Help! Floppy drive refuses to read diskettes

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
a b \ Driver
September 25, 2004 1:53:01 AM

Okay
Suddenly, messages such "device is not ready" or "this
disk is not formatted, do you want to format it now"
started to appear when I insert floppy disks in the drive
A:
Worst thing the device manager won't let me to delete A:
dirve controllers (standard generic drivers) so Windows
can re-detect hardware as suggested here:

us;131690

Strange thing is why Windows won't let me delete current
drivers!!! it displays a message such "select + to
display a list of available drivers for this device"
though I select right controller (expand all drivers).
I made every suggestion from link above with no results
and I'm start guess with proper device failure.

This is a 6 years old IBM 350 model refurbished, Pentium
processor, 48 MB RAM, 2.1 GB HD, NEC floppy drive device.

P.S. I noticed 2 identic generic drivers duplicated
under "floppy disk controllers" in Device Manager.

Please help

Dale
September 25, 2004 11:52:19 AM

"Dale" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Okay
> Suddenly, messages such "device is not ready" or "this
> disk is not formatted, do you want to format it now"
> started to appear when I insert floppy disks in the drive
> A:
> Worst thing the device manager won't let me to delete A:
> dirve controllers (standard generic drivers) so Windows
> can re-detect hardware as suggested here:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-
> us;131690
>
> Strange thing is why Windows won't let me delete current
> drivers!!! it displays a message such "select + to
> display a list of available drivers for this device"
> though I select right controller (expand all drivers).
> I made every suggestion from link above with no results
> and I'm start guess with proper device failure.
>
> This is a 6 years old IBM 350 model refurbished, Pentium
> processor, 48 MB RAM, 2.1 GB HD, NEC floppy drive device.
>
> P.S. I noticed 2 identic generic drivers duplicated
> under "floppy disk controllers" in Device Manager.
>
> Please help
>
> Dale

shutdown and restart in dos
if the drive still does not work...it is simply bad
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 25, 2004 9:09:13 PM

Restart in Safe Mode:
-Start the computer, and as soon as you see the words "Starting Windows 95...",
repeatedly tap the F8 key till the Windows 95 Startup menu (boot menu) appears.
-Use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" and press Enter.

In Safe Mode, open Device Manager.
Expand the Disk Drives category, and remove the floppy disk drives listed there.
Expand the Floppy Disk Controllers category and remove all floppy controllers
listed.
If it exists, expand the "Other" devices category, and remove everything there.

Click OK/Close, then click Start> Shutdown> Restart, to start in normal mode and let
Windows detect the devices.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Dale" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Okay
> Suddenly, messages such "device is not ready" or "this
> disk is not formatted, do you want to format it now"
> started to appear when I insert floppy disks in the drive
> A:
> Worst thing the device manager won't let me to delete A:
> dirve controllers (standard generic drivers) so Windows
> can re-detect hardware as suggested here:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-
> us;131690
>
> Strange thing is why Windows won't let me delete current
> drivers!!! it displays a message such "select + to
> display a list of available drivers for this device"
> though I select right controller (expand all drivers).
> I made every suggestion from link above with no results
> and I'm start guess with proper device failure.
>
> This is a 6 years old IBM 350 model refurbished, Pentium
> processor, 48 MB RAM, 2.1 GB HD, NEC floppy drive device.
>
> P.S. I noticed 2 identic generic drivers duplicated
> under "floppy disk controllers" in Device Manager.
>
> Please help
>
> Dale
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 28, 2004 5:39:51 AM

>P.S. I noticed 2 identic generic drivers duplicated
>under "floppy disk controllers" in Device Manager.
>
>Please help
>
>Dale
>.
Hi!

Try booting your pc with a startup floppy to verify that
drive still works. If so, run regedit.Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\FDC and
look for duplications.Alternativly boot pc to safe mode.
Remove all instances of generic floppy from device manager.

Please reply
Christo
!