Startup

My Problem is that during start up i get the error message
WINDOWS PROTECTION ERROR. WINDOWS WILL RESTART. on
restarting, it goes on safe mode. I have tried
reinstalling and get the same reply.
This is a compaq 1220 laptop. please reply me on the email
address given. i will really appreciate the awnser

thanx
8 answers Last reply
More about startup

    "Odiemo" <odiemo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > My Problem is that during start up i get the error message
    > WINDOWS PROTECTION ERROR. WINDOWS WILL RESTART. on
    > restarting, it goes on safe mode. I have tried
    > reinstalling and get the same reply.
    > This is a compaq 1220 laptop. please reply me on the email
    > address given. i will really appreciate the awnser
    >
    > thanx

    if it's a faster cpu this may apply (watch the word wrap)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q192/8/41.asp&NoWebContent=1

    Has the laptop always had this problem, or is it recent? What did you do just prior
    to this error occurring? Did you install any new hardware or software? Did you
    reinstall on top of an earlier installation, or is it a fresh install on a clean
    hard drive? What is the processor speed of the computer?

    Please reply to newsgroup/forum.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Odiemo" <odiemo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > My Problem is that during start up i get the error message
    > WINDOWS PROTECTION ERROR. WINDOWS WILL RESTART. on
    > restarting, it goes on safe mode. I have tried
    > reinstalling and get the same reply.
    > This is a compaq 1220 laptop. please reply me on the email
    > address given. i will really appreciate the awnser
    >
    > thanx
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    > Has the laptop always had this problem, or is it recent? What did you do
    just prior
    > to this error occurring? Did you install any new hardware or software?
    Did you
    > reinstall on top of an earlier installation, or is it a fresh install on a
    clean
    > hard drive? What is the processor speed of the computer?

    The Compaq 1220 laptop comes with a Cyrix 200mhz CPU. So obviously
    a fast CPU is not the problem.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    This problem started about a month ago. I have not
    installed any hardware nor software. when this problem
    begaqn i opted to repair windows 95 but the problem is
    persistent. the processor speed is 133mhz

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    There are a lot of possible causes of a protection error. i suggest following the
    troubleshooting procedures for Windows 95, here -
    Troubleshooting Windows Protection Errors
    http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=149962

    Since you can boot into Safe Mode without the error, the procedure in this article
    will help narrow down what is at fault -
    Troubleshooting Windows 95 Startup Problems and Error Messages:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=136337
    --

    "Odiemo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > This problem started about a month ago. I have not
    > installed any hardware nor software. when this problem
    > begaqn i opted to repair windows 95 but the problem is
    > persistent. the processor speed is 133mhz

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    >The Compaq 1220 laptop comes with a Cyrix 200mhz CPU. So
    obviously
    >a fast CPU is not the problem.

    Hi!

    Have you tried restoring windows registry?
    Here's how: From command prompt.
    cd windows.
    attrib -h -r -s user.dat
    attrib -h -r -s system.dat
    attrib -h -r -s user.da0
    attrib -h -r -s system.da0
    ren user.dat user.bak
    ren system.dat system.bak
    copy user.da0 user.dat
    copy system.da0 system.dat

    Now reboot system. If windows starts up, you might have a
    software problem(corrupted registry or missing system
    file). If windows does not start, check for cpu
    overheating.

    Christo
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    it seems tha i cannot get a solution. do u think
    formatting the hard drive will work?? Its my final option
    and i am slightly disabled

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    Have you gone through the procedures in the articles I gave you earlier?

    > it seems tha i cannot get a solution. do u think
    > formatting the hard drive will work?? Its my final option
    > and i am slightly disabled

Windows