older games that wont load

I recently installed a few older games and they dont seem to want to run after installation (they arnt DOS and are compatible with XP). I've updated them with their patches but usually I get an error right after the initial screen saying it has encountered a problem and needs to close down.

These three games are Undying, Alice, and No one lives forever 1. They all seem to be closely related in the way they launch. I wonder what the deal could be... maybe I am missing something minor. I have the latest drivers for my vid card, and latest directx.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know. Thanks

P4 3.0ghz, XP SP1, 1 gig ram, 6800GT
6 answers Last reply
More about older games wont load
  1. Have u run a google search for forums for each of those games? I tend to find that if u find a forum dedicated to the game u will find that the problem has already been documented there. Usually is a better place to start than just a general forum here.

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"
  2. Have you tried running them in Windows 98 compatability mode? I have a load of Educational games for my kids and this has worked with a number of them.
  3. I don't know.. I think its something wrong with my computer cause I just installed WarCraft III and it doesn't want to run either. I even wonder if 6800GT cards are compatible with these games. heh
  4. Whenever I get weird probs like that with games I tend to find it's DX at fault.

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"
  5. Well don't know what I can do much about that. I just reinstalled DirectX today and didn't do anything. I tested out one of the games on another computer with DX9c and it played fine.
  6. I've sometimes found that old DOS games don't like running on NTFS drives... my copy of liesure suit larry 1 was like that. It ran fine once I dumped it on my FAT32 partition. Go figure.
Ask a new question

Read More

Games Windows XP Video Games