Your question

older games that wont load

Tags:
  • Games
  • Windows XP
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
February 14, 2005 6:39:52 PM

I recently installed a few older games and they dont seem to want to run after installation (they arnt DOS and are compatible with XP). I've updated them with their patches but usually I get an error right after the initial screen saying it has encountered a problem and needs to close down.

These three games are Undying, Alice, and No one lives forever 1. They all seem to be closely related in the way they launch. I wonder what the deal could be... maybe I am missing something minor. I have the latest drivers for my vid card, and latest directx.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know. Thanks

P4 3.0ghz, XP SP1, 1 gig ram, 6800GT

More about : older games wont load

February 15, 2005 9:44:42 AM

Have u run a google search for forums for each of those games? I tend to find that if u find a forum dedicated to the game u will find that the problem has already been documented there. Usually is a better place to start than just a general forum here.

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"
February 15, 2005 10:06:32 AM

Have you tried running them in Windows 98 compatability mode? I have a load of Educational games for my kids and this has worked with a number of them.
Related resources
February 15, 2005 8:25:42 PM

I don't know.. I think its something wrong with my computer cause I just installed WarCraft III and it doesn't want to run either. I even wonder if 6800GT cards are compatible with these games. heh
February 16, 2005 8:57:47 AM

Whenever I get weird probs like that with games I tend to find it's DX at fault.

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"
February 16, 2005 10:26:35 AM

Well don't know what I can do much about that. I just reinstalled DirectX today and didn't do anything. I tested out one of the games on another computer with DX9c and it played fine.
February 20, 2005 2:23:23 PM

I've sometimes found that old DOS games don't like running on NTFS drives... my copy of liesure suit larry 1 was like that. It ran fine once I dumped it on my FAT32 partition. Go figure.
!