XP SP 2: Is it worth it?

I'm seeing lots of complaints about SP 2. Is it worth getting? I have what I
think is a standard system set up (XP home, IE, etc. - nothing that's listed
on MS Update's list of troublesome programs.) What are the chances that SP
will cause problems? Is it worth updating?

Tim

More about worth

    Here's one post which specifies some suggestions on XP SP2.
    http://communities2.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support&mid=4fd6a163-9702-4ec0-950e-df03895096cf&sloc=en-us

    Here are few links which are suggesting Why SP2
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2top.mspx
    http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/259
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Microsoft_Windows_XP_SP2/4505-3672_7-30992199-2.html

    "Tim" wrote:

    > I'm seeing lots of complaints about SP 2. Is it worth getting? I have what I
    > think is a standard system set up (XP home, IE, etc. - nothing that's listed
    > on MS Update's list of troublesome programs.) What are the chances that SP
    > will cause problems? Is it worth updating?
    >
    > Tim

    You have to keep in mind that only the people that are having problems post
    complaints. Those that have no trouble at all with it don't post anything;
    no praise posts. I'd wager that there are a LOT more people that have no
    trouble than those who do. Personally I have installed it on several other
    computers besides my own and I've had no problems with it at all. In any
    case I think the benefits far outweigh any little inconveniences (most of
    which will probably be patched before long anyway). That's my opinion
    anyway. :)

    "Tim" <hwy375@bigred.unl.edu> wrote in message
    > I'm seeing lots of complaints about SP 2. Is it worth getting? I have what
    > think is a standard system set up (XP home, IE, etc. - nothing that's
    > listed
    > on MS Update's list of troublesome programs.) What are the chances that SP
    > will cause problems? Is it worth updating?
    >
    > Tim

    Tim--

    Things are a lot more stable than some of these reports would indicate.
    The caveat that people who are having little or no problem don't post is
    well worth considering. Its definitely worth updating, because it contains a
    lot of fixes since SP1. There is also an excellent change that it's the last
    major change to XP and last major Service Pack until Longhorn releases.
    There may or may not be another SP and there may or may not be an XP
    Reloaded. The ladies and gentleman from Microsoft are a lot better readers
    of tea leaves than I am in that area.

    If you are having a problem with a 3rd party app, go to their site and see
    what the say. It's running in 3 categories--most are compatible by far;
    some have patches for SP2 compatibility; and for somejust adding the port
    to the firewall exceptions tab is the issue (for example Raxco Perfect Disk
    which has a batch file that automatically does this). A few have chosen to
    do nothing and say nothing and that's unfortunate and hardly MSFT's
    responsibility.

    People I know well who have installed it--not a multicentered trial, but
    average and advanced users who are willing to go to a 3rd party site if they
    have a problem or search engine for an answer are having little or no
    problem. Many of them went after it the day the public beta was released
    in early June and have been using it with little or no problem since then
    (RC2).

    I have had next to no problems with it and I'd definitely install it.
    Having read much of what's written about it , and used different builds for
    months, I find it very stable.

    Top 10 Reasons to Install SP2
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2top.mspx

    A Little More SP2 Info and Slipstream Directions for SP2
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/

    Changes to Functionality in SP2
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2chngs.mspx

    List of Fixes in SP2
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;811113

    Release Notes For SP2
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=835935&product=windowsxpsp2

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/technologiesoverview.mspx

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0204.mspx

    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/newsroom/winxp/windowsxpspfs.asp

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp2

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242&product=windowsxpsp2

    Best,

    Chad Harris
    _____________________________

    "Tim" <hwy375@bigred.unl.edu> wrote in message
    I'm seeing lots of complaints about SP 2. Is it worth getting? I have what I
    think is a standard system set up (XP home, IE, etc. - nothing that's listed
    on MS Update's list of troublesome programs.) What are the chances that SP
    will cause problems? Is it worth updating?

    Tim

    Few MVPs has put togather FAQ's and Knowledge Base list for XP SP2:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm
    http://jmfmvps.mvps.org/SP2.htm
    http://bink.nu/files/SP2KBs.htm

    Programs that seem to stop working
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242&product=windowsxpsp2

    Programs that are known to behave differently

    "Chad Harris" wrote:

> [...]
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/technologiesoverview.mspx
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0204.mspx
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/newsroom/winxp/windowsxpspfs.asp
    >

    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp2
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242&product=windowsxpsp2
    >
    > Best,
    >
    > Chad Harris
    > _____________________________
    >
    > "Tim" <hwy375@bigred.unl.edu> wrote in message
    > I'm seeing lots of complaints about SP 2. Is it worth getting? I have what I
    > think is a standard system set up (XP home, IE, etc. - nothing that's listed
    > on MS Update's list of troublesome programs.) What are the chances that SP
    > will cause problems? Is it worth updating?

    There are some programs that will not work without either tweaking or
    patches.. there are some functions that may or may not work without tweaking
    or reinstalling.. most will not adversely affect the average home user..
    other than that, SP2 works ok.. many problems come from those who expect SP2
    to fix existing problems that they may have..

    "Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    multicentered trial, but
    | average and advanced users who are willing to go to a 3rd
    party site if they
    | have a problem or search engine for an answer are having
    little or no
    | problem. Many of them went after it the day the public beta
    was released
    | in early June and have been using it with little or no
    problem since then
    | (RC2).
    |
    | I have had next to no problems with it and I'd definitely
    install it.
    | Having read much of what's written about it , and used
    different builds for
    | months, I find it very stable.
    |
    | Top 10 Reasons to Install SP2

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2top.mspx

    | A Little More SP2 Info and Slipstream Directions for SP2

    Chad: I agree with you that a lot of people who aren't having
    problems with SP2 are not posting, but there are a quite a lot
    who are. I'm one of those posters who has mentioned several
    times that I had No trouble with the download or install, but
    I got it from the MS download site not Auto Update.

    I've had no problems with any programs, didn't loose any
    files, and had no trouble setting it up with my existing
    NAV/NIS 2003, existing pop-up blocker, and firewall. There is
    a minor thing that Symantec is working on and that is Security
    Center can see I have an antivirus program (NAV) but "status
    is unknown". This doesn't present a problem for me since I
    update my antiviral daily so I don't need to know the status.

    To prepare my computer for download, I did follow most of
    Jupiter Jones MVP recomendations at

    I too wish more people, who have had successful results would
    post, but if you look around especially in MS Windows Update
    Newsgroup you'll find quite a lot over the last 2 weeks.

    I do have a concern with SP2 but I don't considered it a
    problem and have yet to get a answer from someone who really
    knows the answer, and that is when the Windows firewall is
    turned off, why does it show it running in "task manager" and
    "msconfig/services". I just want to make sure it really is
    off, not on and I have rec'd some good input from several
    posters, but none from anyone who knows for sure why this
    programs runs in these two places even when it's turned off.
    My only concern is that it doesn't interfere with NIS
    firewall. If you know anything about this let me know,
    because it doesn't seem like disabling Windows firewall in
    services.msc is the answer, but who knows, it only seems to
    make the Firewall settings unaccessable once you do this.

    Pam

    | _____________________________
    |
    | "Tim" <hwy375@bigred.unl.edu> wrote in message
    | I'm seeing lots of complaints about SP 2. Is it worth
    getting? I have what I
    | think is a standard system set up (XP home, IE, etc. -
    nothing that's listed
    | on MS Update's list of troublesome programs.) What are the
    chances that SP
    | will cause problems? Is it worth updating?
    |
    | Tim
    |
    | --

    I'll also add that I have installed SP2 on all 4 of my computers, and each
    install went flawlessly and I have no issues on any of the computers. I
    have Norton Antivirus Pro installed on each machine, and ran LiveUpdate on
    each after SP2 to make it compatible with SP2. That is the extent of what I
    had to do to make SP2 happy on each of my machines. Very painless. I
    believe that those who are having problems with SP2 are those who had
    underlying problems BEFORE installing SP2. These are the folks who most
    likely never update their drivers, update their BIOS and chipset drivers,
    etc. I just think it funny when I read some of the posts and the posters
    want to blame Microsoft for it all.

    Bobby

    "Pam" <phfloresatverizondotnet> wrote in message

> [...]
    > posters, but none from anyone who knows for sure why this
    > programs runs in these two places even when it's turned off.
    > My only concern is that it doesn't interfere with NIS
    > firewall. If you know anything about this let me know,
    > because it doesn't seem like disabling Windows firewall in
    > services.msc is the answer, but who knows, it only seems to
    > make the Firewall settings unaccessable once you do this.
    >
    > Pam
    >

    > | _____________________________
    > |
    > | "Tim" <hwy375@bigred.unl.edu> wrote in message
    > | I'm seeing lots of complaints about SP 2. Is it worth
    > getting? I have what I
    > | think is a standard system set up (XP home, IE, etc. -
    > nothing that's listed
    > | on MS Update's list of troublesome programs.) What are the
    > chances that SP
    > | will cause problems? Is it worth updating?

    yea... of course people who don't hav any trouble don't post it... but
    people who have (and there are many whatever u say) get their computer
    screwed up, when it can be absolutely necessary for them to use it (for work
    for example, which is my case). so, comparing the number of people who do
    have trouble and people who don't have is NOT a good way of putting the
    issue. the thing is, when a company like microsoft comes with a new SP, it
    HAS to work for everybody.

    "Pam" <phfloresatverizondotnet> a écrit dans le message de

> [...]
    > posters, but none from anyone who knows for sure why this
    > programs runs in these two places even when it's turned off.
    > My only concern is that it doesn't interfere with NIS
    > firewall. If you know anything about this let me know,
    > because it doesn't seem like disabling Windows firewall in
    > services.msc is the answer, but who knows, it only seems to
    > make the Firewall settings unaccessable once you do this.
    >
    > Pam
    >

    > | _____________________________
    > |
    > | "Tim" <hwy375@bigred.unl.edu> wrote in message
    > | I'm seeing lots of complaints about SP 2. Is it worth
    > getting? I have what I
    > | think is a standard system set up (XP home, IE, etc. -
    > nothing that's listed
    > | on MS Update's list of troublesome programs.) What are the
    > chances that SP
    > | will cause problems? Is it worth updating?

    I challenge you, David, to write nearly 5 million lines of code (which is
    what SP2 updates) and have it execute on every machine in the world without
    a problem. You cannot do it. No one can do it. Why would you expect that
    it would, when the majority of people do not perform even basic level
    maintenance on their computers?

    You cannot blame it on MS if you have issues on your computer. If you have
    driver conflicts, version conflicts for installed .dll's, or a "flaky"
    install of windows to begin with, you can expect more problems with a major
    upgrade like SP2.

    Bobby

    "David Terme" <terme0@free.fr> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> posters, but none from anyone who knows for sure why this
    >> programs runs in these two places even when it's turned off.
    >> My only concern is that it doesn't interfere with NIS
    >> firewall. If you know anything about this let me know,
    >> because it doesn't seem like disabling Windows firewall in
    >> services.msc is the answer, but who knows, it only seems to
    >> make the Firewall settings unaccessable once you do this.
    >>
    >> Pam
    >>

    >> | _____________________________
    >> |
    >> | "Tim" <hwy375@bigred.unl.edu> wrote in message
    >> | I'm seeing lots of complaints about SP 2. Is it worth
    >> getting? I have what I
    >> | think is a standard system set up (XP home, IE, etc. -
    >> nothing that's listed
    >> | on MS Update's list of troublesome programs.) What are the
    >> chances that SP
    >> | will cause problems? Is it worth updating?

    maybe u should ask those people before saying it's their own fault...and
    even if that is true, why should people have to get their computer
    permanently updated to be able to install SP2 ?? some people just don't have
    time to keep their drivers / firmware updated because it simply is neither
    their job nor their leisure.

    "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> a écrit dans le message de
> [...]
    > > posters, but none from anyone who knows for sure why this
    > > programs runs in these two places even when it's turned off.
    > > My only concern is that it doesn't interfere with NIS
    > > firewall. If you know anything about this let me know,
    > > because it doesn't seem like disabling Windows firewall in
    > > services.msc is the answer, but who knows, it only seems to
    > > make the Firewall settings unaccessable once you do this.
    > >
    > > Pam
    > >

    > > | _____________________________
    > > |
    > > | "Tim" <hwy375@bigred.unl.edu> wrote in message
    > > | I'm seeing lots of complaints about SP 2. Is it worth
    > > getting? I have what I
    > > | think is a standard system set up (XP home, IE, etc. -
    > > nothing that's listed
    > > | on MS Update's list of troublesome programs.) What are the
    > > chances that SP
    > > | will cause problems? Is it worth updating?

    Then they shouldn't have time to install SP2 either. Your logic is flawed.
    Laziness is not an excuse for not keeping a computer maintained. If most
    people maintained their cars the way they maintained their computers, then
    there would be one hell of a lot less cars on the road.

    Just stop whining and realize that you are not special. SP2 did not
    integrated well for you. I am sorry that it didn't but if you put as much
    energy into keeping your system "clean" as you do whining, you would not
    have a problem.

> [...]
    >> > post, but if you look around especially in MS Windows Update
    >> > Newsgroup you'll find quite a lot over the last 2 weeks.
    >> >
    >> > I do have a concern with SP2 but I don't considered it a
    >> > problem and have yet to get a answer from someone who really
    >> > knows the answer, and that is when the Windows firewall is
    >> > turned off, why does it show it running in "task manager" and
    >> > "msconfig/services". I just want to make sure it really is
    >> > off, not on and I have rec'd some good input from several
    >> > posters, but none from anyone who knows for sure why this
    >> > programs runs in these two places even when it's turned off.
    >> > My only concern is that it doesn't interfere with NIS
    >> > firewall. If you know anything about this let me know,
    >> > because it doesn't seem like disabling Windows firewall in
    >> > services.msc is the answer, but who knows, it only seems to
    >> > make the Firewall settings unaccessable once you do this.

    I have to agree with you on this, it would be an impossible task to know
    what every configuration there is out there. I installed yesterday with no
    problems and so far nothing appears to be broken but of course haven't had
    chance to try out all my apps.
    Joan

    NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    > I challenge you, David, to write nearly 5 million lines of code
    > (which is what SP2 updates) and have it execute on every machine in
    > the world without a problem. You cannot do it. No one can do it. Why
    > would you expect that it would, when the majority of people do
    > not perform even basic level maintenance on their computers?
    >
    > You cannot blame it on MS if you have issues on your computer. If
    > you have driver conflicts, version conflicts for installed .dll's, or
    > a "flaky" install of windows to begin with, you can expect more
    > problems with a major upgrade like SP2.
    >
    > Bobby

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:49:47 -1000, "NoNoBadDog!"
    <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote:

    >I'll also add that I have installed SP2 on all 4 of my computers, and each
    >install went flawlessly and I have no issues on any of the computers. I
    >have Norton Antivirus Pro installed on each machine, and ran LiveUpdate on
    >each after SP2 to make it compatible with SP2. That is the extent of what I
    >had to do to make SP2 happy on each of my machines. Very painless. I
    >believe that those who are having problems with SP2 are those who had
    >underlying problems BEFORE installing SP2. These are the folks who most
    >likely never update their drivers, update their BIOS and chipset drivers,
    >etc. I just think it funny when I read some of the posts and the posters
    >want to blame Microsoft for it all.

    We've installed SP2 from a download on two Dell PCs, without having
    any problems. We've done all the MS updates in the 2 years we have
    owned the PCs. We've never updated drivers, bios or chip sets.
    --
    Martin

    "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
    > I'll also add that I have installed SP2 on all 4 of my computers,
    and each
    > install went flawlessly and I have no issues on any of the
    computers. I
    > have Norton Antivirus Pro installed on each machine, and ran
    LiveUpdate on
    > each after SP2 to make it compatible with SP2. That is the extent
    of what I
    > had to do to make SP2 happy on each of my machines. Very painless.
    > believe that those who are having problems with SP2 are those who
    had
    > underlying problems BEFORE installing SP2. These are the folks who
    most
    > likely never update their drivers, update their BIOS and chipset
    drivers,
    > etc. I just think it funny when I read some of the posts and the
    posters
    > want to blame Microsoft for it all.

    A BIOS update should not be a prerequisite to install any OS service
    pack. "Common" users don't even know how to update a BIOS, let alone
    even know what it is or that it can be updated.

    i must admit i can't really see the flaw in my logic; u know as well as me
    that is far more difficult to keep all hardware components of a computer up
    to date than to click on "windows update". many people don't even know what
    are their hardware specifications or what is a driver (i don't even speak of
    firmware), when maintaining hardware up to date implies to know exactly the
    brand and type of the components and to have time to look (regularly) on
    each constructor's site if an update is available.
    > Then they shouldn't have time to install SP2 either. Your logic is
    flawed.
    > Laziness is not an excuse for not keeping a computer maintained. If most
    > people maintained their cars the way they maintained their computers, then
    > there would be one hell of a lot less cars on the road.
    >
    > Just stop whining and realize that you are not special. SP2 did not
    > integrated well for you. I am sorry that it didn't but if you put as much
    > energy into keeping your system "clean" as you do whining, you would not
    > have a problem.
    >
    > Bobby
    >
    > "David Terme" <terme0@free.fr> wrote in message
    > > maybe u should ask those people before saying it's their own fault...and
    > > even if that is true, why should people have to get their computer
    > > permanently updated to be able to install SP2 ?? some people just don't
    > > have
    > > time to keep their drivers / firmware updated because it simply is
    neither
    > > their job nor their leisure.
    > >

    > > "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> a écrit dans le message de
    > >> I'll also add that I have installed SP2 on all 4 of my computers, and
    > >> each
    > >> install went flawlessly and I have no issues on any of the computers.
    > >> have Norton Antivirus Pro installed on each machine, and ran LiveUpdate
    > >> on
    > >> each after SP2 to make it compatible with SP2. That is the extent of
    > >> what
    > >> had to do to make SP2 happy on each of my machines. Very painless. I
    > >> believe that those who are having problems with SP2 are those who had
    > >> underlying problems BEFORE installing SP2. These are the folks who
    most
    > >> likely never update their drivers, update their BIOS and chipset
    drivers,
    > >> etc. I just think it funny when I read some of the posts and the
    posters
    > >> want to blame Microsoft for it all.
    > >>
    > >> Bobby
    > >>
    > >> "Pam" <phfloresatverizondotnet> wrote in message

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2top.mspx

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2chngs.mspx

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=835935&product=windowsxpsp2

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0204.mspx

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp2

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242&product=windowsxpsp2

    did i ever pretend to ba able to do it ? and have i to be able to do it to
    criticize ? when you go to the cinema, do you refuse to criticize the movie
    just because you would be unable to do the same ?
    and, i on't have thousands of people working on it right now.
    finally, i must admit i can't see the use of certificating most hardware
    drivers fully compatible with windows if it can't help SP compatibility.

> [...]
    > >> post, but if you look around especially in MS Windows Update
    > >> Newsgroup you'll find quite a lot over the last 2 weeks.
    > >>
    > >> I do have a concern with SP2 but I don't considered it a
    > >> problem and have yet to get a answer from someone who really
    > >> knows the answer, and that is when the Windows firewall is
    > >> turned off, why does it show it running in "task manager" and
    > >> "msconfig/services". I just want to make sure it really is
    > >> off, not on and I have rec'd some good input from several
    > >> posters, but none from anyone who knows for sure why this
    > >> programs runs in these two places even when it's turned off.
    > >> My only concern is that it doesn't interfere with NIS
    > >> firewall. If you know anything about this let me know,
    > >> because it doesn't seem like disabling Windows firewall in
    > >> services.msc is the answer, but who knows, it only seems to
    > >> make the Firewall settings unaccessable once you do this.

    I see literacy isn't your strong point either :-).

    > did i ever pretend to ba able to do it ? and have i to be able to do it to
    > criticize ? when you go to the cinema, do you refuse to criticize the
    > movie
    > just because you would be unable to do the same ?
    > and, i on't have thousands of people working on it right now.
    > finally, i must admit i can't see the use of certificating most hardware
    > drivers fully compatible with windows if it can't help SP compatibility.
    >

    > "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> a écrit dans le message de
    >> I challenge you, David, to write nearly 5 million lines of code (which is
    >> what SP2 updates) and have it execute on every machine in the world
    > without
    >> a problem. You cannot do it. No one can do it. Why would you expect
    > that
    >> it would, when the majority of people do not perform even basic level
    >> maintenance on their computers?
    >>
    >> You cannot blame it on MS if you have issues on your computer. If you
    > have
    >> driver conflicts, version conflicts for installed .dll's, or a "flaky"
    >> install of windows to begin with, you can expect more problems with a
    > major
    >> upgrade like SP2.
    >>
    >> Bobby
    >>
    >> "David Terme" <terme0@free.fr> wrote in message
    >> > yea... of course people who don't hav any trouble don't post it... but
    >> > people who have (and there are many whatever u say) get their computer
    >> > screwed up, when it can be absolutely necessary for them to use it (for
    >> > work
    >> > for example, which is my case). so, comparing the number of people who
    > do
    >> > have trouble and people who don't have is NOT a good way of putting the
    >> > issue. the thing is, when a company like microsoft comes with a new
    >> > SP,
    >> > it
    >> > HAS to work for everybody.
    >> >

    >> > "Pam" <phfloresatverizondotnet> a écrit dans le message de

    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2top.mspx

    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2chngs.mspx

    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=835935&product=windowsxpsp2
    >> >> |

    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx

    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp2
    >> >> |

    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242&product=windowsxpsp2

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 11:51:02 -0400, "Peter A. Stavrakoglou"
    <ntotrr@optonline.net> wrote:

    >A BIOS update should not be a prerequisite to install any OS service
    >pack. "Common" users don't even know how to update a BIOS, let alone
    >even know what it is or that it can be updated.

    A BIOS update is not a prerequisite to install WinXP SP2.
    --
    Martin
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "Martin" <martinp@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 11:51:02 -0400, "Peter A. Stavrakoglou"
    > <ntotrr@optonline.net> wrote:
    >
    > >A BIOS update should not be a prerequisite to install any OS
    service
    > >pack. "Common" users don't even know how to update a BIOS, let
    alone
    > >even know what it is or that it can be updated.
    > >

    > A BIOS update is not a prerequisite to install WinXP SP2.

    I know it isn't. The post I replied to noted that as one of the
    updates that a system should have. That is not true, a BIOS should
    not, as a rule of thumb, be updated unless there is a problem.
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:40:57 -0400, "Peter A. Stavrakoglou"
    <ntotrr@optonline.net> wrote:

    >"Martin" <martinp@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 11:51:02 -0400, "Peter A. Stavrakoglou"
    >> <ntotrr@optonline.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> >A BIOS update should not be a prerequisite to install any OS
    >service
    >> >pack. "Common" users don't even know how to update a BIOS, let
    >alone
    >> >even know what it is or that it can be updated.
    >> >

    >> A BIOS update is not a prerequisite to install WinXP SP2.
    >
    >I know it isn't. The post I replied to noted that as one of the
    >updates that a system should have. That is not true, a BIOS should
    >not, as a rule of thumb, be updated unless there is a problem.

    I was agreeing with you :-)
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "me" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:40:57 -0400, "Peter A. Stavrakoglou"
    > <ntotrr@optonline.net> wrote:
    >
    > >"Martin" <martinp@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message

    > >service
    > >alone
    > >> >

    > >> A BIOS update is not a prerequisite to install WinXP SP2.
    > >
    > >I know it isn't. The post I replied to noted that as one of the
    > >updates that a system should have. That is not true, a BIOS should
    > >not, as a rule of thumb, be updated unless there is a problem.
    >
    > I was agreeing with you :-)

    I knew that too :)
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Pam--

    I think I have seen in the notes or a KB on firewall an explanation as to
    why it is still on in the background and shows up at TM and msconfig. I
    agree it should be off when you turn it off from the control panel applet,
    but here's the answer to your problem. *Turn the firewall off at services*.
    It is always the definitive way to turn something listed there off.

    Put "services.msc" in the run box and scroll down to the Windows Firewall
    entry--see the definition at Properties Pam, and turn it off and then it
    won't be interfering with the running of your Norton Personal Firewall as
    part of NIS. Agreed, you should only run one software firewall. Running
    two or more can confuse all of them.

> [...]

    posters, but none from anyone who knows for sure why this
    programs runs in these two places even when it's turned off.
    My only concern is that it doesn't interfere with NIS
    firewall. If you know anything about this let me know,
    because it doesn't seem like disabling Windows firewall in
    services.msc is the answer, but who knows, it only seems to
    make the Firewall settings unaccessable once you do this.

    Pam

    | _____________________________
    |
    | "Tim" <hwy375@bigred.unl.edu> wrote in message
    | I'm seeing lots of complaints about SP 2. Is it worth
    getting? I have what I
    | think is a standard system set up (XP home, IE, etc. -
    nothing that's listed
    | on MS Update's list of troublesome programs.) What are the
    chances that SP
    | will cause problems? Is it worth updating?

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    I agree with you, Peter, that common users don't know how to do many basic
    things. But I have noticed one difference in the advent of desk top
    computing and the internet over the years. If you don't know how to do
    something it's just a google or any other search engine away a whole hell of
    a lot of the time. It also isn't asking too much of them to use a search
    engine or to to to Start>Help and Support or put "helpctr" in the run box
    now that Help and Support links to articles including MSKBs that are
    relevant on MSFT's site.

    It used to be that someone would be stuck with an electronic device or a VCR
    and early on, the manuals weren't very readable, and the innovative
    companies, many Japanese didn't think to get a translator who could write
    instructions clearly. I still see the same thing happen with menus,
    dialogue boxes and a number of MSKBs that come out of the hands of Redmond
    developers at MSFT--not to mention leaving people with a somewhat
    complicated Office install setup glitch and only hex or Hungarian notation
    at good 'ole Event Viewer that's not going to help *them* get Office or
    watever installed on the street. Granted that's not what the hex is meant
    to do, but there isn't often an alternative for some install problems, and
    that includes all the MSKBs available to date.

    But, if someone mentions it might be a good thing to do to flash or update
    the bios, and you're sitting at a box that's on line, you have only to type
    in "How to Update the bios" in google and you come up with this

    http://tinyurl.com/7x6ml or type in "bios" and come up with
    http://tinyurl.com/6l3wq

    or throw the question up on a newsgroup and get help. I don't think it's
    asking too much of anyone who uses a computer to be willing to learn at some
    level.

    As innovative as software and hardware become, they are not going to do
    every little thing via self-maintainance and self-updating. MSFT is working
    on unifying their updating platforms even further, so that there are a
    couple main ones instead of the eight there used to be, and they are
    mulling whether to try to rope in a 3rd party software updating mechanism as
    well.

    Chad Harris

    "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <ntotrr@optonline.net> wrote in message
    "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
    > I'll also add that I have installed SP2 on all 4 of my computers,
    and each
    > install went flawlessly and I have no issues on any of the
    computers. I
    > have Norton Antivirus Pro installed on each machine, and ran
    LiveUpdate on
    > each after SP2 to make it compatible with SP2. That is the extent
    of what I
    > had to do to make SP2 happy on each of my machines. Very painless.
    > believe that those who are having problems with SP2 are those who
    had
    > underlying problems BEFORE installing SP2. These are the folks who
    most
    > likely never update their drivers, update their BIOS and chipset
    drivers,
    > etc. I just think it funny when I read some of the posts and the
    posters
    > want to blame Microsoft for it all.

    A BIOS update should not be a prerequisite to install any OS service
    pack. "Common" users don't even know how to update a BIOS, let alone
    even know what it is or that it can be updated.
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Chad;

    While I agree with you in principle, many people don't know how to use
    Google, or are too lazy to do so. Add to that the dependency that AOL users
    have on the terrible dummied down AOL interface, and you have many tens of
    thousands or hundreds of thousands who don't or won't use Google for even
    the easiest of things.
    There are frequent posts where posters blatantly state "I don't have the
    time" or "I am to lazy" to search.

    I often get flamed from this community because I respond to a post telling
    the OP how to find their answer instead of polishing up the old silver
    platter and handing the answer to them on the nice, shiny silver platter.

    I have a belief that laziness should not be tolerated.

    I agree with your post...today it is so ridiculously easy to find
    information. Yet many chose not to...they will spend hours arguing in these
    newsgroups instead of using a search engine.

    Many (not all) of the younger generation expects everything to be handed to
    them. They expect all answers to be easy. They don't want solutions that
    require effort or any mental processes on their part. They want their
    answers short, fast and easy. It is truly sad.

    Bobby

> [...]
    > LiveUpdate on
    >> each after SP2 to make it compatible with SP2. That is the extent
    > of what I
    >> had to do to make SP2 happy on each of my machines. Very painless.
    >> believe that those who are having problems with SP2 are those who
    > had
    >> underlying problems BEFORE installing SP2. These are the folks who
    > most
    >> likely never update their drivers, update their BIOS and chipset
    > drivers,
    >> etc. I just think it funny when I read some of the posts and the
    > posters
    >> want to blame Microsoft for it all.
    >
    > A BIOS update should not be a prerequisite to install any OS service
    > pack. "Common" users don't even know how to update a BIOS, let alone
    > even know what it is or that it can be updated.

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    David--

    And everybody should put a little effort forward to learn about it. That
    means they have to be willing to do a *little reading*--I know it's become a
    curse in the country where I live, and reading is way down as a passtime. I
    also live in a country where a highly significant percent of people age
    18-30 get their news from a show on a cable comedy channel.

    If Jon Stewart were to start a mini-Tech TV segment on his show, maybe a lot
    more people would know how to update their bios, and the cream of the U.S.'s
    college population might become as adept at keeping up their virus defs and
    firewall as they are at using E-Donkey and Kazaa Lite and its new
    incarnation to steal music before their schools pull the curtain down with
    firewalls that block the file shares.

    http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/03/02/apontv.stewarts.stature.ap/
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/03/01/entertainment/main603270.shtml

    MSFT has a ton of help on their site to orient you to SP2 or whatever
    service pack, OS, or Office version they come out with and people on these
    groups have posted a ton of links.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/default.mspx

    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/default.mspx

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/default.mspx

    You can lead the horseys to water, but some of them refuse to drink any of
    it and then bitch and whine later that they're thirsty. All you have to do
    is to be willing to type www.microsoft.com in your browser, and you can get
    to a plethora of SP2 How To's.

    I'm sure there is software and hardware that will read to you. But I don't
    know that we will have hardware and software anytime soon that will read to
    your hardware and software so that you don't have to do *anything* to
    maintain it.

    Chad Harris

> [...]

    > posters, but none from anyone who knows for sure why this
    > programs runs in these two places even when it's turned off.
    > My only concern is that it doesn't interfere with NIS
    > firewall. If you know anything about this let me know,
    > because it doesn't seem like disabling Windows firewall in
    > services.msc is the answer, but who knows, it only seems to
    > make the Firewall settings unaccessable once you do this.
    >
    > Pam
    >

    > | _____________________________
    > |
    > | "Tim" <hwy375@bigred.unl.edu> wrote in message
    > | I'm seeing lots of complaints about SP 2. Is it worth
    > getting? I have what I
    > | think is a standard system set up (XP home, IE, etc. -
    > nothing that's listed
    > | on MS Update's list of troublesome programs.) What are the
    > chances that SP
    > | will cause problems? Is it worth updating?

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Bobby--

    I enjoyed reading all your posts. I wholeheartedly agree with them. I look
    forward to many more.

    Chad Harris

> [...]

    > LiveUpdate on
    >> each after SP2 to make it compatible with SP2. That is the extent
    > of what I
    >> had to do to make SP2 happy on each of my machines. Very painless.
    >> believe that those who are having problems with SP2 are those who
    > had
    >> underlying problems BEFORE installing SP2. These are the folks who
    > most
    >> likely never update their drivers, update their BIOS and chipset
    > drivers,
    >> etc. I just think it funny when I read some of the posts and the
    > posters
    >> want to blame Microsoft for it all.
    >
    > A BIOS update should not be a prerequisite to install any OS service
    > pack. "Common" users don't even know how to update a BIOS, let alone
    > even know what it is or that it can be updated.

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Well said!

> [...]
    >> LiveUpdate on
    >>> each after SP2 to make it compatible with SP2. That is the extent
    >> of what I
    >>> had to do to make SP2 happy on each of my machines. Very painless.
    >>> believe that those who are having problems with SP2 are those who
    >> had
    >>> underlying problems BEFORE installing SP2. These are the folks who
    >> most
    >>> likely never update their drivers, update their BIOS and chipset
    >> drivers,
    >>> etc. I just think it funny when I read some of the posts and the
    >> posters
    >>> want to blame Microsoft for it all.
    >>
    >> A BIOS update should not be a prerequisite to install any OS service
    >> pack. "Common" users don't even know how to update a BIOS, let alone
    >> even know what it is or that it can be updated.

  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    | Pam--
    |
    | I think I have seen in the notes or a KB on firewall an
    explanation as to
    | why it is still on in the background and shows up at TM and
    msconfig. I
    | agree it should be off when you turn it off from the control
    panel applet,
    | but here's the answer to your problem. *Turn the firewall
    off at services*.
    | It is always the definitive way to turn something listed
    there off.

    | Put "services.msc" in the run box and scroll down to the
    Windows Firewall
    | entry--see the definition at Properties Pam, and turn it off
    and then it
    | won't be interfering with the running of your Norton
    Personal Firewall as
    | part of NIS. Agreed, you should only run one software
    firewall. Running
    | two or more can confuse all of them.

    Chad: Thanks for the info, I've had it turned off this way
    for a while now, but was waiting for some kind of verification
    that what I did was correct, so I'm going to take your word
    for it. I've looked for a KB article on turning Win Firewall
    off this way, but just can't find one after reading since the
    20th. All of the articles say to turn the firewall off thru
    Control Panel>Security Center>Firewall>Off. But like I
    mentioned, I found it running in msconfig, and task manager
    which seemed strange.

    I now have another concern, and since I turned the firewall
    off this way, it has turned itself back on, at some point,
    after being off in services msc since 8-25. It just happened
    today for the first time. Clueless as to how that could
    happen, but I noticed it when I was turning off Auto Update
    the same way (run>services msc) after booting for the first
    time today. Now I'm wondering how this could happen? Another
    poster mentioned to "disable" the firewall in services msc,
    and you said to turn it "off" just wondered what the
    difference is between the two options (off/disable).

    Thanks for the help,

    Pam

> [...]
    | posters, but none from anyone who knows for sure why this
    | programs runs in these two places even when it's turned off.
    | My only concern is that it doesn't interfere with NIS
    | firewall. If you know anything about this let me know,
    | because it doesn't seem like disabling Windows firewall in
    | services.msc is the answer, but who knows, it only seems to
    | make the Firewall settings unaccessable once you do this.
    |
    | Pam
    |

    || _____________________________
    || "Tim" <hwy375@bigred.unl.edu> wrote in message
    || I'm seeing lots of complaints about SP 2. Is it worth
    | getting? I have what I
    || think is a standard system set up (XP home, IE, etc. -
    | nothing that's listed
    || on MS Update's list of troublesome programs.) What are the
    | chances that SP
    || will cause problems? Is it worth updating?

  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
    > Chad;
    >
    > While I agree with you in principle, many people don't know how
    to use
    > Google, or are too lazy to do so. Add to that the dependency that
    AOL users
    > have on the terrible dummied down AOL interface, and you have many
    tens of
    > thousands or hundreds of thousands who don't or won't use Google for
    even
    > the easiest of things.
    > There are frequent posts where posters blatantly state "I don't have
    the
    > time" or "I am to lazy" to search.
    >
    > I often get flamed from this community because I respond to a post
    telling
    > the OP how to find their answer instead of polishing up the old
    silver
    > platter and handing the answer to them on the nice, shiny silver
    platter.

    > I have a belief that laziness should not be tolerated.
    >
    > I agree with your post...today it is so ridiculously easy to find
    > information. Yet many chose not to...they will spend hours arguing
    in these
    > newsgroups instead of using a search engine.
    >
    > Many (not all) of the younger generation expects everything to be
    handed to
    > them. They expect all answers to be easy. They don't want
    solutions that
    > require effort or any mental processes on their part. They want
    their
    > answers short, fast and easy. It is truly sad.
    >
    > Bobby

    So you would rather teach a man to fish than give him a fish to eat?
    That's a very sound philosophy. That's how I learned to build PCs. A
    very nice coworker would point me in a direction and then tell me to
    "go build". It worked.
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Pam--

    You aren't going to hurt yourself by shutting off the Windows Firewall
    (setting the service to "disable") if you have one with equal or more
    functionality running--and should run only one so there will not be a
    conflict or confusion between them. (I haven't seen a lot of detailed
    comparisons of software firewalls but Norton's any version should have more
    functionality than the Windows firewall. In services, if you right click
    the WF service and then left click properties, you'll see 3 selections. If
    you choose "disabled" (the last one) it should not start up. Manual has to
    be started by you manually, and automatic and started means that the service
    will boot up started. One service guide is at www.blackviper.com who has
    a new set of listings for SP2, and some people set some services to meet
    their own needs.

    I will try to look through the many (probably 20-30) firewall papers and KBs
    that MSFT has issued for SP2 and see if I can find information for you
    specific to startup. *If you've disabled it, it should not be starting up
    as a rule*, but there are some apps and services that start because they
    have multiple areas of origin for startup including registry keys. Some
    have a dozen.

    What is not uncommon is for people to uncheck an item in msconfig, and find
    that it still starts because of this. That's why if you can, (if there is
    an entry there) services is a better place to turn off the service.

    There are some services that I don't need to run all the time, and to
    conserve CPU I'll keep them off unless I specifically need them. There are
    some services that you don't want to turn off. Winlogin would be one.

    Here are a couple more useful references for services:

    http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm (Scroll Down to Services)

    Chad Harris
    ______________________________________

> [...]

    | posters, but none from anyone who knows for sure why this
    | programs runs in these two places even when it's turned off.
    | My only concern is that it doesn't interfere with NIS
    | firewall. If you know anything about this let me know,
    | because it doesn't seem like disabling Windows firewall in
    | services.msc is the answer, but who knows, it only seems to
    | make the Firewall settings unaccessable once you do this.
    |
    | Pam

    || "Tim" <hwy375@bigred.unl.edu> wrote in message
    || I'm seeing lots of complaints about SP 2. Is it worth
    | getting? I have what I
    || think is a standard system set up (XP home, IE, etc. -
    | nothing that's listed
    || on MS Update's list of troublesome programs.) What are the
    | chances that SP
    || will cause problems? Is it worth updating?

Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP