missing rundll32.exe

I keep encountering the same error message with any
attempt to modify the control panel: "Can't find the file
C:\windows\rundll32.exe (or one of its components). Make
sure the path and filename are correct and that all
required libraries are available."
Is there any way of correcting this short of a reinstall,
because I cannot find the win95 cd for this computer.
3 answers Last reply
More about missing rundll32

    If you cannot find the Win95 CD, then how could you consider
    reinstalling?
    If you have the installation .cab files on your hard drive, you can
    extract the file from there:
    How to Extract Original Compressed Windows Files [Q129605]
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=129605

    If not, then try EBay for a Win95 CD.

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion, <wzaow@aol.com> wrote:

    >I keep encountering the same error message with any
    >attempt to modify the control panel: "Can't find the file
    >C:\windows\rundll32.exe (or one of its components). Make
    >sure the path and filename are correct and that all
    >required libraries are available."
    >Is there any way of correcting this short of a reinstall,
    >because I cannot find the win95 cd for this computer.

    I'm not. That's why I'm looking for another solution

    >If you have the installation .cab files on your hard
    drive, you can
    >extract the file from there:
    >How to Extract Original Compressed Windows Files [Q129605]
    >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=129605

    Ok, I found several .cab files from Win95_02 to Win95_20
    in a directory C:\\windows\options\cabs. I am having two
    issues with extract:
    1. I don't know in which file rundll32 is hiding, and
    extract does the old DOS trick of scrolling way to fast to
    read.
    2. Extract displays the contents of the .cab file, but is
    not actually sending anything to the destination path.

    My command is
    extract C:\windows\options\cabs\Win95_03.cab /L C:\atest

    Any ideas?

    <wzaow@aol.com> wrote:
    >>I keep encountering the same error message with any
    >>attempt to modify the control panel: "Can't find the
    file
    >>C:\windows\rundll32.exe (or one of its components). Make
    >>sure the path and filename are correct and that all
    >>required libraries are available."
    >>Is there any way of correcting this short of a
    reinstall,
    >>because I cannot find the win95 cd for this computer.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    If you really want to know which .cab file rundll32.exe is in, the
    search *,cab for those containing the text "rundll32.exe"

    While it is many years since I use Extract in Win95, I don't follow
    your syntax as you don't mention rundll32.exe but try this:

    Here's an example of how you would use this utility from a command
    prompt: (may wrap)

    Extract /a /l c:\Windows C:\Windows\Options
    Cabs\win95_02.Cab rundll32.exe

    This particular syntax searches all .Cab files beginning with no. 2
    and installs that one file into the directory of your choosing (in
    this case, the file is being copied to c:\Windows).

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html