Startup

My Problem is that during start up i get the error message
WINDOWS PROTECTION ERROR. WINDOWS WILL RESTART. on
restarting, it goes on safe mode. I have tried
reinstalling and get the same reply.
This is a compaq 1220 laptop. please reply me on the email
address given. i will really appreciate the awnser

thanx

Philo

"Odiemo" <odiemo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My Problem is that during start up i get the error message
> WINDOWS PROTECTION ERROR. WINDOWS WILL RESTART. on
> restarting, it goes on safe mode. I have tried
> reinstalling and get the same reply.
> This is a compaq 1220 laptop. please reply me on the email
> address given. i will really appreciate the awnser
>
> thanx

if it's a faster cpu this may apply (watch the word wrap)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q192/8/41.asp&NoWebContent=1

Has the laptop always had this problem, or is it recent? What did you do just prior
to this error occurring? Did you install any new hardware or software? Did you
reinstall on top of an earlier installation, or is it a fresh install on a clean
hard drive? What is the processor speed of the computer?

Please reply to newsgroup/forum.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Has the laptop always had this problem, or is it recent? What did you do
just prior
> to this error occurring? Did you install any new hardware or software?
Did you
> reinstall on top of an earlier installation, or is it a fresh install on a
clean
> hard drive? What is the processor speed of the computer?

The Compaq 1220 laptop comes with a Cyrix 200mhz CPU. So obviously
a fast CPU is not the problem.

This problem started about a month ago. I have not
installed any hardware nor software. when this problem
begaqn i opted to repair windows 95 but the problem is
persistent. the processor speed is 133mhz

There are a lot of possible causes of a protection error. i suggest following the
troubleshooting procedures for Windows 95, here -
Troubleshooting Windows Protection Errors
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=149962

Since you can boot into Safe Mode without the error, the procedure in this article
will help narrow down what is at fault -
Troubleshooting Windows 95 Startup Problems and Error Messages:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=136337
--

"Odiemo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This problem started about a month ago. I have not
> installed any hardware nor software. when this problem
> begaqn i opted to repair windows 95 but the problem is
> persistent. the processor speed is 133mhz

Hi!

Have you tried restoring windows registry?
Here's how: From command prompt.
cd windows.
attrib -h -r -s user.dat
attrib -h -r -s system.dat
attrib -h -r -s user.da0
attrib -h -r -s system.da0
ren user.dat user.bak
ren system.dat system.bak
copy user.da0 user.dat
copy system.da0 system.dat

Now reboot system. If windows starts up, you might have a
software problem(corrupted registry or missing system
file). If windows does not start, check for cpu
overheating.

Christo

it seems tha i cannot get a solution. do u think
formatting the hard drive will work?? Its my final option
and i am slightly disabled

Have you gone through the procedures in the articles I gave you earlier?