Technical Q re hardware

Is MSFS a single process or are multiple processes working together to
produce what we get?

The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of upgrading my machine and
(seeing as when I'm not running MSFS I'm running Linux) I'm thinking of
getting a multi-processor mother-board. If FS runs as a single process
it's not going to be worthwhile so I won't bother however if several
processes run then it'll be worth it - may be worth it anyway, OS runs
on one processor and FS gets the other to itself.

Thanks for any comments on this.

BTW, I'm still running FS2000 (been away from sims for a while) but will
upgrade when I get new hardware. (Oh, and I know I need XP Pro for SMP,
I've got two processors in current set up but it's v.old).

Justin.

--
Justin C by the sea.

GREGORY

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 13:32:11 -0000, Justin C
<justin.0504@purestblue.com> brought the following to our attention:

>Is MSFS a single process or are multiple processes working together to
>produce what we get?
>
>The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of upgrading my machine and
>(seeing as when I'm not running MSFS I'm running Linux) I'm thinking of
>getting a multi-processor mother-board. If FS runs as a single process
>it's not going to be worthwhile so I won't bother however if several
>processes run then it'll be worth it - may be worth it anyway, OS runs
>on one processor and FS gets the other to itself.
>
>Thanks for any comments on this.
>
>BTW, I'm still running FS2000 (been away from sims for a while) but will
>upgrade when I get new hardware. (Oh, and I know I need XP Pro for SMP,
>I've got two processors in current set up but it's v.old).
>
> Justin.

I have a dual CPU machine running FS2002 and seem to recall with Perf
Mon running each CPU is about 55-65% usage. The box has left over
clock tics to run other apps while Sim is operating. Next flight, will
take a screen cap of the dual CPU usage graphs in Perf Mon and post.

Although expensive.. a dual 3GHz PC would be grand!! Don't think
you'll see much extra performance in FS however. Can be robust for
multitasking like cranking up big zips while doing normal work.. or
running multiple batch conversions in PSP7 and still browsing.

The worst part is.. since you spend so much.. won't want to buy a new
platform.. and you'll likely stick with the slower CPUs longer.

-Gregory

Well you might get some benefit from running the OS on one cpu and FS on the other. However MS is not a multi processor
app like say MS SQL is. MSFS was not written for multiprocessor to answer your question directly.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.