missing rundll32.exe

I keep encountering the same error message with any
attempt to modify the control panel: "Can't find the file
C:\windows\rundll32.exe (or one of its components). Make
sure the path and filename are correct and that all
required libraries are available."
Is there any way of correcting this short of a reinstall,
because I cannot find the win95 cd for this computer.

If you cannot find the Win95 CD, then how could you consider
reinstalling?
If you have the installation .cab files on your hard drive, you can
extract the file from there:
How to Extract Original Compressed Windows Files [Q129605]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=129605

If not, then try EBay for a Win95 CD.

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion, <wzaow@aol.com> wrote:

>I keep encountering the same error message with any
>attempt to modify the control panel: "Can't find the file
>C:\windows\rundll32.exe (or one of its components). Make
>sure the path and filename are correct and that all
>required libraries are available."
>Is there any way of correcting this short of a reinstall,
>because I cannot find the win95 cd for this computer.

I'm not. That's why I'm looking for another solution

>If you have the installation .cab files on your hard
drive, you can
>extract the file from there:
>How to Extract Original Compressed Windows Files [Q129605]
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=129605

Ok, I found several .cab files from Win95_02 to Win95_20
in a directory C:\\windows\options\cabs. I am having two
issues with extract:
1. I don't know in which file rundll32 is hiding, and
extract does the old DOS trick of scrolling way to fast to
read.
2. Extract displays the contents of the .cab file, but is
not actually sending anything to the destination path.

My command is
extract C:\windows\options\cabs\Win95_03.cab /L C:\atest

Any ideas?

<wzaow@aol.com> wrote:
>>I keep encountering the same error message with any
>>attempt to modify the control panel: "Can't find the
file
>>C:\windows\rundll32.exe (or one of its components). Make
>>sure the path and filename are correct and that all
>>required libraries are available."
>>Is there any way of correcting this short of a
reinstall,
>>because I cannot find the win95 cd for this computer.

If you really want to know which .cab file rundll32.exe is in, the
search *,cab for those containing the text "rundll32.exe"

While it is many years since I use Extract in Win95, I don't follow
your syntax as you don't mention rundll32.exe but try this:

Here's an example of how you would use this utility from a command
prompt: (may wrap)

Extract /a /l c:\Windows C:\Windows\Options
Cabs\win95_02.Cab rundll32.exe

This particular syntax searches all .Cab files beginning with no. 2
and installs that one file into the directory of your choosing (in
this case, the file is being copied to c:\Windows).

....Alan