Sign in with
Your question

SLI config freezing computer

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 28, 2006 4:23:54 AM

I'm running a dual geforce 7800 gtx 512mb SLI setup, but can't seem to get it to work.

Windows boots up just fine, but when I try and run any graphics intensive software the computer freezes. (interestingly, the sound keeps playing as if nothing is wrong). I've tried everything I can think of, Updated my bios to the latest version, latest video drivers. Nothing has made the slightest difference.

SLI configuration seems to be set correctly, both in the bios and in the nvidia control panel.

Right now I have one card disabled so I can use the computer normally, but any help as to what is going wrong would be greatly appreciated.

My specs:
A8N-SLI Bios revision 1011-001
AMD x2 4800 overclocked to 2575 mhz
2x geforce 7800 gtx 512's
sound blaster x-fi xtrememusic
thermaltake 680 watt PSU
2x raptor 10000rpm 74gb HDs in raid 0 config

More about : sli config freezing computer

January 28, 2006 2:59:19 PM

Sounds like it could be some kind of driver conflict with another component. I would call the tech support for the video cards and see if they can help pin point the problem. Its rare when you actually run into a problem they haven't seen.
January 30, 2006 5:58:08 AM

I talked to EVGA technical support, and after trying a number of different things they came to the conclusion that my power supply didnt have enough amps on the 12v rails to run both cards at once. I have no what to do now, according to the specs on the side of the PSU it has 3 12v rails running at 14, 23 and 15 amps respectively. From what I've read about running an SLI setup 52 amps should be more than enough, so is it possible that the load on my PSU is being distributed wrong, and if so how would I fix that?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm lost at this point.
January 30, 2006 11:06:45 AM

This reminds me of a post I gave to someone a week ago saying about the amps on the 12 volt rail I suppose this is the tweaking post I was talking about. Yes the 12 volt rail is no lessor than 36 amp and this is recommand for sli systems.
!