win 95 freezes after start up

matt

My girlfriends computer freezes out after seconds of
starting up. I've managed to defrag the C drive but this
hasn't made any difference what can I do. I am not
particularly computer literate. does anyone have any
ideas. She doesn't have anything she needs to keep on the
computer.

Cheers

Matt

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

It freezes but you managed to run Defrag.

Was this in Safe mode or normal mode?

If it can boot all the way, I would press the F8 key and
choose the options to boot with bootlog.txt, which creates
that file, which lists the successes and failures of the
device drivers, etc., that are loaded.

You can sometimes find out which program or device driver
is making Windows freeze from it. You would look for the
bootlog.txt file and open it.

If she installed or removed software before that started
happening, she should remove it (using Add/Remove
Programs) or reinstall it to see if that is the cause. Any
changes she made to the computer should be reversed.

It's an ageing PC, so it may be a hardware problem.

She has nothing she wants to save, so formatting the C:
drive and reinstalling Windows from its CD is what you
should do if you can't find the cause. Just remember to
disable any virus protection setting in the BIOS before
you do that because if you don't the setup will be ruined.

Eric,
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/
http://www.sharedbirthday.co.uk/