cannot startup

Hello. I have recently installed Win95 and it cannot startup, after
installing, after the "Win95 is starting for the first time" screen, it says
that is has a problem with the IOS controller. I formatted and installed
again, and the same happened. Any suggestion?
Thanks in advance :)
16 answers Last reply
More about cannot startup

    What is the exact message?

    Has W95 run on this machine before? How much RAM is installed in this
    machine, and what speed is it running at?
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    > Hello. I have recently installed Win95 and it cannot startup, after
    > installing, after the "Win95 is starting for the first time" screen, it
    > says
    > that is has a problem with the IOS controller. I formatted and installed
    > again, and the same happened. Any suggestion?
    > Thanks in advance :)

    Hi. Thank you for replying so quickly!
    I have never ran Win95 in this machine before. But I have WinXP and Win98
    running and they work ok. It's a Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz 256 mb ram, so it should
    work perfectly ok.
    The exact message is the following (actually it's a translation because I
    have Win95 in Spanish but it's the same, right?): "When initializing the IOS
    device: Protection error. It is necessary to reboot the machine".
    Thank you ^^

    "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
    > What is the exact message?
    >
    > Has W95 run on this machine before? How much RAM is installed in this
    > machine, and what speed is it running at?
    > --
    > Jeff Richards
    > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    > "Damian Waics"
    > <faku@speedy.remove.this.and.the.-spam-.at.the.end.com.ar-spam-> wrote in
    > message news:ejL3VeYiEHA.592@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > > Hello. I have recently installed Win95 and it cannot startup, after
    > > installing, after the "Win95 is starting for the first time" screen, it
    > > says
    > > that is has a problem with the IOS controller. I formatted and installed
    > > again, and the same happened. Any suggestion?
    > > Thanks in advance :)

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    message news:%23Sx0XKgiEHA.2340@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > Hi. Thank you for replying so quickly!
    > I have never ran Win95 in this machine before. But I have WinXP and Win98
    > running and they work ok. It's a Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz 256 mb ram, so it
    > should
    > work perfectly ok.
    > The exact message is the following (actually it's a translation because I
    > have Win95 in Spanish but it's the same, right?): "When initializing the
    > IOS
    > device: Protection error. It is necessary to reboot the machine".
    > Thank you ^^
    >
    > "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
    >> What is the exact message?
    >>
    >> Has W95 run on this machine before? How much RAM is installed in this
    >> machine, and what speed is it running at?
    >> --
    >> Jeff Richards
    >> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    >> "Damian Waics"
    >> <faku@speedy.remove.this.and.the.-spam-.at.the.end.com.ar-spam-> wrote in
    >> message news:ejL3VeYiEHA.592@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    >> > Hello. I have recently installed Win95 and it cannot startup, after
    >> > installing, after the "Win95 is starting for the first time" screen, it
    >> > says
    >> > that is has a problem with the IOS controller. I formatted and
    >> > installed
    >> > again, and the same happened. Any suggestion?
    >> > Thanks in advance :)

    you would need this patch for processor of that speed and win95 (originally
    K6-2 350 AMD patch) to allow win95 to run on systems 350mhz and up

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUServicePacks/AMDPatch/Default.asp
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Hi, thank you so much for helping.
    I checked that page and it says I need certain version of Windows in order
    to use it. How can I check which version I have? I cannot startup the system
    but I can see the files in the partition where it's installed. Tried opening
    Winver but it just says "Windows 95".
    Thanks!

    "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Damian Waics"
    > <faku@speedy.remove.this.and.the.-spam-.at.the.end.com.ar-spam-> wrote in
    > message news:%23Sx0XKgiEHA.2340@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > > Hi. Thank you for replying so quickly!
    > > I have never ran Win95 in this machine before. But I have WinXP and
    Win98
    > > running and they work ok. It's a Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz 256 mb ram, so it
    > > should
    > > work perfectly ok.
    > > The exact message is the following (actually it's a translation because
    > > have Win95 in Spanish but it's the same, right?): "When initializing the
    > > IOS
    > > device: Protection error. It is necessary to reboot the machine".
    > > Thank you ^^
    > >
    > > "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
    > >> What is the exact message?
    > >>
    > >> Has W95 run on this machine before? How much RAM is installed in this
    > >> machine, and what speed is it running at?
    > >> --
    > >> Jeff Richards
    > >> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    > >> "Damian Waics"
    > >> <faku@speedy.remove.this.and.the.-spam-.at.the.end.com.ar-spam-> wrote
    in
    > >> message news:ejL3VeYiEHA.592@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > >> >

    > you would need this patch for processor of that speed and win95
    (originally
    > K6-2 350 AMD patch) to allow win95 to run on systems 350mhz and up

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUServicePacks/AMDPatch/Default.asp

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    i tried opening it anyway from WinXP and it says "This update is not
    designed for Windows NT"

    message news:eQtoY%23jiEHA.3612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > Hi, thank you so much for helping.
    > I checked that page and it says I need certain version of Windows in order
    > to use it. How can I check which version I have? I cannot startup the
    system
    > but I can see the files in the partition where it's installed. Tried
    opening
    > Winver but it just says "Windows 95".
    > Thanks!
    >
    > "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Damian Waics"
    > > <faku@speedy.remove.this.and.the.-spam-.at.the.end.com.ar-spam-> wrote
    in
    > > message news:%23Sx0XKgiEHA.2340@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > > > Hi. Thank you for replying so quickly!
    > > > I have never ran Win95 in this machine before. But I have WinXP and
    > Win98
    > > > running and they work ok. It's a Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz 256 mb ram, so it
    > > > should
    > > > work perfectly ok.
    > > > The exact message is the following (actually it's a translation
    because
    > > > have Win95 in Spanish but it's the same, right?): "When initializing
    the
    > > > IOS
    > > > device: Protection error. It is necessary to reboot the machine".
    > > > Thank you ^^
    > > >
    > > > "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message

    > in
    > it
    > > >> >

    > > you would need this patch for processor of that speed and win95
    > (originally
    > > K6-2 350 AMD patch) to allow win95 to run on systems 350mhz and up

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUServicePacks/AMDPatch/Default.asp

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    What does your installation CD say about the Windows version?
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "Damian Waics"
    <faku@speedy.remove.this.and.the.-spam-.at.the.end.com.ar-spam-> wrote in
    message news:eQtoY%23jiEHA.3612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > Hi, thank you so much for helping.
    > I checked that page and it says I need certain version of Windows in order
    > to use it. How can I check which version I have? I cannot startup the
    > system
    > but I can see the files in the partition where it's installed. Tried
    > opening
    > Winver but it just says "Windows 95".
    > Thanks!
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    > What does your installation CD say about the Windows version?
    > --
    > Jeff Richards
    > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    > "Damian Waics"
    > <faku@speedy.remove.this.and.the.-spam-.at.the.end.com.ar-spam-> wrote in
    > message news:eQtoY%23jiEHA.3612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    >> Hi, thank you so much for helping.
    >> I checked that page and it says I need certain version of Windows in
    >> order
    >> to use it. How can I check which version I have? I cannot startup the
    >> system
    >> but I can see the files in the partition where it's installed. Tried
    >> opening
    >> Winver but it just says "Windows 95".
    >> Thanks!

    check control panel >system if under system it does not have a version
    number with a "B" on the end ...your version of win95 is an earliers version
    "4.00.9500 B"

    this patch is only good for win95B/C (OSR SR2) ...I'm afraid if you don't
    have that version , you won't get very far on that computer without the
    patch...

    hope that helps :>
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    > "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
    >> What does your installation CD say about the Windows version?
    >> --
    >> Jeff Richards
    >> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    >> "Damian Waics"
    >> <faku@speedy.remove.this.and.the.-spam-.at.the.end.com.ar-spam-> wrote in
    >> message news:eQtoY%23jiEHA.3612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    >>> Hi, thank you so much for helping.
    >>> I checked that page and it says I need certain version of Windows in
    >>> order
    >>> to use it. How can I check which version I have? I cannot startup the
    >>> system
    >>> but I can see the files in the partition where it's installed. Tried
    >>> opening
    >>> Winver but it just says "Windows 95".
    >>> Thanks!
    >>

    > check control panel >system if under system it does not have a version
    > number with a "B" on the end ...your version of win95 is an earliers
    > version "4.00.9500 B"
    >
    > this patch is only good for win95B/C (OSR SR2) ...I'm afraid if you don't
    > have that version , you won't get very far on that computer without the
    > patch...
    >
    > hope that helps :>

    oops , right you said you can't start system...not even safe mode to try to
    patch? (won't hurt to try it , it will either work or not :> )
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Thanks for helping ^^
    No, I can't start the system =\
    The version I have is 4.00.950 B so it applies for the patch, the problem is
    how do I install it?
    Thanks in advance :)

    > "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
    > >> What does your installation CD say about the Windows version?
    > >> --
    > >> Jeff Richards
    > >> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    > >> "Damian Waics"
    > >> <faku@speedy.remove.this.and.the.-spam-.at.the.end.com.ar-spam-> wrote
    in
    > >> message news:eQtoY%23jiEHA.3612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > >>

    > > check control panel >system if under system it does not have a version
    > > number with a "B" on the end ...your version of win95 is an earliers
    > > version "4.00.9500 B"
    > >
    > > this patch is only good for win95B/C (OSR SR2) ...I'm afraid if you
    don't
    > > have that version , you won't get very far on that computer without the
    > > patch...
    > >
    > > hope that helps :>
    > >

    > oops , right you said you can't start system...not even safe mode to try
    > patch? (won't hurt to try it , it will either work or not :> )

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    can you get into safe mode at all? (tapping F8 during boot)

    if you can ...that would be the only way I can think of (at the moment :> )

    message news:Okc%23IFsiEHA.1644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Thanks for helping ^^
    > No, I can't start the system =\
    > The version I have is 4.00.950 B so it applies for the patch, the problem
    > is
    > how do I install it?
    > Thanks in advance :)
    >
    > "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
    > in
    >> >>

    >> > check control panel >system if under system it does not have a version
    >> > number with a "B" on the end ...your version of win95 is an earliers
    >> > version "4.00.9500 B"
    >> >
    >> > this patch is only good for win95B/C (OSR SR2) ...I'm afraid if you
    > don't
    >> > have that version , you won't get very far on that computer without the
    >> > patch...
    >> >
    >> > hope that helps :>
    >> >

    >> oops , right you said you can't start system...not even safe mode to try
    >> patch? (won't hurt to try it , it will either work or not :> )

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    See "Option 2" on the following page.

    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/techpubs/customer_advisories/DB010327_CW01_2.html

    Ben

    "Damian Waics" <faku@speedy.remove.this.and.the.-spam-.at.the.end.com.ar-spam-> wrote in message news:Okc#IFsiEHA.1644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Thanks for helping ^^
    > No, I can't start the system =\
    > The version I have is 4.00.950 B so it applies for the patch, the problem is
    > how do I install it?
    > Thanks in advance :)
    >
    > "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
    > in
    > > >>

    > > > check control panel >system if under system it does not have a version
    > > > number with a "B" on the end ...your version of win95 is an earliers
    > > > version "4.00.9500 B"
    > > >
    > > > this patch is only good for win95B/C (OSR SR2) ...I'm afraid if you
    > don't
    > > > have that version , you won't get very far on that computer without the
    > > > patch...
    > > >
    > > > hope that helps :>
    > > >

    > > oops , right you said you can't start system...not even safe mode to try
    > > patch? (won't hurt to try it , it will either work or not :> )

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    No, I can't =\
    And the program does not run under MS DOS.

    > can you get into safe mode at all? (tapping F8 during boot)
    >
    > if you can ...that would be the only way I can think of (at the moment
    :> )

    > "Damian Waics"
    > <faku@speedy.remove.this.and.the.-spam-.at.the.end.com.ar-spam-> wrote in
    > message news:Okc%23IFsiEHA.1644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > > Thanks for helping ^^
    > > No, I can't start the system =\
    > > The version I have is 4.00.950 B so it applies for the patch, the
    problem
    > > is
    > > how do I install it?
    > > Thanks in advance :)
    > >
    > > "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message

    > > in
    Tried

    > > don't

    > >> oops , right you said you can't start system...not even safe mode to
    try
    > >> patch? (won't hurt to try it , it will either work or not :> )

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Ben found it :> check his response

    message news:eZtlIYsiEHA.2068@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > No, I can't =\
    > And the program does not run under MS DOS.
    >
    > "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> can you get into safe mode at all? (tapping F8 during boot)
    >>
    >> if you can ...that would be the only way I can think of (at the moment
    > :> )
    >>
    >> "Damian Waics"
    >> <faku@speedy.remove.this.and.the.-spam-.at.the.end.com.ar-spam-> wrote in
    >> message news:Okc%23IFsiEHA.1644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >> > Thanks for helping ^^
    >> > No, I can't start the system =\
    >> > The version I have is 4.00.950 B so it applies for the patch, the
    > problem
    >> > is
    >> > how do I install it?
    >> > Thanks in advance :)
    >> >
    >> > "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message

    > wrote
    >> > in
    > in
    > the
    > Tried

    > version

    >> > don't
    > the

    > try

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    finally can run Win95, thank you very much! =D
    now my question is: how do I install "updates" or whatever I can? =S
    it has IE 3.01 and old things like that... where can I download Internet
    Explorer 5 that, as I know, it's the last version supported by Win95?
    checked in Microsoft but it's not available
    thank you very much!

    "Ben Myers" <benjmyers@mindREMOVEspring.com> wrote in message
    See "Option 2" on the following page.

    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/techpubs/customer_advisories/DB010327_CW01_2.html

    Ben

    "Damian Waics"
    <faku@speedy.remove.this.and.the.-spam-.at.the.end.com.ar-spam-> wrote in
    message news:Okc#IFsiEHA.1644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Thanks for helping ^^
    > No, I can't start the system =\
    > The version I have is 4.00.950 B so it applies for the patch, the problem
    is
    > how do I install it?
    > Thanks in advance :)
    >
    > "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Jeff Richards" <JRichards@msn.com.au> wrote in message
    > in
    > > >>

    > > > check control panel >system if under system it does not have a
    version
    > > > number with a "B" on the end ...your version of win95 is an earliers
    > > > version "4.00.9500 B"
    > > >
    > > > this patch is only good for win95B/C (OSR SR2) ...I'm afraid if you
    > don't
    > > > have that version , you won't get very far on that computer without
    the
    > > > patch...
    > > >
    > > > hope that helps :>
    > > >

    > > oops , right you said you can't start system...not even safe mode to try
    > > patch? (won't hurt to try it , it will either work or not :> )

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    I'm glad somebody found that fix :> my memory is too bad!

    last browser supported by win IE5.5 spa

    (and others)can be downloaded here

    http://browsers.evolt.org/

    you can get patches and what not here

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/

    enjoy!

    message news:Ovpvor$iEHA.2340@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > finally can run Win95, thank you very much! =D
    > now my question is: how do I install "updates" or whatever I can? =S
    > it has IE 3.01 and old things like that... where can I download Internet
    > Explorer 5 that, as I know, it's the last version supported by Win95?
    > checked in Microsoft but it's not available
    > thank you very much!
    >
    > "Ben Myers" <benjmyers@mindREMOVEspring.com> wrote in message
    > See "Option 2" on the following page.
    >
    > http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/techpubs/customer_advisories/DB010327_CW01_2.html
    >
    > Ben
    >
    > "Damian Waics"
    > <faku@speedy.remove.this.and.the.-spam-.at.the.end.com.ar-spam-> wrote in
    > message news:Okc#IFsiEHA.1644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >> Thanks for helping ^^
    >> No, I can't start the system =\
    >> The version I have is 4.00.950 B so it applies for the patch, the problem
    > is
    >> how do I install it?
    >> Thanks in advance :)
    >>
    >> "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message

    > wrote
    >> in
    > the

    > version

    >> don't
    > the

    >> > oops , right you said you can't start system...not even safe mode to
    >> > try
    >> > patch? (won't hurt to try it , it will either work or not :> )

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    wrote:

    >finally can run Win95, thank you very much! =D
    >now my question is: how do I install "updates" or whatever I can? =S
    >it has IE 3.01 and old things like that... where can I download Internet
    >Explorer 5 that, as I know, it's the last version supported by Win95?

    The latest version of IE that will run under Win95 is IE5.5SP2. It can
    be had here: http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit

    You can also run the latest versions of Mozilla and Mozilla Firefox
    (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/), which are more up to date
    and more standards-compliant than IE.

    --
    Tim Slattery