Ghetto-Rigged Fans

Ruby

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
Wassup,

Today I witnessed something interesting...My friend recently purchased 22 Fans to add to his Server-Style case, it's the case that is essentially 2 cases stuck together. The interesting thing, is the way he Ghetto-Rigged his fans. He zip-tied 9 of the 120mm's together into a box, each fan gets 96CFM, and he zip-tied them straight over his mobo, RAM, Vid Card and 2 Opteron Processors. He than zip-tied 3 more 120mm's on the side blowing and 10 more 80mm blowing on his HDD's (10 of 'em) and 2 PSU's (1 for comp, 1 for fans w/ controllers) for a grand total of over 40 Fans in his case. He now has the most ghetto-fied case.

I want anybody who may have some weird or freakish form of cooling to post it and maybe we can get a laugh or learn some ideas. I will try and get pictures of this, as it is the most hillarious site you will ever lay eyes on.

I followed slightly in his footsteps, I took 6 80mm's of 40CFM and did the same over my parts, I just ordered 5 92mm 119CFM Vantec Tornado's to add to the frail, I'm gonna have some fun when they arrive ^_^.

Peace...

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
How are the fans being powered ?

I know people using under 10 fans and they've caused instability by placing heavy load on one of the rails on their PSU.

Can't recall the exact PSU, but it wasn't some cheap PoS or low end wattage either.

The increased power consumption and noise level would never justify doing this.

Ruby

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
The fans are directly connected via 3-Pin conectors to 1 of 3 different fan controllers daisy-chained (2 per channel, 4 channels per controller), the fan controllers are powered by his 2nd PSU using 4-Pin Molex connectors. His 2nd PSU is an Antec True450 (I believe) with a very stable and powerful +12v RAIL (24amps +).

liquidx

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2005
can we get some pics?

I have a specially designed case that i bought off ebay that has a 120mm in front one on left side 2 on right side, 2 in back and a 1 (blowhole i like to call it) on top. Its not freakish cooling, but it keeps my system nice and cool. I also have a AMD AthXP Barton 2500 cooled by a Thermaltake Volcano 11+ Xaser Edition. I bought the airtunnel "ductmod" so that looks kind of funny compared to most cpu coolers. but since installation i have noticed a reduction in temp so it is doing its job. Plus i almost forgot both my HDDs are in removable bays that have a fan in each one as well. So nothing super extravagant but there is my little bit