startup error

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

After a failed attempt to install a dubious program
(definitely not a virus though), windows was working fine.
However, the next time i turned on the computer, only the
quicklaunch buttons and the start menu showed up, no
icons. The only running program was explorer, not the
usual oddly named programs that run in the background. The
computer was not frozen but the start menu would not open
and the quicklaunch buttons could not be pressed. I pushed
ctrl-alt-delete and closed explorer, then pressed the
windows buttons to open Rnnapp from which i ran explorer,
which then worked fine. I have to repeat this every time i
turn on the computer. I think my question should be: how
do i access and edit the startup commands and what should
i write to them? If you have the answer or know what
question i should be asking, please email me. Any advice
is greatly appreciated.

Why not just reinstall Windows on top of the current installation?
Windows' Setup program can often repair a messed-up system.

Bill Starbuck (MVP)