Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

product key

Tags:
  • Floppy Disk
  • Microsoft
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 3:02:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

i just bought at an auction several copys of win 95 on
floppy disks but there was no product key with them is
there a way to get the product key for them?

More about : product key

September 14, 2004 7:25:31 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

If you search the web using a search phrase such
as "windows 95" + "product key" you should be able to find
some you can try.

Microsoft no longer supports Windows 95, so I don't see
why you shouldn't be able to do that legally.

Eric,
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/
http://www.sharedbirthday.co.uk/


>-----Original Message-----
>i just bought at an auction several copys of win 95 on
>floppy disks but there was no product key with them is
>there a way to get the product key for them?
>.
>
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 12:58:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

Support (or the lack of it) has nothing whatsoever to do
with copyright law. If OP did not acquire a legal license
to run W95 (and it would appear that they didn't, but
that's hard to assess from this distance) then they are
breaking the law by using it, regardless of the current MS
support policy.

>-----Original Message-----
>If you search the web using a search phrase such
>as "windows 95" + "product key" you should be able to
find
>some you can try.
>
>Microsoft no longer supports Windows 95, so I don't see
>why you shouldn't be able to do that legally.
>
>Eric,
>http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/
>http://www.sharedbirthday.co.uk/
>
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>i just bought at an auction several copys of win 95 on
>>floppy disks but there was no product key with them is
>>there a way to get the product key for them?
>>.
>>
>.
>
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 2:00:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

You can try making up a product ID! The secret is that when you add
up all the digits in the second numeric field, the total must be an
even multiple of seven.

Examples:

17177-OEM-1616167-16167
10597-OEM-0021407-56804
30397-OEM-0026382-89293
12697-OEM-0022316-53361
36599-OEM-0009174-29179

1+6+1+6+1+6+7 = 28 which is 4*7
2+1+4+7 = 14, which is 2*7
2+6+3+8+2 = 21, which is 3*7
2+2+3+1+6 = 14, which is 2*7
9+1+7+4 = 21, which is 3*7


Bill Starbuck (MVP)
September 15, 2004 3:18:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

Why do you post somthing that don't work??


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.760 / Virus Database: 509 - Release Date: 9/10/04
Anonymous
September 16, 2004 12:38:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

>Why do you post somthing that don't work??

Because it worked for me and for many other people.

Did you try it and find that it didn't work? If so, do you have an OEM
version of Windows or a Microsoft version? Note that the examples in
my message include "OEM". This indicates that the Windows being
installed is an OEM version. Microsoft versions of Windows have
different ID schemes, some of which involves letters as well as
numbers.

Bill Starbuck (MVP)
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 4:46:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

>I have a OEM version including the book I tried the key on the book and the key's you have and still no-go.

What version of Windows do you have? The original Windows 95, as
released by Microsoft in 1995, had a key with three digits, then a
dash, and then seven digits. I haven't seen an OEM version of that
release, but it may have been something like OEM-1234567. You could
try that and select seven numbers that add to a multiple of 7. For
example: 1223668 adds to 28.

The versions of Windows 95 that was release in 1996 and after follow
the formula I describe earlier.

Bill Starbuck (MVP)
Anonymous
September 18, 2004 9:27:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

A friend of mine gave me the book and original CD but he had made a
copy of it some time before so I wonder by making a copy from it that
it would some how have messed up the original. Think so?

No. I think it is an OEM CD with an unusual ID code.

Search the Internet for "Windows 95". People have sold it for as
little as $5.


Bill Starbuck (MVP)
September 19, 2004 2:39:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

I took the key from the old one and used it to install. It worked but now
get an error message and it didn't install any of the sound which I had been
trying to get.
ERROR (regsvr32 caused invalid page fault in module kernel32.dll at
0137:bff9a3cd)
THANK's


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.760 / Virus Database: 509 - Release Date: 9/10/04
Anonymous
September 19, 2004 9:20:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

You have an OEM version, which implies that it may have been modified
to match specific hardware in a specific model of computer. I suggest
that you go to Device Manager and uninstall the sound drivers that are
there. Then install sound drivers that match the sound card in your
computer. The sound drivers you need normally come on a floppy disk or
CD-ROm with the sound card, or you may be able to download them from
the website of the company that made the sound card.

Bill Starbuck (MVP)
September 20, 2004 3:23:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

There is no sound card. It is built into the MB so I will check IBM sight
and see what I can find.
I have a feeling that since it had win 2000-pro on it that a person can't
really put an older version on so I would have to find a 2000-pro. If I did
a format just wonder if it would completly remove all the 2000 so I could
put this 95 on it. When you do a format does it clean off the MB as well as
the HD?
THANKS


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.760 / Virus Database: 509 - Release Date: 9/10/04
September 20, 2004 6:39:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

"Grumpy" <dalecain@msn.com> wrote in message
news:%23eh6VcznEHA.2616@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> There is no sound card. It is built into the MB so I will check IBM sight
> and see what I can find.
> I have a feeling that since it had win 2000-pro on it that a person can't
> really put an older version on so I would have to find a 2000-pro. If I
> did
> a format just wonder if it would completly remove all the 2000 so I could
> put this 95 on it. When you do a format does it clean off the MB as well
> as
> the HD?
> THANKS
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.760 / Virus Database: 509 - Release Date: 9/10/04
>
>

yes , you would need the same OS cdrom ...

a format will wipe clean your HD .....your MB drivers would all be gone with
it ...

if you are going back to win95 , do some looking to make sure you have all
the required drivers for your MB and other hardware
September 21, 2004 5:40:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

THANK'S Kinda thought that might be the case. Probably have an awful hard
time finding the driver for the sound card.
THANKS


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.760 / Virus Database: 509 - Release Date: 9/10/04
September 22, 2004 12:48:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

"Grumpy" <dalecain@msn.com> wrote in message
news:o 6QlsNBoEHA.1460@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> THANK'S Kinda thought that might be the case. Probably have an awful
> hard
> time finding the driver for the sound card.
> THANKS
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.760 / Virus Database: 509 - Release Date: 9/10/04
>
>

can you identify exactly what model IBM you have ? they may still be
available
September 22, 2004 3:35:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

I have all the info of the IBM and think That I found the correct sound
drivers. When I get them DL and put on a CD I wonder where I should put
them into the IBM or will they just go where they are supposed to?
THANKS


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.760 / Virus Database: 509 - Release Date: 9/10/04
September 22, 2004 7:33:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

"Grumpy" <dalecain@msn.com> wrote in message
news:%234n$lsMoEHA.260@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>I have all the info of the IBM and think That I found the correct sound
> drivers. When I get them DL and put on a CD I wonder where I should put
> them into the IBM or will they just go where they are supposed to?
> THANKS
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.760 / Virus Database: 509 - Release Date: 9/10/04
>
>

if the driver download has a "setup.exe" run that ...it 'should' put the
drivers where they ought to be

otherwise .... go to your sound card in control panel and "update drivers"
then point it to the proper folder on your CD

having fun yet ? :>
September 22, 2004 7:33:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

Thanks I haven't DL it yet but I think it is an exe file. Gonna try to
find it again. Ill let you know.
THANKS


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.760 / Virus Database: 509 - Release Date: 9/10/04
September 23, 2004 12:02:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

"Grumpy" <dalecain@msn.com> wrote in message
news:%23aSc7ROoEHA.2304@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Thanks I haven't DL it yet but I think it is an exe file. Gonna try to
> find it again. Ill let you know.
> THANKS
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.760 / Virus Database: 509 - Release Date: 9/10/04
>
>

I'll try and check back :> good luck
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 2:16:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

Similiar question. I'm trying to fix a co-workers laptop.
I want clean the drive and re-install, he doesn't have the
systems disks. Any way to get the product code from the
windows 95 that is running? I can get windows to startup
in safe mode only.

Cats3forme

>-----Original Message-----
>i just bought at an auction several copys of win 95 on
>floppy disks but there was no product key with them is
>there a way to get the product key for them?
>.
>
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 9:36:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

Don't use the number you see in the MY COMPUTER properties.
Go to start - run and type in "regedit" (without the quotes)
Then click the + sign in front of each of the following:
HKey-local-machine
Software
Microsoft
Windows
The click on the folder "Current Version"
On the right hand side, scroll down to "Product Key"
There you have the key code you need.

<Andreware@J30AD.org> wrote in message news:34624ABB.702C@J30AD.org...
> cats3forme wrote:
>>
>> Similiar question. I'm trying to fix a co-workers laptop.
>> I want clean the drive and re-install, he doesn't have the
>> systems disks. Any way to get the product code from the
>> windows 95 that is running? I can get windows to startup
>> in safe mode only.
>>
>> Cats3forme
>>
>> >-----Original Message-----
>> >i just bought at an auction several copys of win 95 on
>> >floppy disks but there was no product key with them is
>> >there a way to get the product key for them?
>> >.
>> >
> Right-click My Computer.
> Click Properties.
> You'll see something like:
>
> Registered to:
> Andrew Wilcox
> Andreware
> xxxxx-xxx-xxxxxxx-xxxxx
>
> The x's are your product number.
>
> Andrew Wilcox
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 3:46:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

Richard,

Not in Win95.
In Win95, the Registry value is "ProductId" and it is the same as seen
in System Properties.

What you describe is for Win98.

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion, "Richard Goh"
<me@mailinator.com> wrote:

>Don't use the number you see in the MY COMPUTER properties.
>Go to start - run and type in "regedit" (without the quotes)
>Then click the + sign in front of each of the following:
>HKey-local-machine
>Software
>Microsoft
>Windows
>The click on the folder "Current Version"
>On the right hand side, scroll down to "Product Key"
>There you have the key code you need.
>
><Andreware@J30AD.org> wrote in message news:34624ABB.702C@J30AD.org...
>> cats3forme wrote:
>>>
>>> Similiar question. I'm trying to fix a co-workers laptop.
>>> I want clean the drive and re-install, he doesn't have the
>>> systems disks. Any way to get the product code from the
>>> windows 95 that is running? I can get windows to startup
>>> in safe mode only.
>>>
>>> Cats3forme
>>>
>>> >-----Original Message-----
>>> >i just bought at an auction several copys of win 95 on
>>> >floppy disks but there was no product key with them is
>>> >there a way to get the product key for them?
>>> >.
>>> >
>> Right-click My Computer.
>> Click Properties.
>> You'll see something like:
>>
>> Registered to:
>> Andrew Wilcox
>> Andreware
>> xxxxx-xxx-xxxxxxx-xxxxx
>>
>> The x's are your product number.
>>
>> Andrew Wilcox
>
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 3:46:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

Thanks for the correction, I no longer have any W95 computers to check my
comments. Sorry.

"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
news:rdvqo099r2h1oer04ds540ouu061o1ii0j@4ax.com...
> Richard,
>
> Not in Win95.
> In Win95, the Registry value is "ProductId" and it is the same as seen
> in System Properties.
>
> What you describe is for Win98.
>
> ...Alan
>
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>
> In microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion, "Richard Goh"
> <me@mailinator.com> wrote:
>
>>Don't use the number you see in the MY COMPUTER properties.
>>Go to start - run and type in "regedit" (without the quotes)
>>Then click the + sign in front of each of the following:
>>HKey-local-machine
>>Software
>>Microsoft
>>Windows
>>The click on the folder "Current Version"
>>On the right hand side, scroll down to "Product Key"
>>There you have the key code you need.
>>
>><Andreware@J30AD.org> wrote in message news:34624ABB.702C@J30AD.org...
>>> cats3forme wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Similiar question. I'm trying to fix a co-workers laptop.
>>>> I want clean the drive and re-install, he doesn't have the
>>>> systems disks. Any way to get the product code from the
>>>> windows 95 that is running? I can get windows to startup
>>>> in safe mode only.
>>>>
>>>> Cats3forme
>>>>
>>>> >-----Original Message-----
>>>> >i just bought at an auction several copys of win 95 on
>>>> >floppy disks but there was no product key with them is
>>>> >there a way to get the product key for them?
>>>> >.
>>>> >
>>> Right-click My Computer.
>>> Click Properties.
>>> You'll see something like:
>>>
>>> Registered to:
>>> Andrew Wilcox
>>> Andreware
>>> xxxxx-xxx-xxxxxxx-xxxxx
>>>
>>> The x's are your product number.
>>>
>>> Andrew Wilcox
>>
>
!