Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Asus
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows XP
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 28, 2006 7:56:08 AM

i just installed an Asus Asus P5WD2-E Premium motherboard with 2 hitachi 160gb hdd's (in raid0) and another hitachi 250gb hdd. When installing windows, when i initially press F6 to install the 3rd party raid drivers, nothing happens, but a minute or two down the line it will ask me if i want to specify certain drivers to install, and that works fine. The problem is when i partition the hard drives and format them. Windows setup formats them all the way up to 100%, then comes up with an error message saying "setup was unable to format the partition, disk may be damaged". Whats the problem? It recognizes the drive, its showing the correct amount of free space, it says its formated 100%, then all of a sudden it says there is a problem. It does this when i try to format both my Raid array and the single 250gb drive.

More about : trouble formatting harddrives

January 28, 2006 8:31:23 AM

The same thing happened to me a couple years ago. Your HDDs should've came with boot disks to install the partitions into the HDDs. Try booting from those CDs and partitioning with those.

My story was, after a friend of mine had purchased a new WD 60GB IDE drive to use as a slave in his PC... he tried to partition/format it from within XP, and it did the same thing thats happening to you, it goes to 99% then splashes an error message. So I took it home and booted from the CD, then used it to partition the drives. After that I ran an XP disk and then formatted it in windows setup. Now we use the drive in our web server.

I believe XP has an issue with partitioning some new HDDs. Good luck.
January 28, 2006 2:02:11 PM

Quote:
The same thing happened to me a couple years ago. Your HDDs should've came with boot disks to install the partitions into the HDDs. Try booting from those CDs and partitioning with those.

My story was, after a friend of mine had purchased a new WD 60GB IDE drive to use as a slave in his PC... he tried to partition/format it from within XP, and it did the same thing thats happening to you, it goes to 99% then splashes an error message. So I took it home and booted from the CD, then used it to partition the drives. After that I ran an XP disk and then formatted it in windows setup. Now we use the drive in our web server.

I believe XP has an issue with partitioning some new HDDs. Good luck.

I had actually checked the Hitachi Website at one point looking for something i could download to partition the drives instead of windows, but i couldn't find anything. These are OEM drives, so they literally came with nothing except the drive itself (no cd, no cables, no screws)
Related resources
January 28, 2006 3:32:23 PM

I've restarted several times now, to retry the format, and now i can't even get to that part, right before the part where Windows is supposed to format the Drive, i get a blue screen "page fault in non paged area" message, and thats it. I've NEVER had this much trouble (or any trouble at all for that matter) installing windows. :evil: 
January 28, 2006 4:02:25 PM

No. 1 follow the manual to the T.

I dont know if the new hitachi hard drives have jumpers but check to see if they are on automatic or master. I know it shouldnt matter with SATA but I am not sure with raid.

Try changing the sata cables.

Also try getting the latest drivers from the asus site.
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguag...
January 29, 2006 3:31:13 AM

Okay, this problem was a nightmare for me as well (using 2 maxtor 200 sata drives). Basically, I had to do this:

Install the OS on a separate HDD (under 137gb [128gb binary]) and set it up completely for RAID. Then, after initializing the RAID array and formatting it, direct copy your single drive's stuff to your new raid array. Hopefully, you've got a spare Maxtor drive laying around, because MaxBlast is stupid-simple to use, and works great. Also, for large drives, you're basically (there are ways around it) required to format to NTFS.

If you're using both the southbridge SATA (intel) and the onboard RAID, that's also a problem for WinXP installations. In your BIOS, enable ONLY the primary SATA and your secondary IDE (1xS-ATA, 1xP-ATA) for CDrom support. Try it again. Disable the RAID, disable southbridge RAID. You're shooting for 1 hdd and 1 cdrom. No extended IDE support (2xpata, 2xsata).

Since Hitachi is only a multi-billion dollar industry, they can only afford text instructions on formatting and partitioning your hard drive (sarcasm). My solution: Grab an extra Maxtor/Western Digital/Seagate hard drive, and use that manufacturer's software to partiton your new hard drives. If the drive is too old (like an old maxtor 30mb drive), it may not work.

As a guaranteed solution, just to what I did. Install OS on spare HDD, install all required drivers, and copy to desired HDD/array. It's a cinch, and it'll save you many, many hours of headaches.

CHayNZ
!