Here is a list of components that I think I will get within the next week or two. Please advise if there is any compability issues or there are better alternatives. I plan to overlock this system to around 2.4-2.6 gigs if that's possible. Should I get it now, or wait until M2 comes out?
- Thermaltake XASER, Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum/Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
- ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
- eVGA 256-P2-N515-AX Geforce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Desktop PC - Retail
- AMD Opteron 165 Denmark 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model OSA165CDBOX - Retail
- Mushkin eXtreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 500 (PC 4000) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model 991483 - Retail
- NEC Black IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner Model ND-3550A - OEM
- Thermaltake Big Typhoon CL-P0114 120mm Cooling Fan with Heatsink - Retail
you're right, I don't need SLI motherboard since one 7800gt is expensive enought . It's just that I can't find another board with similar features. Beside, I try to get away from one of those northbridge fan to miminize the overall noice.
Interestingly enough, I just initiated a similar thread with generally similar hardware.
I think a selection of the SLI Premium is certainly OK, even if its not going to be used for SLI. The heatpipe is a plus. I admit, at first I thought it was a gimmick, but verified with someone who knows and says its legit. And I think that other x16 slot can be used as an x1 when not in SLI mode.
I choose this same motherboard for these reasons. Its modern, had enough board and BIOS iterations to work out the major issues, consensus is that its quite stable, and it has an outstanding feature set.
I see your looking at Opteron. I have not even looked down the Opteron road. I'll have to compare the performance of them with the 4800+. But, does this board even support the Opteron? A quick peruse of the Asus page for this board does not mention it.