3Com network adapter

I have a dual boot with XP and 95. My network Card was made and installed
after 95 so it doesn't have it in it's list of adapters. I used XP to find
out what the adapter is and downloaded and installed it on 95. buut whenever
I start 95 it says that adapter is not working properly or drivers are
missing. It works fine on XP. What should I do?
4 answers Last reply
More about 3com network adapter

    Did you download and install Windows 95 drivers, from the manufacturer's web site?
    Tell us the name and model number of the Network card, and give us the link you used
    to get the drivers.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Patrick" <Patrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a dual boot with XP and 95. My network Card was made and installed
    > after 95 so it doesn't have it in it's list of adapters. I used XP to find
    > out what the adapter is and downloaded and installed it on 95. buut whenever
    > I start 95 it says that adapter is not working properly or drivers are
    > missing. It works fine on XP. What should I do?

    I don't know the model Number but it's a 3Com 3C918 Integrated Fast Ethernet
    Controller (3C905B-TX Compatible)
    I downloaded it from www. drivermagic.com
    Can you help me I have been trying for weeks to get this to work?

    "glee" wrote:

    > Did you download and install Windows 95 drivers, from the manufacturer's web site?
    > Tell us the name and model number of the Network card, and give us the link you used
    > to get the drivers.
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > "Patrick" <Patrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have a dual boot with XP and 95. My network Card was made and installed
    > > after 95 so it doesn't have it in it's list of adapters. I used XP to find
    > > out what the adapter is and downloaded and installed it on 95. buut whenever
    > > I start 95 it says that adapter is not working properly or drivers are
    > > missing. It works fine on XP. What should I do?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    that is what 95 says all the drives for it haven't been loaded.

    "Patrick" wrote:

    > I don't know the model Number but it's a 3Com 3C918 Integrated Fast Ethernet
    > Controller (3C905B-TX Compatible)
    > I downloaded it from www. drivermagic.com
    > Can you help me I have been trying for weeks to get this to work?
    >
    > "glee" wrote:
    >
    > > Did you download and install Windows 95 drivers, from the manufacturer's web site?
    > > Tell us the name and model number of the Network card, and give us the link you used
    > > to get the drivers.
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >
    > > "Patrick" <Patrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have a dual boot with XP and 95. My network Card was made and installed
    > > > after 95 so it doesn't have it in it's list of adapters. I used XP to find
    > > > out what the adapter is and downloaded and installed it on 95. buut whenever
    > > > I start 95 it says that adapter is not working properly or drivers are
    > > > missing. It works fine on XP. What should I do?

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Look in Device Manager under the Network Adapters category.
    Does it show the NIC as "3Com 3C918 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905B-TX
    Compatible)" or "3Com EtherLink 10/100 PCI TX NIC (3C905B-TX)", or as something
    else?

    Does Device Manager show the NIC with a problem? Are there any devices listed in
    the "Other" category in Device Manager? When you installed the NIC and booted to
    Win98, the system must have detected the NIC....what did the NIC identify itself as,
    in that "new hardware detected" box?

    What procedure did you use to install the drivers in Win98, from the .zip file you
    downloaded?

    Assuming you have the right drivers downloaded, unzip them to a folder on your hard
    drive, then remove the NIC from Device Manager, and restart in Safe Mode.

    Open Device Manager in Safe Mode, remove all instances of any NIC and all items in
    the "Other" category.

    Restart in normal mode. Windows will detect the NIC....note what it identifies
    itself as, by name. Point the installer to the folder where you unzipped the driver
    files, and let it install the NIC again.
    --

    > I don't know the model Number but it's a 3Com 3C918 Integrated Fast Ethernet
    > Controller (3C905B-TX Compatible)
    > I downloaded it from www. drivermagic.com
    > Can you help me I have been trying for weeks to get this to work?
    >
    > "glee" wrote:
    >
    > > Did you download and install Windows 95 drivers, from the manufacturer's web
    site?
    > > Tell us the name and model number of the Network card, and give us the link you
    used
    > > to get the drivers.
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >
    > > "Patrick" <Patrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have a dual boot with XP and 95. My network Card was made and installed
    > > > after 95 so it doesn't have it in it's list of adapters. I used XP to find
    > > > out what the adapter is and downloaded and installed it on 95. buut whenever
    > > > I start 95 it says that adapter is not working properly or drivers are
    > > > missing. It works fine on XP. What should I do?

3Com Dual Boot Microsoft Windows XP Windows