Scheduled Tasks fail to run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello!

I posted this problem on 8/14/04 and it seems to have baffled the folks on
the public.windowsxp.general newsgroup. I thought I'd try again here.

After about July 14, 2004, my Scheduled Tasks have failed to run in XP Pro.
There is a hotfix (KB 812960) that I downloaded and installed that did not
fix the problem, even though I have the exact symptoms described in the
article. The scheduled tasks do not run, nor can I run them manually by
using right-click, Run. I have the log below of what happens when trying to
start a Scheduled Task.

"Task Scheduler Service"
Started at 8/14/2004 11:23:32 AM
"6FridayMyDocsDifferentialBackup.job" (ntbackup.exe) 8/14/2004 11:23:44 AM
** ERROR **
Unable to start task.
The specific error is:
0x80070006: The handle is invalid.
Try using the Task page Browse button to locate the application.

"cescript.job" (cescript.txt) 8/14/2004 11:24:09 AM ** ERROR **
The attempt to log on to the account associated with the task failed,
therefore, the task did not run.
Verify that the task's Run-as name and password are valid and try again.

"ntbackup.job" (ntbackup.exe) 8/14/2004 11:27:28 AM ** ERROR **
Unable to start task.
The specific error is:
0x80070006: The handle is invalid.
Try using the Task page Browse button to locate the application.

"ntbackup.job" (ntbackup.exe) 8/14/2004 11:27:49 AM ** ERROR **
The attempt to log on to the account associated with the task failed,
therefore, the task did not run.
Verify that the task's Run-as name and password are valid and try again.
[ ***** Most recent entry is above this line ***** ]

The first attempt to start a task by right-click, Run, or by letting it
reach the scheduled time, results in the "0x80070006: The handle is invalid"
error. The second attempt to start it gives the "The attempt to log on to
the account associated with the task failed" error and then "Could not
start" shows up in the Scheduled Tasks window status column.

If I copy the task properties, i.e., the Run command line from the task's
properties page, and paste it into Start, Run, or into a batch file, then
the task runs just fine.

The account used is a local admin account, all service packs are installed
(not sp2 yet), the Task Scheduler service is running, and I have checked the
passwords for all tasks. They are all there and are correct for the admin
account in use.

An interesting thing just happened when I tried to right-click, Run any of
the tasks. As usual the task would not run. If I tried again within five
seconds, the tasks ran fine. If I killed the task, then waited about fifteen
seconds or more, then tried again, the task would not run. If I tried again
within five seconds of that attempt, the tasks run fine. If I again waited
more than a few seconds, the attempt failed again.

See the log below. As you can see, the first attempt failed, then four
seconds later the second attempt succeeded and took three seconds to
complete, then fifteen seconds after the successful run started, it again
failed to start. This pattern goes for all my scheduled tasks (most are
backups to a DVD). I set up the cescript.txt task (a text file on my
computer) just to test if the tasks would start.

"Task Scheduler Service"
Started at 8/14/2004 12:57:28 PM

"cescript.job" (cescript.txt) 8/14/2004 12:57:41 PM ** ERROR **
The attempt to log on to the account associated with the task failed,
therefore, the task did not run.
Verify that the task's Run-as name and password are valid and try again.

"cescript.job" (cescript.txt)
Started 8/14/2004 12:57:45 PM

"cescript.job" (cescript.txt)
Finished 8/14/2004 12:57:48 PM
Result: The task completed with an exit code of (0).

"cescript.job" (cescript.txt) 8/14/2004 12:58:00 PM ** ERROR **
The attempt to log on to the account associated with the task failed,
therefore, the task did not run.
Verify that the task's Run-as name and password are valid and try again.

[ ***** Most recent entry is above this line ***** ]

Why would the task run if I tried it within five seconds of a failed
attempt?

Gregg Hill

"Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote:

>I posted this problem on 8/14/04 and it seems to have baffled the folks on
>the public.windowsxp.general newsgroup. I thought I'd try again here.
>
>After about July 14, 2004, my Scheduled Tasks have failed to run in XP Pro.
>There is a hotfix (KB 812960) that I downloaded and installed that did not
>fix the problem, even though I have the exact symptoms described in the
>article. The scheduled tasks do not run, nor can I run them manually by
>using right-click, Run. I have the log below of what happens when trying to
>start a Scheduled Task.

Microsoft issued a Windows patch in July that caused problems with the
Task Scheduler. I saw the same here and deinstalled the patch, what
solved the problem. The SP2 contains the same patch but it has
obviously been corrected because the problem did not re-occur here
after applying the SP.

--
(tm)

Thorsten,

Thanks for the reply. I will attempt to find the offending patch.

Gregg Hill

"Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message
> "Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
> >I posted this problem on 8/14/04 and it seems to have baffled the folks
on
> >the public.windowsxp.general newsgroup. I thought I'd try again here.
> >
> >After about July 14, 2004, my Scheduled Tasks have failed to run in XP
Pro.
> >There is a hotfix (KB 812960) that I downloaded and installed that did
not
> >fix the problem, even though I have the exact symptoms described in the
> >article. The scheduled tasks do not run, nor can I run them manually by
> >using right-click, Run. I have the log below of what happens when trying
> >start a Scheduled Task.
>
> Microsoft issued a Windows patch in July that caused problems with the
> Task Scheduler. I saw the same here and deinstalled the patch, what
> solved the problem. The SP2 contains the same patch but it has
> obviously been corrected because the problem did not re-occur here
> after applying the SP.
>
> --
> (tm)

Thorsten,

If the fix in SP2 is the same as the hotfix in 812400 and 812960 (same file
versions in both), it may still cause problems. I had already tried the
hotfix in 812960, but it failed to fix the problem.

I missed the workaround to disable the HID service and reboot, so I think
I'll try that now.

Gregg Hill

"Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> Started at 8/14/2004 12:57:28 PM
>
> "cescript.job" (cescript.txt) 8/14/2004 12:57:41 PM ** ERROR **
> The attempt to log on to the account associated with the task failed,
> therefore, the task did not run.
> Verify that the task's Run-as name and password are valid and try again.
>
> "cescript.job" (cescript.txt)
> Started 8/14/2004 12:57:45 PM
>
> "cescript.job" (cescript.txt)
> Finished 8/14/2004 12:57:48 PM
> Result: The task completed with an exit code of (0).
>
> "cescript.job" (cescript.txt) 8/14/2004 12:58:00 PM ** ERROR **
> The attempt to log on to the account associated with the task failed,
> therefore, the task did not run.
> Verify that the task's Run-as name and password are valid and try again.
>
> [ ***** Most recent entry is above this line ***** ]
>
> Why would the task run if I tried it within five seconds of a failed

Disabling the HID service isn't it, either...it was already disabled.

> [...]
> >
> > "cescript.job" (cescript.txt) 8/14/2004 12:57:41 PM ** ERROR **
> > The attempt to log on to the account associated with the task failed,
> > therefore, the task did not run.
> > Verify that the task's Run-as name and password are valid and try
again.

> > "cescript.job" (cescript.txt)
> > Started 8/14/2004 12:57:45 PM
> >
> > "cescript.job" (cescript.txt)
> > Finished 8/14/2004 12:57:48 PM
> > Result: The task completed with an exit code of (0).
> >
> > "cescript.job" (cescript.txt) 8/14/2004 12:58:00 PM ** ERROR **
> > The attempt to log on to the account associated with the task failed,
> > therefore, the task did not run.
> > Verify that the task's Run-as name and password are valid and try
again.

> > [ ***** Most recent entry is above this line ***** ]
> >
> > Why would the task run if I tried it within five seconds of a failed

WhisperingChaos

Honorable
Experienced problem with the exact same symptoms. Log onto an account with administrative privileges, select "Run..." from the sart menu and specify "CHKDSK C: /F" in the "Run" popup dialog where C: identifies the OS drive and /F denotes automatic repair of corrupt file system structures. Press the "Enter" key. Since the OS is using the drive, XP will ask if you want to run the check the next time you reboot. Specify "Y". Please note, that CHKDSK can potentially corrupt/remove files when attempting to recover errors that it finds but I've never experienced a problem. However, it would be prudent to backup your computer before running this utility.

The CHKDSK did find and repair 3 errors on my drive. After it finished, all the tasks that once would not start, now did so!