of (at the moment
:> )

> "Damian Waics"
> <faku@speedy.remove.this.and.the.-spam-.at.the.end.com.ar-spam-> wrote in
> message news:Okc%23IFsiEHA.1644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Thanks for helping ^^
> > No, I can't start the system =\
> > The version I have is 4.00.950 B so it applies for the patch, the
problem
> > is
> > how do I install it?
> > Thanks in advance :)
> >
> > "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message

> > in
Tried

> > don't

> >> oops , right you said you can't start system...not even safe mode to
try
> >> patch? (won't hurt to try it , it will either work or not :> )

HAGGIS

Ben found it :> check his response

message news:eZtlIYsiEHA.2068@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> No, I can't =\
> And the program does not run under MS DOS.
>
> "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
>> can you get into safe mode at all? (tapping F8 during boot)
>>
>> if you can ...that would be the only way I can think of (at the moment
> :> )
>>
>> "Damian Waics"
>> <faku@speedy.remove.this.and.the.-spam-.at.the.end.com.ar-spam-> wrote in
>> message news:Okc%23IFsiEHA.1644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> > Thanks for helping ^^
>> > No, I can't start the system =\
>> > The version I have is 4.00.950 B so it applies for the patch, the
> problem
>> > is
>> > how do I install it?
>> > Thanks in advance :)
>> >
>> > "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message

> wrote
>> > in
> in
> the
> Tried

> version

>> > don't
> the

> try

finally can run Win95, thank you very much! =D
now my question is: how do I install "updates" or whatever I can? =S
it has IE 3.01 and old things like that... where can I download Internet
Explorer 5 that, as I know, it's the last version supported by Win95?
checked in Microsoft but it's not available
thank you very much!

"Ben Myers" <benjmyers@mindREMOVEspring.com> wrote in message
See "Option 2" on the following page.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/techpubs/customer_advisories/DB010327_CW01_2.html

Ben

"Damian Waics"
<faku@speedy.remove.this.and.the.-spam-.at.the.end.com.ar-spam-> wrote in
message news:Okc#IFsiEHA.1644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Thanks for helping ^^
> No, I can't start the system =\
> The version I have is 4.00.950 B so it applies for the patch, the problem
is
> how do I install it?
> Thanks in advance :)
>
> "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
> in
> > >>

> > > check control panel >system if under system it does not have a
version
> > > number with a "B" on the end ...your version of win95 is an earliers
> > > version "4.00.9500 B"
> > >
> > > this patch is only good for win95B/C (OSR SR2) ...I'm afraid if you
> don't
> > > have that version , you won't get very far on that computer without
the
> > > patch...
> > >
> > > hope that helps :>
> > >

> > oops , right you said you can't start system...not even safe mode to try
> > patch? (won't hurt to try it , it will either work or not :> )

HAGGIS

I'm glad somebody found that fix :> my memory is too bad!

last browser supported by win IE5.5 spa

(and others)can be downloaded here

http://browsers.evolt.org/

you can get patches and what not here

http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/

enjoy!

message news:Ovpvor$iEHA.2340@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

wrote:

>finally can run Win95, thank you very much! =D
>now my question is: how do I install "updates" or whatever I can? =S
>it has IE 3.01 and old things like that... where can I download Internet
>Explorer 5 that, as I know, it's the last version supported by Win95?

The latest version of IE that will run under Win95 is IE5.5SP2. It can
be had here: http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit

You can also run the latest versions of Mozilla and Mozilla Firefox
(http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/), which are more up to date
and more standards-compliant than IE.

--
Tim Slattery