win 95 freezes after start up

My girlfriends computer freezes out after seconds of
starting up. I've managed to defrag the C drive but this
hasn't made any difference what can I do. I am not
particularly computer literate. does anyone have any
ideas. She doesn't have anything she needs to keep on the
computer.

Cheers

Matt
1 answer Last reply
More about freezes start

    It freezes but you managed to run Defrag.

    Was this in Safe mode or normal mode?

    If it can boot all the way, I would press the F8 key and
    choose the options to boot with bootlog.txt, which creates
    that file, which lists the successes and failures of the
    device drivers, etc., that are loaded.

    You can sometimes find out which program or device driver
    is making Windows freeze from it. You would look for the
    bootlog.txt file and open it.

    If she installed or removed software before that started
    happening, she should remove it (using Add/Remove
    Programs) or reinstall it to see if that is the cause. Any
    changes she made to the computer should be reversed.

    It's an ageing PC, so it may be a hardware problem.

    She has nothing she wants to save, so formatting the C:
    drive and reinstalling Windows from its CD is what you
    should do if you can't find the cause. Just remember to
    disable any virus protection setting in the BIOS before
    you do that because if you don't the setup will be ruined.

    Eric,
    http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/
    http://www.sharedbirthday.co.uk/

Computers Microsoft Windows