FSAutoStart question

GREGORY

Have been setting FSAutoStart with good results.. however many
times FS starts at 1/4 full size and the preview AC is black. What
is causing FS to start like this? Thought it was fixed last night but
not today. Doesn't happen all the time.. and that's the issue.

Is it the `focus' on the CMD window.. i.e. click on desktop so title-
bar goes grey.. etc?

-Gregory

Hi Gregory:

No one has report this on my support forum, nor have I seen this on my
setup.

Regards,
Ken Salter
Author of FSAutoStart

http://www.fsautostart.com

Gregory wrote:
> Have been setting FSAutoStart with good results.. however many
> times FS starts at 1/4 full size and the preview AC is black. What
> is causing FS to start like this? Thought it was fixed last night but
> not today. Doesn't happen all the time.. and that's the issue.
>
> Is it the `focus' on the CMD window.. i.e. click on desktop so title-
> bar goes grey.. etc?
>

> -Gregory

GREGORY

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 18:53:47 -0500, Ken Salter
<ksalter@if_you_dont_know_this_then.com> brought the following to our
attention:

>Hi Gregory:
>
>No one has report this on my support forum, nor have I seen this on my
>setup.
>
>Regards,
>Ken Salter
>Author of FSAutoStart

Ken.. have checked out your forum and decided to post here because
it's quick and easy. What I'm doing now is starting FSAS (cmd) session
and minimizing it right away. Would rather watch it progress along
however.

Another quick item.. what about priority? Have it set to REALTIME.

Just a few minutes ago FS crashed when retrieving MSFS real world
weather. Was able to get RWW earlier this afternoon ok. The RWW
download status/progress box isn't visible. Maybe have too many
network services disabled? A few quirks to iron out. :)

-Gregory

---
>http://www.fsautostart.com
>
>Gregory wrote:
>> Have been setting FSAutoStart with good results.. however many
>> times FS starts at 1/4 full size and the preview AC is black. What
>> is causing FS to start like this? Thought it was fixed last night but
>> not today. Doesn't happen all the time.. and that's the issue.
>>
>> Is it the `focus' on the CMD window.. i.e. click on desktop so title-
>> bar goes grey.. etc?
>>

>> -Gregory

I *highly* recomment not using Real Time. This will starve your
computer and may be the root cause of your problem.

- Ken

Gregory wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 18:53:47 -0500, Ken Salter
> <ksalter@if_you_dont_know_this_then.com> brought the following to our
> attention:
>

>>Hi Gregory:
>>
>>No one has report this on my support forum, nor have I seen this on my
>>setup.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Ken Salter
>>Author of FSAutoStart
>

> Ken.. have checked out your forum and decided to post here because
> it's quick and easy. What I'm doing now is starting FSAS (cmd) session
> and minimizing it right away. Would rather watch it progress along
> however.
>
> Another quick item.. what about priority? Have it set to REALTIME.
>
> Just a few minutes ago FS crashed when retrieving MSFS real world
> weather. Was able to get RWW earlier this afternoon ok. The RWW
> download status/progress box isn't visible. Maybe have too many
> network services disabled? A few quirks to iron out. :)
>

> -Gregory
>
> ---
>
>>http://www.fsautostart.com
>>
>>Gregory wrote:
>>
>>>Have been setting FSAutoStart with good results.. however many
>>>times FS starts at 1/4 full size and the preview AC is black. What
>>>is causing FS to start like this? Thought it was fixed last night but
>>>not today. Doesn't happen all the time.. and that's the issue.
>>>
>>>Is it the `focus' on the CMD window.. i.e. click on desktop so title-
>>>bar goes grey.. etc?
>>>

>>> -Gregory

GREGORY

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 21:56:54 -0500, Ken Salter
<ksalter@if_you_dont_know_this_then.com> brought the following to our
attention:

>I *highly* recomment not using Real Time. This will starve
>your computer and may be the root cause of your problem.
>
>- Ken

Ken.. how about `high' instead of `real time'? Should we take this
discussion over to the support forum? The issue with 1/4 size likely
has to do with video drivers and active windows. Can minimize FSAS
(and not watch it) or simply minimize then restore FS8.. then it's
full-screen.

-Gregory

btw.. had too many network items disabled.. :)

>Gregory wrote:
>> On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 18:53:47 -0500, Ken Salter
>> <ksalter@if_you_dont_know_this_then.com> brought the following to our
>> attention:
>>

>>>Hi Gregory:
>>>
>>>No one has report this on my support forum, nor have I seen this on my
>>>setup.
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>Ken Salter
>>>Author of FSAutoStart
>>

>> Ken.. have checked out your forum and decided to post here because
>> it's quick and easy. What I'm doing now is starting FSAS (cmd) session
>> and minimizing it right away. Would rather watch it progress along
>> however.
>>
>> Another quick item.. what about priority? Have it set to REALTIME.
>>
>> Just a few minutes ago FS crashed when retrieving MSFS real world
>> weather. Was able to get RWW earlier this afternoon ok. The RWW
>> download status/progress box isn't visible. Maybe have too many
>> network services disabled? A few quirks to iron out. :)
>>

>> -Gregory
>>
>> ---
>>
>>>http://www.fsautostart.com

Sure we can. It would be interesting to see if anyone else reports
simalar problems.

"High" is ok, this is what I usually run Flight Sim on.

Regards,
Ken

Gregory wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 21:56:54 -0500, Ken Salter
> <ksalter@if_you_dont_know_this_then.com> brought the following to our
> attention:
>

>>I *highly* recomment not using Real Time. This will starve
>>your computer and may be the root cause of your problem.
>>
>>- Ken
>

> Ken.. how about `high' instead of `real time'? Should we take this
> discussion over to the support forum? The issue with 1/4 size likely
> has to do with video drivers and active windows. Can minimize FSAS
> (and not watch it) or simply minimize then restore FS8.. then it's
> full-screen.
>
> -Gregory
>
> btw.. had too many network items disabled.. :)
>

>>Gregory wrote:
>>
>>>On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 18:53:47 -0500, Ken Salter
>>><ksalter@if_you_dont_know_this_then.com> brought the following to our
>>>attention:

>>>Ken.. have checked out your forum and decided to post here because
>>>it's quick and easy. What I'm doing now is starting FSAS (cmd) session
>>>and minimizing it right away. Would rather watch it progress along
>>>however.
>>>
>>>Another quick item.. what about priority? Have it set to REALTIME.
>>>
>>>Just a few minutes ago FS crashed when retrieving MSFS real world
>>>weather. Was able to get RWW earlier this afternoon ok. The RWW
>>>download status/progress box isn't visible. Maybe have too many
>>>network services disabled? A few quirks to iron out. :)
>>>

>>> -Gregory
>>>
>>>---

stevej

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004

So why have a real time option Ken ?

"Ken Salter" <ksalter@if_you_dont_know_this_then.com> wrote in message
>I *highly* recomment not using Real Time. This will starve your
> computer and may be the root cause of your problem.
>
> - Ken
>
> Gregory wrote:
>> On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 18:53:47 -0500, Ken Salter
>> <ksalter@if_you_dont_know_this_then.com> brought the following to our
>> attention:
>>

>>>Hi Gregory:
>>>
>>>No one has report this on my support forum, nor have I seen this on my
>>>setup.
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>Ken Salter
>>>Author of FSAutoStart
>>

>> Ken.. have checked out your forum and decided to post here because
>> it's quick and easy. What I'm doing now is starting FSAS (cmd) session
>> and minimizing it right away. Would rather watch it progress along
>> however.
>>
>> Another quick item.. what about priority? Have it set to REALTIME.
>>
>> Just a few minutes ago FS crashed when retrieving MSFS real world
>> weather. Was able to get RWW earlier this afternoon ok. The RWW
>> download status/progress box isn't visible. Maybe have too many
>> network services disabled? A few quirks to iron out. :)
>>

>> -Gregory
>>
>> ---
>>
>>>http://www.fsautostart.com

FSAutoStart can be used with any program. I recommend not using Real
Time with Flight Sim, but maybe it would be useful with another program.

stevej wrote:
> So why have a real time option Ken ?
>
> "Ken Salter" <ksalter@if_you_dont_know_this_then.com> wrote in message
>
>>I *highly* recomment not using Real Time. This will starve your
>>computer and may be the root cause of your problem.
>>
>>- Ken
>>
>>Gregory wrote:
>>
>>>On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 18:53:47 -0500, Ken Salter
>>><ksalter@if_you_dont_know_this_then.com> brought the following to our
>>>attention:

>>>Ken.. have checked out your forum and decided to post here because
>>>it's quick and easy. What I'm doing now is starting FSAS (cmd) session
>>>and minimizing it right away. Would rather watch it progress along
>>>however.
>>>
>>>Another quick item.. what about priority? Have it set to REALTIME.
>>>
>>>Just a few minutes ago FS crashed when retrieving MSFS real world
>>>weather. Was able to get RWW earlier this afternoon ok. The RWW
>>>download status/progress box isn't visible. Maybe have too many
>>>network services disabled? A few quirks to iron out. :)
>>>

>>> -Gregory
>>>
>>>---

GREGORY

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:16:29 +0100, "stevej" <nopam@nospam.net>
brought the following to our attention:

>So why have a real time option Ken ?

after clicking on the desktop and pressing F1.. a search
for `priority' in Win2k describes DOS and PIF files. In Task
Manager one can view and select `priority' of processes.
Haven't found any such switch in a typical desktop icon.

Can one add `priority' switch to desktop shortcut target line?

-G

>"Ken Salter" <ksalter@if_you_dont_know_this_then.com> wrote in message
>>I *highly* recomment not using Real Time. This will starve your
>> computer and may be the root cause of your problem.
>>
>> - Ken
>>
>> Gregory wrote:
>>> On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 18:53:47 -0500, Ken Salter
>>> <ksalter@if_you_dont_know_this_then.com> brought the following to our
>>> attention:

>>> Ken.. have checked out your forum and decided to post here because
>>> it's quick and easy. What I'm doing now is starting FSAS (cmd) session
>>> and minimizing it right away. Would rather watch it progress along
>>> however.
>>>
>>> Another quick item.. what about priority? Have it set to REALTIME.
>>>
>>> Just a few minutes ago FS crashed when retrieving MSFS real world
>>> weather. Was able to get RWW earlier this afternoon ok. The RWW
>>> download status/progress box isn't visible. Maybe have too many
>>> network services disabled? A few quirks to iron out. :)
>>>

>>> -Gregory
>>>
>>> ---

stevej

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004

Ken,

OK thanks for the info, fortunately I don't have any other programs that set
the pc almost on fire quite like flightsim ;-)

Steve

> FSAutoStart can be used with any program. I recommend not using Real
> Time with Flight Sim, but maybe it would be useful with another program.
>
> stevej wrote:
>> So why have a real time option Ken ?
>>
>> "Ken Salter" <ksalter@if_you_dont_know_this_then.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I *highly* recomment not using Real Time. This will starve your
>>>computer and may be the root cause of your problem.
>>>
>>>- Ken

Open a command window and type "start /?". You might see some
interesting info.

Regards,
Ken

Gregory wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:16:29 +0100, "stevej" <nopam@nospam.net>
> brought the following to our attention:
>

>>So why have a real time option Ken ?
>

> after clicking on the desktop and pressing F1.. a search
> for `priority' in Win2k describes DOS and PIF files. In Task
> Manager one can view and select `priority' of processes.
> Haven't found any such switch in a typical desktop icon.
>
> Can one add `priority' switch to desktop shortcut target line?
>
> -G

GREGORY

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:49:38 -0700, Lawn Dart
<willkayakforfoodREMOVE_THIS@gmx.net> brought the following to our
attention:

>Hi Gregory,
>
>On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:17:27 -0400, you wrote:
>
>> Can one add `priority' switch to desktop shortcut target line?
>
>Yes. For fs9, here's what Bill Leaming posted a few times here (to be
>put in the "Target:" path):
>
>%comspec% "/C start /HIGH fs9.exe"

ok.. that worked.. and checked out in Task Manager displaying `High'.

Also in Task Manager is `Affinity' with check boxes:

[x] CPU 0 [x] CPU 1

By default it seems multi-threaded EXEs have both CPUs checked. I'd
like to experiment with tasks secondary to MSFS like WeatherSet...
assigning them to CPU 1 etc.

Any tips on cmds assigning CPU? i.e. affinity?
the Win2k HELP files are so great.

-G