Nearly full hard drive

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
August 31, 2004 2:29:50 AM

A near neighbour of mine is running Win95. She only uses it for its
wordprocessor (Word) and for e-mails. She has perhaps 30 photos but only
about 80kb each. There are hardly any programs loaded. She rarely uses the
internet.

Yet her 1GB disc only has about 10MB free space.

Does Win95 itself take up this much space? How do I go about finding out
what is filling her hard drive?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks, Mike

More about : full hard drive

August 31, 2004 2:29:51 AM

> Thanks for your reply. I will of course try that. However, as she uses
> the
> computer so very little and has almost zero use of the internet, it's hard
> to see how so much HD memory has been used. Can perhaps large chucks of HD
> memory be allocated to some application that then is treated as
> "unavailable" irrespective of actual use?
>
> Is there some simple way I can observe where the HD actually usage is?
>
> Is there some way I can easily clear any rubbish?

actually...it may not be a bad idea to run scan disk first
just incase there may have been drive errors

then just do a simple
start...find files
leave the field blank and it will list all files
then sort by size...and you will see what's taking up the most space
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 4:31:23 AM

"philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message

> > Thanks for your reply. I will of course try that. However, as she uses
> > the
> > computer so very little and has almost zero use of the internet, it's
hard
> > to see how so much HD memory has been used. Can perhaps large chucks of
HD
> > memory be allocated to some application that then is treated as
> > "unavailable" irrespective of actual use?
> >
> > Is there some simple way I can observe where the HD actually usage is?
> >
> > Is there some way I can easily clear any rubbish?
> >

> actually...it may not be a bad idea to run scan disk first
> just incase there may have been drive errors
>

> then just do a simple
> start...find files
> leave the field blank and it will list all files
> then sort by size...and you will see what's taking up the most space

Thanks philo,

Precisely the sort of advice I need. Hopefully, will try it tomorrow. Then
get back with the outcome.

Mike
September 3, 2004 9:18:07 AM

Look on a site such as http://www.majorgeeks.com/ for free
system cleaners.

She should consider buying and installing a new hard drive.

Excelstor drives have a large capacity, are very nicely
priced, and are made in China.

Excelstor Hard Disk Drives: Google Search:

http://tinyurl.com/5a3ku

See this page on how to fit them in a PC. It's not
difficult:

http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Build3.htm

Eric,
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/