not enough memory

I was recently given an old Toshiba laptop which has win98
on it and only 8megs of memory and is not upgradeable.
When I first got it, it booted up fine. Now that I have
played with it when I try to boot it I get a message
telling me I do not have enough memory. I restart and can
only bring it up in Safe Mode. I created a set of system
disk,(31 disk it does not have CD) and reloaded win95 and
I get the same thing. I have checked to see how much mem
the system recognizes and it is 8 megs. I read somewhere
that you can add a line to your config.sys file or
autoexec.bat, I don't remember which, that will allocate a
portion of the hard drive to memory. I hope someone else
has heard of this because I wrote the string down but now
that I could acually use it I can't find it. What I was
thinking was allocate memory to get it up and running then
add an external drive and allocate additional memory. Tell
me I'm not crazy!!!!!
2 answers Last reply
More about memory

    Windows 95/98 uses the HDD as RAM in its Virtual Memory
    swap file under the Performance tab of the Device Manager,
    which you can access by right-clicking My Computer =>
    Properties.

    Make sure that the setting allows Windows to manage the
    Virtual Memory.

    Also make sure that the hard drive has plenty of space for
    Windows to work with - at least 200MB. You can use
    Add/remove Programs to free up memory.

    Also set the Recycle Bin and Internet Options caches to
    smaller amounts. You don't need more than about 20MB for
    Temporary Internet Files and 4% for the Recycle Bin. Right-
    click the RB icon and click properties to set the cache.

    Eric,
    http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/
    http://www.sharedbirthday.co.uk/

    Very often the 'not enough memory' error means that there is insufficient
    disk space. Check how much free disk space is left on the machine, and try
    to delete stuff you aren't using. Also check that you haven't placed a limit
    on swap file size (Start / Settings / Control panel / System / Performance /
    Virtual memory).
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "Loren Shell" <lorenshell@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >I was recently given an old Toshiba laptop which has win98
    > on it and only 8megs of memory and is not upgradeable.
    > When I first got it, it booted up fine. Now that I have
    > played with it when I try to boot it I get a message
    > telling me I do not have enough memory. I restart and can
    > only bring it up in Safe Mode. I created a set of system
    > disk,(31 disk it does not have CD) and reloaded win95 and
    > I get the same thing. I have checked to see how much mem
    > the system recognizes and it is 8 megs. I read somewhere
    > that you can add a line to your config.sys file or
    > autoexec.bat, I don't remember which, that will allocate a
    > portion of the hard drive to memory. I hope someone else
    > has heard of this because I wrote the string down but now
    > that I could acually use it I can't find it. What I was
    > thinking was allocate memory to get it up and running then
    > add an external drive and allocate additional memory. Tell
    > me I'm not crazy!!!!!

Microsoft Memory Windows