homepage keeps changing to unwanted site

Tags:
  • Connection
  • Microsoft
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
September 18, 2004 9:17:56 PM

recently when running a search i ended up on a site i
didnt want (some kind of ad/popup base). now, every time i
connect to the net the page appears as my homepage, and
some of the ads on it are inappropriate (my younger
brother freely uses the computer). each time this happens,
i change the homepage, but when i disconnect it reverts to
the bad one. how do i fix this. i am looking for free
software or advice.

thanks,

chris c

More about : homepage changing unwanted site

Anonymous
September 19, 2004 4:44:41 AM

Have a look here:
Home Page Hijacking - Has Your Browser Been Hijacked?
http://www.gmpservicesinc.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabin...
and
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers.htm#home_page

Update your anti-virus app and then run a full-system virus scan.

Use CWShredder, the CoolWeb removal tool, available here:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
http://aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
Close all browser windows and open apps, start CWShredder and click the Fix button.

Install Ad-Aware 6 free edition, start it, click its 'Check for Updates' link in the
app to install updates, then use it to scan your system, and remove what it finds.
Ad-Aware:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Install, update and run SpyBot Search & Destroy, scan your system, and then remove
the items in RED only.
SpyBot S&D:
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download

Install SpywareBlaster:
Click the link in the app to check for and install updates, then click to 'Enable
all protection'.
Update at least weekly.

Download, unzip, and run Hijack This from one of these locations:
http://computercops.biz/downloads-cat-14.html
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/tools/HijackThis.e...
Unzip to a folder other than your Desktop or the Temp folder, doubleclick
HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log"
button.
Press that, save the log somewhere you can find it (Desktop, My Documents, or
similar).
Most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.

Copy the log files and paste them into a new post at one of these forums:
http://computercops.biz/forums.html

In your post, please state your problem clearly and what you've done so far to fix
it.

The folks there will tell you what to remove.

See the "housekeeping" you should complete before you post your log:
http://aumha.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4075

A tutorial for using Hijack This is located here:
http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/
and an in-depth tutorial is here:
http://aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm

Additional reading:
Dealing with Hijackware
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"cc" <chrischasin@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> recently when running a search i ended up on a site i
> didnt want (some kind of ad/popup base). now, every time i
> connect to the net the page appears as my homepage, and
> some of the ads on it are inappropriate (my younger
> brother freely uses the computer). each time this happens,
> i change the homepage, but when i disconnect it reverts to
> the bad one. how do i fix this. i am looking for free
> software or advice.
>

> thanks,
>
> chris c
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 3:10:16 PM

If anyone can help with Chris' problem....please let me
know too. Having same problem with windows 95.
Thanks

Anonymous
September 21, 2004 6:29:44 PM

Perhaps you are seeing my reply to Chris:

!